SOLVED ASUS Endless Statup Repair Loop

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hope you can help me, because I'm getting desperated! :(

My Eee PC Flare Series Asus, Windows 7 Starter, has started a System Recovery and it does never finish! I boot it, the Asus logotype appears, then ""Windows is loading files" and then the System Recovery Options tab appears. It has an option for selecting a keyboard input method and says "Next" or "Cancel". If I press cancel it asks me "Are you sure you want to exit and restart your computer?", and this actually resends me to the same point. So, if I press "Next" it starts "Searching for problems". Then it says "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically", and I can choose between "Finish" (the computer shuts down and I must begin again) or "Cancel" ("Are you sure you want to exit Startup Repair and restart your computer?")
So the thing is, anything I do takes me to the same point!! I would appreciate your generous help so much. :) Excuse my English and my expressions, but this is driving me nuts. :(

Oh, btw, I've read some posts of peopole with pretty the same problem. No F5 nor F8 stuff worked for me neither, and I don't have a disk drive (it's a netbook). Thanks.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have a disk drive; your hard drive may be failing but you do have one. I think you may mean you don't have a CD/DVD-Rom drive. In which case you will want to get a 4GB USB thumb drive to create a bootable W7 32-bit Starter. Note: All information on the thumb drive will be erased so use an new/empty drive.

Unfortunately we don't have links to starter versions of W7 so what you would need to do is download W7 SP1 32-bit "Professional" in your language and then edit the ISO and remove ei.cfg to make it an "all version" (See HERE). Then you will need the "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool" from Microsoft to write the edited ISO to the flash drive.

After that go to your netbook BIOS and set it to boot to USB first. Then I would probably try a start-up repair first (bottom corner of installation menu). You might also use the advanced options and run chkdsk on the hard drive to see if it is failing and needs replaced. Worst case you reinstall Windows - make sure you have your license key first, just in case it is not embedded in an SLIC table in your BIOS.

OR

It's also possible you were infected with a virus, in which case instead of W7 on a thumb drive you might put an anti-virus on a bootable thumb drive and boot to that to see if it can remove the virus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You have a disk drive; your hard drive may be failing but you do have one. I think you may mean you don't have a CD/DVD-Rom drive. In which case you will want to get a 4GB USB thumb drive to create a bootable W7 32-bit Starter. Note: All information on the thumb drive will be erased so use an new/empty drive.

Unfortunately we don't have links to starter versions of W7 so what you would need to do is download W7 SP1 32-bit "Professional" in your language and then edit the ISO and remove ei.cfg to make it an "all version" (See HERE). Then you will need the "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool" from Microsoft to write the edited ISO to the flash drive.

After that go to your netbook BIOS and set it to boot to USB first. Then I would probably try a start-up repair first (bottom corner of installation menu). You might also use the advanced options and run chkdsk on the hard drive to see if it is failing and needs replaced. Worst case you reinstall Windows - make sure you have your license key first, just in case it is not embedded in an SLIC table in your BIOS.

OR

It's also possible you were infected with a virus, in which case instead of W7 on a thumb drive you might put an anti-virus on a bootable thumb drive and boot to that to see if it can remove the virus.
Thank you, TrainableMan. I eventually took it to the place I bought it, and I think that what the shopkeeper did was what you've explained me. I'm going to download that bootable so that I can (try to) do it on my own if it happens any other time. I was told that the problem was probably on the boot, and not on the hard disk (oh, thanks for that of the CD/DVD-Rom drive -you're enterely on reason), so that would make things easier. I was able to take everything out of it, so not bad. Thank you again for your time. :) Kind regards.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it working.

Have a great day.

Ask a Question