Automatic Login - Discussion

Reaction score
Awesome article!!!! :cool: BUT...
What do I do if I want to undo this? :confused:

Reaction score
Goto User Accounts and place a check in the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

If the guest login is disabled and no other accounts exist. Windows will skip the Login Screen.

This is all I do to stop the Login Screen. I never create a password for the main login and disable the guest login.

Reaction score
I dnt think u understand what i said :( - I read the article and see the step by step instruction no how to enable that "tweak" but what if i want to UNDO that meaning i would like to enter passwords again?

Reaction score
Do as I said and follow the steps again placing the check back in the box.

I must have confused you with the second half of my post. That was an addition to the article not intended for your answer. My answer for you was the text above the picture.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Auto login may be OK to some, but it is not the best choice to make. True, it's convenient, but should you have guests over, you can't spend every minute guarding your computer. That's one reason mine is in my personal bedroom, but still, I don't have an external lock on the door. Should you be having a cookout or doing something outdoors or in the basement, one or more of your "guests" may be going through your computer. That would be grounds for that person to never set foot in my door again, regardless of who may see my actions as being harsh or unreasonable. So to avoid any problems, I keep my PC passworded, even when the screen saver comes on. However, this is everyone's personal choice to make, I'm just describing a scenario that commonly takes place, even with relatives.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I so agree Cat. A few years ago we had hubbies brother staying over for a few days and he likes to go to NSFW sites so just before he was to stay I made sure my XP (what I was using at the time) was totally password protected.

I knew it worked when I was awakened by the computer powering on, then after a min or so, it was powered down. (I guess he thought he'd get in some 'secret' surfing, LOL, not when I'm around, hehehe)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
On our home computers we (me and the wife) do log on but we know each others pass ..... I'm not allowed secrets :D

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Since I am the only person to use my computer I don't worry about it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Since I am the only person to use my computer I don't worry about it.
That is the best practice, it's mine, too. But what if someone should crash into your crib while you're gone? Most likely, they wouldn't care for the info on your computer at the time. They would just steal it, along with anything else they could get their hands on. But they couldn't get your info, as long as it's passworded. That would be like being robbed twice, should they get the right info.

Reaction score
But they couldn't get your info, as long as it's passworded.
The passwords can be reset with software from the BootCD's you downloaded awhile back. I've not tried them on Win7 but they work for XP. So if your computer is stolen and they know about the BootCD programs, your passwords are useless. If you are so paranoid, maybe the Bitlocker Encryption Program will work better for you.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, that costs too much for me. I use CCleaner every night to cleanse my PC of all temp internet files,cookies and all kinds of files that I wouldn't want to be found. I reinstall all of my OS's on a monthly basis, saving only the installation file on disc for my preferred programs. It's a lot of work, but I have plenty of time to do it. I guess you could say that I'm the kind of person that if there's a way to lock something up to keep a thief out, I'll find a way to do it. You may be right, I'm a little paranoid, but after having my home ransacked twice over a four year span by a couple of punks looking for pain medications, I have reason to be. But they never found what they were looking for, and were caught after the second time. They're both serving a minimum of 25 years as of last year.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That is the best practice, it's mine, too. But what if someone should crash into your crib while you're gone? Most likely, they wouldn't care for the info on your computer at the time. They would just steal it, along with anything else they could get their hands on. But they couldn't get your info, as long as it's passworded. That would be like being robbed twice, should they get the right info.

Back in '87 my apt was broken into in Tulsa. They took the new stereo setup all my CDs and stuff. Even took my comforter off of my king-size waterbed. They left the computer though, it was an Atari 520 ST.

The cops said the robbers probably weren't smart enough to figure how to hook it back up!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad that your computer didn't get gone, you know like I what's it's like to be crashed in on. The second time it happened to me, a neighbor seen what was happening and called 911. They were caught on the spot, and since I was in the house at the time and being handicapped at that, the charges brought against them were more serious. They still have 24 years to think about their actions. I have no use for a thief whatsoever.

Reaction score
Never use password. any one can use safe mode and create their own account. Use a finger print reader or use facial reconition software.

Reaction score
Glad that your computer didn't get gone, you know like I what's it's like to be crashed in on. The second time it happened to me, a neighbor seen what was happening and called 911. They were caught on the spot, and since I was in the house at the time and being handicapped at that, the charges brought against them were more serious. They still have 24 years to think about their actions. I have no use for a thief whatsoever.
Thives are really nice I have one to destroy my broken computers, he comes and steals with permission of course and takes them to smash them. Oh and the emergency number is 000 or 112

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Never use password. any one can use safe mode and create their own account. Use a finger print reader or use facial recognition software.
I wouldn't say that is very true as password protecting data (in the correct way, using something like TrueCrypt) is going to be much, much more secure than a fingerprint reader or anything like that.

The windows password protection isn't designed to be much more than a deterrent, and using another method to validate a login won't change that ;) Physically removing the drives and accessing the data on another PC, or even using a boot CD, will allow you to access any data in most cases.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score

I hope there NOT enjoying there sentence mate.

Reaction score
This is great for me, as the only one who uses this computer. The stuff I don't know. Thanks.

Ask a Question