SOLVED Win7 Home Premium to Win7 Professional. Best way?

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium installation on my laptop to Windows 7 Professional before the upgrade to Windows 10 so I will qualify for the Professional Version of Windows 10. As I understand it, the Win7 Anytime Upgrade route is no longer available.

My question is, what is the best way to upgrade a Windows 7 Home Premium installation to Windows 7 Professional without losing anything. Is it as simple as using Control Panel/System and entering a new Windows 7 Professional Product Key, assuming the needed files are already on the HDD and only have to be unlocked and/or installed? I have a legitimate unused Windows 7 Professional generic OEM Product Key I will be using for the upgrade and a Windows 7 Professional x64 DVD from a Digital River .iso, if needed. I know that I will probably have to use the Automated Phone Activation system in any case, but that shouldn't be a problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, if you cannot use an anytime upgrade then you would need to back up all your data and do a complete reinstall with the PRO version (using a PRO product key not your old Home key), then restore your data, and reinstall all your programs.

Reaction score
I believe you're right on. It nice to have knowledgeable confirmation of what you are already starting to suspect. Thanks for the info!

Ask a Question