A Web Page Closes IE11 but Not IE10

Reaction score
When I attempt to go to thestory.org using Windows 7 Home and IE11 I receive a notice that IE11 has closed and is attempting to reopen. It can't reopen.

IE10 on another of my computers will open the web site properly.

I tried to re-download IE11 but it won't because, apparently, my installed version of IE11 is newer than the one Microsoft is downloading.

So I tried to download IE10 from Microsoft. I received a notice that IE10 is already installed.

I evidently have some setting that is causing this problem so I used Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Reset but no joy.

I think I can go to the update list, remove IE updates to get back to IE9 or 10 and then just stop there or install IE11 again, but the cause may not reside in IE11, it may be firewall related or elsewhere.

Does anyone have a suggestion for clearing this problem?

I'm rapidly growing tired of Windows.

Reaction score
A workaround type.....

Can you go back to the website long enough to copy the url ( address )?
If yes, do so > then on IE11, at the top, click Tools > select Compatibility View Settings > under Add this website, paste the address > click Add > the website address is now in the Compatibility View box > click Close when done.
Now try to access that same website again.
Does it work ?

If that does not work for you, I have one more method.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply, David.

I should have posted that I have already tried Compatibility View and Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Reset.

I may start in Safe Mode just to see if it's okay then.

Reaction score
Try this........
Open IE11 > press F12 key > at the bottom, click Browser Mode: IE11 > check Internet Explorer 10 ( or whichever IE version you were using before IE11 )
Now try to access that thestory.org website.
Whether this works or not, press F12 key again to exit Developer Tools mode.

Reaction score
Thanks again. I didn't know that existed.

Selecting F12, Mode, Emulation String, IE10 didn't help. IE11 still sensed an error and attempted to close but I was able to stop it from doing so by rapidly canceling the second webpage opening attempt and closing the tab.

Reaction score
I have 2 computers. One with Win 8.1 Pro and Ie11. One with Win 7 Home Premium SP1 and IE10.

In my Win 8.1, there is at least one web site that would not let me see the past episodes, while I am ok to do so in my Win 7.

A few days ago, I installed IE11 to my Win 7 and I was not able to see the same episodes anymore.
I eventually uninstall IE11 and back to IE10.

If you have exhausted the search for solution and decided to uninstall IE11, here is how :
*** IE is considered as update. As such you can't uninstall it in Programs and Features. It's not there.***

Start button > in the search box, type programs and features > Enter > left side, click View Installed Updates > scroll down to Microsoft Windows heading to find Windows Internet Explorer 10 > right click > click Uninstall.
Reboot. The system will revert itself back to its previous IE version automatically.

IE10 will come up in Windows Update again, and it will be installed if Windows Update is set at Automatic.
By setting Windows Update at Manual it will give you option to install or not to install.
Start > in the search box, type windows update > press Enter > left side, click Change Settings > under Important Updates, click the pointer and change it to " Download updates but let me choose whether to install Them " > click OK when done.
How to “ hide “ or “ restore “ hidden updates :
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I had in mind when, in my OP I wrote, "I think I can go to the update list, remove IE updates to get back to IE9 or 10 and then just stop there or install IE11 again."

Thanks for confirming that it's possible to remove updates* and especially for the SxS process. I probably won't try it until later tonight.

* The airline industry coined the word deplane. I suppose to them removing an update would be downdating.

Reaction score
It's still not solved.

I haven't removed the update. I periodically attempt to use the web site—no joy.

I'm waiting to see if it's corrected by one of the thousands of Microsoft updates that take place periodically.

My Apple-using friends say they don't have this problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I get the error too; the problem would seem to be with the website. If Thestory.org wants their website to work with IE then they will need to code it with IE-correct syntax; don't hold your breath waiting on Microsoft to write an exception for them.

It is always good to have an alternative, install another browser. That website works fine in Firefox and Chrome.

Reaction score
May I install Firefox in such a way that I only use it to access thestory.org and use IE the rest of the time?

I prefer to avoid Chrome since it's google. I don't like their data acquisition practices.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What I would recommend is that you make thestory.org your homepage in the Firefox browser. That way you simply open Firefox and it will go straight to that site. You can access other sites with Firefox if you choose or you can simply close (or minimize) it and use IE for the rest of your surfing.

NOTE: If you get emails from thestory.org that include links, when you click links it will always use your default browser. This means if IE is your default browser & you click an email link directing it to thestory.org then it will attempt to open in IE & bomb; to use the link you have to actually open Firefox and then copy & paste the URL from the email into the Firefox address line. On the other hand if you make Firefox your default browser then links from thestory.org will work fine but links you follow from other sites' emails will open in Firefox too. Basically, you can manually open any browser and go to any site you want but, you cannot create a conditional URL association for email links that says open Firefox if it contains thestory.org otherwise open IE.

Ask a Question