SOLVED Anti Virus Software

Reaction score
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good free anti virus programme. My version at the moment is Norton which has been giving me problems and I am going to remove it and I would like some recomendations.

Ken

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Good AND free? That's an oxymoron...

You could try AVG, I guess.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good AV program and it's free.

A lot of people here have extolled the virtues of MSE.

Avira has a very good free AV program also.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
MSE is a joke. Its detection rates are horrible compared to more seasoned products, and it severely lacks in configuration options.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
MSE is a joke. Its detection rates are horrible compared to more seasoned products, and it severely lacks in configuration options.
I was just suggesting more options for his question. No need to get snippy about it! :p

Besides it's best to just purchase an AV program anyway. The following is a good method to try AVIRA for 3 months free.

Go to: https://license.avira.com/en/promotion-hylm9fbv7chaxs8zbl83?id=JVgkM1BNUn

and get a free 3 months license key for free.

After your three months is up just go and get another by giving another EMAIL address.

You can get AVIRA Premium Securiy Suite 2010 from this link:
http://www.avira.com/en/downloads/avira_premium_security_suite.html

Choose the 2nd option for the full download of about 37.6MB.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thank you ffor your sugestions I will try the all.
Good idea !, I quite often change security across our Computers ... I like trying new stuff, recently we installed Avast 5 on one Computer and myself and the wife like it :)

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I have been using AVAST for a couple of years and am quiet happy with it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was an Avast user for two years, then switched to MSE a couple of months ago. There was nothing wrong with Avast, just the audible updating twice a day and the rate of false alarms was climbing. MSE updates silently, I have it to update and do a short scan daily when I know it's being used, it doesn't noticeably slow the PC. Microsoft outdid themselves last year, releasing Windows 7, MSE and Bing.:congrats:

Reaction score
I have Beta tested Windows 7 for over a year. Using Avast 4.8 and now Avast 5. It is a Great free anti-virus. It works with XP, Vista and 7. You cant go wrong with it. I also use it on every machine I repair as well.

Reaction score
Antivirus

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good free anti virus programme. My version at the moment is Norton which has been giving me problems and I am going to remove it and I would like some recomendations.

Ken

AVAST 5 for sure! ;)

Norton will just choke your system

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have Beta tested Windows 7 for over a year. Using Avast 4.8 and now Avast 5. It is a Great free anti-virus. It works with XP, Vista and 7. You cant go wrong with it. I also use it on every machine I repair as well.
I used Avast as my main AV for two years, I agree, it is a really good product. I still use the latest version on Win 2K Pro, which hardly sees daylight anymore. I recently switched to MSE, but Malwarebytes found an ugly registry entry today. There's a strong chance that I'll switch back to Avast. But I liked 4.8 better, you know, the look and feel of it. I was used to it, hopefully, the protection isn't watered down. Welcome to the fourms, Vince, and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Ask a Question