Amplifying Sound (telephone)

Reaction score
So I work customer service and the headsets we use in the center are crap. I have the volume cranked up as high as possible but still have problems hearing once in a while. Anyone know of a way to amplify sound in the phone chord itself, besides a amplifier? I'm not paying 50 bucks. I'd rather expose the wiring and solder in a diode or something. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi Charlie

It's abit more complicated than using a single component. The simplest way would be to use a set of amplified speakers. Take the speakers out and connect your headset to where the speaker was. then plug the input to the amp to the phone line where you normally plugged your headset. Afterward you will have an amplifier for your headset with the volume control from the amplified speaker.

Anything else would require an Electronics Degree to understand.

If you wanted to try a few things as in a hobby to learn. There are kits you could buy for small amp projects but they are not designed well enough for practical use.

Reaction score
well that's a little discouraging, but yeah not a good idea to take short cuts, might not be safe either. thanks for the input

Ask a Question