A Professional Email Address

Reaction score
Have Google'd this first!

After researching the entire day, I realized that the best kind of professional email, is one that has both your first and last name in it, preferably one that includes your entire first and last name (in the form of "firstname.lastname[@]domain.com") and not just your first inital and entire last name, but would an underscore be a valid substitute for the period? I love using underscores, and looks more correct anyway, since there's supposed to be a space between your first and last name, and at times when that's not allowed, an underscore is supposed to be used, but the period is more commonly used...so just wondering if using an underscore is awkward.

Next question, I was wondering how I should make a professional username as well. Some companies, require you to make an account on their website if you want to apply for an internship or job. I made the mistake of registering of "MJOLNIR" on there, and I can't edit that username, so meh, I'll just make another account.

Would a professional username just be "firstname lastname" with that space between them? I'm guessing so, and of course the first and last name being capitalized.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
To be honest, I think it looks professional either way... however I would use a period where possible, as everyone knows where that is on a keyboard. My old e-mail account from many years ago used to have an underscore in it and many people would try adding a dash instead.

With creating a professional username for internship/job applications, yes a real name would be a good start. But equally, I don't think it would matter that you have already used MJOLNIR. If you were applying for an important job with a username like "pinkfluffybunny86" then that may not be ideal, but as long as its neutral or your name you can't go wrong, IMO.

Reaction score
I have to agree with Ian on this I have had good luck using"sdmny" I have had many responses from companies.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
_Yes. To emphasise Ian's last para. I made a mistake, some years ago, of separating my wife's email address with an underscore.. It is often hidden, in ,amy branches of the net, with an underline of the whole address.

Last edited:
Reaction score
E-Mail addresses

Greetings~

Regarding e-mail adresses.

The other aspect that people SOMETIMES have a tendancy to overlook that you can do .. depending on your Email service of choice(Gmail,Yahoo,Hotmail etc.) .. or your client ( Outlook or I THINK Thunderbird has this option also.. havent used Thunderbird in years)

Is tha fact that you can in many instances have it show by YOUR NAME (rather than email address) who the email is being sent from . Granted YES they will be able to see your email address.. however at least they will also see your REAL NAME (should you choose to put that)

That way prospective employers (or whom ever) will have a "heads up" as to whom the e-mail is acctually comming from and its not just your "normal" spammer.

Of course it ALSO does help if (especially with an important e-mail) You also Identify yourself in the Subject line of your email that way also it MIGHT "bypass" the spam filters of some companies.

Just some thoughts.
~LoneWolf

Ask a Question