Win 7 Home Premium (64-bit) - freezes then unresponsive

Reaction score
Hi,

I have encountered a problem with a new (less than a month old) HP G5150sc stationary PC. This evening it suddenly froze a few minutes after startup. Nothing worked, mouse and keyboard unresponsive. To turn the Pc off I had to hold the power-button for 5 secs.

When I tried to restart, the screen didn't get a signal, and even though I heard the PC getting power (fans started etc) I don't think it actually booted...

Tried disconnecting powercord for 25 secs then reboot. The first time I tried this everything worked great, windows booted fine, and I figured it was just a one-of-problem. But after a few minutes it happened again. I did the powercord-thing again, but with no success.

I then gave it a rest for a few minutes before I tried again. To my surprise it booted, and this time I chose safemode... Didn't really do much troubleshooting, but I noticed that it never froze (stayed in safemode for 30-40 minutes). Then I tried to reboot only to find that everything froze on the windows load screen... I haven't been able to reboot since, and thus I'm unable to get anymore info at the moment.

Hardware HP5150sc:
Intel dualcore E5400
4 gb RAM
750 gb
Intel GMA X4500

Anyone familiar with these kinds of problems?

Reaction score
hmm... having given up logic a long time ago, I keep trying to turn the PC on every now and then.
Well: Voilá! It just booted for some reason, without me changing anything since my last failed attempt. I got the option to try and repair the startup of Windows (I have a norwegian OS, so I'm just translating on the go here). Now it asks me if I want to do a system recovery... I suppose that could work, but I'd like to see what my options are if I decline first...

Will update with further developments if any...

Reaction score
Let me guess...Do you have Symantec/Norton as antivirus, or any other products from them installed?

Reaction score
well, a norton thingy came preinstalled, but I deleted it several weeks ago. Tried to make sure I removed every trace of it aswell, as I know it can cause problems. Installed right now is a panda cloud thingy (sorry I can't be anymore specific right now).

I just did hardware scans using HPs own built-in diagnostics tools...HD, memory came out just fine... so now I'm back to the option of recovery. I was kinda hoping to avoid it, but...

Do you see any other way out of this?

Reaction score
hmm... After rebooting I'm now using windows 7 again as usual, except that the aero looks were disabled after the diagnostics. To my knowledge the diagnostics tools never actually DID anything, just checked all kinds of stuff. The disabled aero interface seems to indicate something else.

Would be nice if they actually gave me some info about what's going on :/

I will change to MSE, I've used it before, just wanted to check out panda.

But wouldn't you say that the fact that it works fine now that aero is disabled suggests graphics card problems?

Reaction score
Did you use both uninstallers yet? Please do so and install MSE.

Then go to where you choose themes and at the bottom is a Troubleshot Aero link.
Click that and it should re-enable.

Very likely all will be fine if you follow this post precisely.

Reaction score
oops... it just froze on me again :/ I was watching a vid on youtube and out of nowhere everything froze.

Will not start when i press the power button (no signal to the lcd).

Reaction score
Mmkay...on it. But it's kind of hopeless that there's no telling if I'm even going to be able to restart after those freezeups. This time it worked on the 5th attempt... :/

Reaction score
okay...it's still working after 20+ mins after driver install (and flash-fixes). I have no idea why I hadn't updated the graphic card drivers before. I hope that did the trick, though I wouldn't be surprised if the problems show up again. Oh well, I'll stop spreading negative vibes ;)

Thanks again TorrentG!

Reaction score
Maybe your power supply is going bad.

Your power supply could be going bad. If you have another power supply try that one in your pc. If you don't have another power supply take it to a pc repair shop and have them test it.
oops... it just froze on me again :/ I was watching a vid on youtube and out of nowhere everything froze.

Will not start when i press the power button (no signal to the lcd).

Reaction score
brkkab123:
Actually, it seems to work just fine now. Installing the latest graphics drivers did the trick, I think. I'm feeling kinda stupid for not trying that before coming here... :p

Anyways, thx for the input!

Reaction score
Okay

Okay. That was just a suggestion for if your problems persisted. As both the psu and cpu heatsink, if failing can cause unexpected shutdowns.
brkkab123:
Actually, it seems to work just fine now. Installing the latest graphics drivers did the trick, I think. I'm feeling kinda stupid for not trying that before coming here... :p

Anyways, thx for the input!

Ask a Question