ATI AHCI Compatible RAID Driver

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to install the Windows 7 32-Bit upgrade on my Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop and I get an error that says that I need to update my ATI AHCI Compatible RAID Driver. I went into the Update Device Drivers as suggested in the instructions and tried to upgrade that driver, but it says I have the latest driver for it. So I tried restarting my laptop and ran the upgrade setup again, and got the same error message.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get it to upgrade? I tried searching all over and can not find a newer version than what I have (2.5.1540.48).

Thanks,
Mike

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Was this a Windows 7 upgrade from Dell? If so, they should release newer drivers on this page at some point soon:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...ID=INS_PNT_PM_1721&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You could try uninstalling the ATI AHCI Compatible RAID drivers in device manager and see if there are any from Windows Update that it can use instead. Otherwise, you can backup your files and do a clean install - although that's not ideal.

Reaction score
This is not an upgrade from Dell, it is from the student discount. I tried downloading the drivers from the Dell website but had no luck. How would it work if I did a clean install? Would it automatically find the drivers I need?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This is not an upgrade from Dell, it is from the student discount. I tried downloading the drivers from the Dell website but had no luck. How would it work if I did a clean install? Would it automatically find the drivers I need?
I'm hesitant to say yes, as I'm not totally sure... but I would have thought it would work fine. Perhaps wait and see if someone more knowledgeable knows what the problem is, as I've not seen an error in the upgrade adviser like this.

If you do go for a clean install, just be sure to make a image backup of your entire drive. :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I looked at the AMD website but they don't seem to offer ANY drivers for the M690T chipset in your laptop...

As Ian said Windows 7 should work, but we can't be entirely sure. Windows 7 should include the latest driver available given it is an older chipset.

Ask a Question