A note to ubuntu users

Reaction score
Recently the release of Ubuntu 10.04 happened... I'm not happy!
I was interested in staying up to date with all the changes in Ubuntu, however this turned out to be a big mistake. I had Ubuntu 9.10 installed and I was rather happy with it, I had the look the way I wanted it and everything set up how I wanted...

Stick with Ubuntu 9.10 because 10.04 took a sh*t on my laptop :(

Heres a screenshot of when I just installed it, notice how the window buttons ( close, maximize, and minimize ) are not there so I can't even close out of windows. Firefox wont load. I couldn't even use the terminal because you can type commands but the enter key doesn't work ( only way I can enter commands if I drop into a virtual terminal )!
Notice that nasty black background behind the cairo dock. When I did get the windows buttons back they were on the wrong side then I wanted them ( don't know if they are trying to be mac wanna bes ). I got most of this fixed but it was far from easy. I don't recommend Ubuntu 10.04 for anyone until they pull this thing out of a beta like stage. It kind of seems like the "vista" release of Ubuntu lol :D ( I'm sure you guys know what I mean ;) )

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Use Mint 9, it's based on 10.04 but without the problems.

Reaction score
I was thinking of switching to arch linux, I keep hearing good things about that. But Mint is a good distro too. Most of the GUI problems I solved already after an hour of tampering but overall 10.04 is more harm then good.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. 9.04 was the last one I used and I thought it was solid. I recently ditched it for Sabayon 5.2 and I'm not so thrilled with it any more. It does come stock with XBMC though. May be time to try something new.:)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I recently tried the Ubuntu 10.04 Beta, I didn't like it at all. I'm currently using Mint 8 64 bit, but since Core mentioned 9, I'll have to check that out. I prefer Mint over all Linux OS's. It's the best looking, and the easiest to use, for pros and newbies alike. Plus, they have a good forum.

Reaction score
Ubuntu 10.04 worked just fine for me (upgrade) on my netbook, and on the second partition of my netbook.

I'm sorry you had issues upgrading, but upgrading is a complicated process no matter what OS you're using. Please don't tell people to steer clear when millions have done what you did with total success.

Reaction score
I did the upgrade option too. It involved no technical skills because all it requires you to do is click a few buttons in the Update Manager. However I have had allot of experience with many distros, Failbuntu is just one of many. I'm only suggesting you steer clear of Ubuntu 10.04 for the time being not forever of course. I only feel that some more bugs should be found and worked out before you decide to upgrade. The installation process of Ubuntu 10.04 has nothing to due with the difficulties I came to face, the problem of course lies with the combination of my computer hardware and the Ubuntu software, laptops have always had trouble with Ubuntu I am aware of this. After I cleaned up everything the installation destroyed, I noticed many crazy ideas put forth in the new release. Although some of these ideas show courage, I doubt its a good idea to commit to long term support ( Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ) while these new ideas seem still to be in their beta stage. 10.04 will improve probably, but that takes time. I guess its okay for you to think that installing and configuring linux is a challenge for me because you didn't know that I diligently used Slackware for about 10 years. I don't think it's my fault 10.04 seems to suck ;)
of course your right it is my "opinion", if you want to check Ubuntu 10.04 go right ahead and be my guest... I warned U!

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm currently running Mint 9 RC on my laptop in Sun's Virtual Box, it runs fine. No issues to report, as of yet. Just this damn VM doesn't use my entire screen, it looks like a netbook. About a month or so ago, I ran the Ubuntu 10.04 beta, (no upgrade, a clean install), it didn't seem ready yet. But that was a month ago. I've always preferred Mint over all the others. No matter what you install it on, it always seems to find the right drivers for your system. I tried Sabayon 5.2, it wasn't my cup of tea. Mint happens to be the 4th most used OS worldwide, behind Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac & Ubuntu. Only one thing about them all. If only they could find & install printers & other external hardware (the way it does internal hardware), the main Linux OS's could work their way past Mac and gain ground fast. I mean incredibly fast. BTW, Mint 9 has Firefox 3.6.3 as their main browser. It's fast!:D

Reaction score
I'm currently running Mint 9 RC on my laptop in Sun's Virtual Box, it runs fine. No issues to report, as of yet. Just this damn VM doesn't use my entire screen, it looks like a netbook. About a month or so ago, I ran the Ubuntu 10.04 beta, (no upgrade, a clean install), it didn't seem ready yet. But that was a month ago. I've always preferred Mint over all the others. No matter what you install it on, it always seems to find the right drivers for your system. I tried Sabayon 5.2, it wasn't my cup of tea. Mint happens to be the 4th most used OS worldwide, behind Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac & Ubuntu. Only one thing about them all. If only they could find & install printers & other external hardware (the way it does internal hardware), the main Linux OS's could work their way past Mac and gain ground fast. I mean incredibly fast. BTW, Mint 9 has Firefox 3.6.3 as their main browser. It's fast!:D
Did you install guest editions? I don't install Linux in VM but whenever I install Windows I have to install guest editions to get the screen full size. Yea whatever distro you choose, make sure it supports your hardware or you will run into big problems potentially.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, I didn't fool with the guest additions, I was only trying out Mint 9 RC. I like it, When the full version is released (which should be soon), I'll install it to my second drive on my desktop, where I can run the 64 bit version. The only use that I have for VM's anymore is to evaluate OS's. That way, no partitioning, if I don't like what I see, a couple of clicks, the whole deal is like a fart in the wind, gone. If I do like it, then I'll plan to do a permanent install. It runs better that way. The only thing that I would have liked to seen kept in Mint was their screen they had in 7 (Gloria). That mint green screen with beads of water dripping down, it was beautiful. Oh well, it was only their splash screen, the real deal is what's behind it (now).

Reaction score
I think I'm going to try mint too. My only worry is that I will have to customize everything again and get my wireless NIC to work ( which was a real pain in the rear with Ubuntu ) but I think I try it out in a VM. I'm going to download the ISO right now.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You'll like Mint, it's for pros and newbies alike. Everything that I've ever installed it on, all the stock hardware was found and works. You can put it on an older computer, and it'll look like it was raised from the dead. I find it to be far better than Ubuntu is. Hopefully the full release will be soon.

Ask a Question