SOLVED Windows 7 automatic defrag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello w7forums!

I have a new windows 7 computer and want to keep it running fast. On my old xp laptop I would run defrag each month, but I read that Windows 7 can defrag automatically. Do I need to set this up or does it work out of the box?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open it up and have a look.
To get to it, click on the Start button, and type in "disk defragmenter" in the search window at the bottom. "Disk Defragmenter" should appear at the top
You canm check if it already set to a schedule. It normally is by default. First runs are tedious, but after that you shouild not even notice it on a schedule.

Reaction score

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Maybe a point of view. What advanced features are you thinkingt of, in particular?
I would say that the Microsoft version, designed for Windows, pretty much covers it. There is a strong school which supports the view that, with modern Hard disks and speeds, defragging is not needed at all.
But, perhaps we digress. I was only answering Bojo's question.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Bojo, welcome to the forum! Yes, you can set your Windows 7 OS to auto defrag, you just need to get in there and play with it. I don't use the Windows defrag, I use PerfectDisk Pro, it auto defrags for me.

You didn't ask, but a suggestion for a good freeware defrag tool is Auslogics Disc Defrag. It can be found at:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

It's much faster and more through than the Windows one is. Either way, best of luck.

Cat

Reaction score
Thank you all very much. I am quite happy to stick with the free windows defrag, so I took your advice and loaded it up on a schedule for automatic mode. Easy peasy lemon squeesy as they say.

I look forward to asking more questions on here, I hope you don`t mind.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I speak for all. WE certainly do not mind. Discussing probems, with, often, solutions, is what we enjoy.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's much better than watching soap opera.:D
Anything is better than watching soaps, I'm glad to have been able to contribute. Setting things such as defragging on auto pilot is good. Mine is set as such, just a different product.

Cat

Reaction score
The W7 native defragger is undoubtedly better than no defragger, but as mentioned, it is quite basic. And very slow, with minimal reporting/GUI elements.

Commercial defraggers offer flexibility in configuring the defrag parameters for each volume, fast defrags, ability to defrag in adverse conditions (low space, fragmented system files), auto defrag etc. Ofcourse, these are not free, but if the feature set/performance is appealing to the user, then it's a worthwhile purchase.

I am not in favor of the freeware defrag utilities..most have the same limitations as the native utility; and without the safety-net of support and reliability offered by the commercial solutions.

Reaction score
Diskeeper 2010 has auto defragging, plus the ability to defrag the boot files. As far as I am concerned it is definitely the best and well worth every single penny.:D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The OP has received an answer and is satisfied. The thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question