Auto-correct "é" from "e//" -- How to disable?

Reaction score
OK, this has been bugging me for a while, so I just gotta bite the geek bullet and ASK:

My usual online persona, going back to the days of CompuServe forums (how old does that make me?), include a signature like "//Steve//" at the end of most messages. Same for emails.

Unfortunately, for some reason, everything in Windows -- from IE to Word to whatever else you can name -- seems to want to convert the last three keystrokes to a é character. I'm not even sure of the NAME of the character, much less how to turn this off.

I can get the desired results by typing a space between the "e" and the two backslashes, then coming back and removing the space, but if I just type the three keystrokes in sequence the auto-correction kicks in.

I've searched everywhere I can to try to find a solution, but have so far come up dry. It's not specific to the Office 2007 auto-correct, as far as I can tell, since it's happening in other non-Office applications as well. So if anyone here knows what the heck I can do to change this back the way it's supposed to be, I'm all ears...!

Thanks in advance.

//Steve//

Ask a Question