ATI Graphics Cards...

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about upgrading to a better GPU and I've decided that I want to try ATI. I find their model numbering system extremely foggy, so could someone point me in the direction of the ATI equivalent of the GeForce 9800 GT/GTX+?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if trying to find an ATI card from the NVIDIA equivilent is the best idea, as it would be possible to match a card in terms or price or performance on that card.

According to these charts (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html) the closest in terms of performance is probably the ATI 4770.

If you let us know the budget then I'm sure we can come up with some good recommendations for the ATI card to go for :)

Reaction score
The HD 4770 is VERRRY good for its price...
BUT having looked around myself (and asked on here too!) for a tiny bit more money you can get the HD4850...
okay maybe not TINY bit ...

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Haha! So I guess my budget would be anything up to/below $130. Thanks everyone, I'm gonna go check out the 4850. :) :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I've seen more than a few 4870's for under $130 now, so do look around a little as you might find a really nice deal out there. ;)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Looks like a good one, the 1GB memory helps especially if you use medium to higher resolutions. :)

Reaction score
I hope you didn't get the 4850 as it's got major issues with Win7.
Why would you say this about all 4850's? I hope you are not making this statement because of one experience. I do not like people trying to tarnish a name because of one experience. Everything has it's lemons. Once again someone is pointing a finger at Windows 7, when it is more than likely a bug in the graphics driver.

Reaction score
The 4850 works very well on Windows 7, as does every card in the 4xxx and 5xxx lineup.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, wow this is an old thread. I'm confirmed on getting the XFX HD 5770... Looks pretty good. Did anyone hear about the HD 5970? ATI is the market leader now! :) :) :D

Reaction score
Why would you say this about all 4850's? I hope you are not making this statement because of one experience. I do not like people trying to tarnish a name because of one experience. Everything has it's lemons. Once again someone is pointing a finger at Windows 7, when it is more than likely a bug in the graphics driver.
+1, although it's most likely an issue with an independent system and other drivers on. ATI has ben extremely solid as of late. And so has NVIDIA for that matter.

Reaction score
Well I guess I should've posted my whole story then. I'm not trying to tarnish anything, and I've got the ATI HD4850, which runs beautifully and I love it. However, during installation of Win7, I was stuck at the final setup page, continuously, after using three different versions.

System:
Phenom x4 9750
4GB A-Data DDR2-800
WD 10K raptor 32gb
Seagate 1TB
ATI Radeon HD4850 Gainward Ed.
Thermaltake 400W

Do you know what the problem was? The drivers included in the Win7 setup were causing BSOD with my HD4850. I eventually stuck in my friends GeForce (an older card, PCI-E nonetheless) and the final setup ran smoothly and I could get into Windows. I then switched my card back in, ran in safe mode, and updated the drivers.

So please tell me this is not an issue.

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense :)

Thanks for posting back and clarifying the topic.
I am happy you found a work around

And yes I do see that as an issue. The cards should work with windows 7 generic video drivers until install has completed.

Ask a Question