anti spy-/malware

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is the right place to ask about this:

Which anti spy-/malware solution is recommended? My antivirus is now MSE, as I understand that is the system which causes the least problems with windows, but I would still like to have a dedicated spy-/malware protection.

Running win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Thx...

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but I would still like to have a dedicated spy-/malware protection.
That's exactly what you have with MSE, which has consistently proven itself to be a top tier anti-malware, to include spyware, solution.

Reaction score
I'm using SuperAntispyware and Spybot S&D for imunisation.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I also use Spybot Search & Destroy ... in addition to Malwarebytes.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I gave up on SpyBot S&D a couple years ago, shortly after giving up on AdAware. AdAware got too big for their britches and I found that SB S&D was not providing any additional protection over what I was getting with my regular real-time anti-malware solution. And TeaTimer kept interfering with other things. So currently I use MSE and Windows Firewall, and I avoid risky practices. I also conduct supplemental scanning with MBAM, but it has never found anything that got by my real-time security defenses - again vindicating my decision to dump SB S&D and AdAware.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm using S&D only for imunisation, nothig else
You should be using something else, at least in addition to SB S&D. Spybot is NOT an anti-malware program. As noted here, it is an anti-spyware program. It does NOT detect or remove or protect from viruses, worms, or other malware.

At one time, when spyware first became prevalent, the one-two punch of SB S&D and AdAware were the commonly recommended by many to provide a tiered approach to combating spyware. But not any longer.

Reaction score
That's not I ment

I only use S&D only for imunisation

In adition I use:
SuperAntispyware
Avira Antivirus
Comodofirewall

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Okay - thanks for clarifying.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using MSE as my main AV/Malware solution for over a year now, along with Malwarebytes (MBAM), which recently upgraded to version 1.50. Also, I scan bi-weekly with the ESET Online Scanner.

And use the No Script option in Firefox to my advantage, as well as using safe computing practices, such as not opening spam, don't click onto ads, etc. There's a lot that you can do at your level to stay secure.

So far, so good.

Cat

Ask a Question