Repeated Crashes/BSOD

Reaction score
My computer crashes frequently (goes dark or BSOD). Windows gives no solution but has sometimes identified it as a hardware problem and sometimes a driver problem. This began about a year ago in Windows Vista and has continued in 7. I did a clean reinstall of Vista and did the same with 7 after I installed it. I am able to dual boot in either Windows or Linux (Ubuntu). I usually don't have the same problem in Linux, but it has crashed a couple of times (not recently) in Linux.

I have run memory tests and they show no problem with the memory. After reading some entries in your forum, I downloaded BlueScreenView. I am not sure what I am looking at or what it means, but it shows a variety of "bug check strings". I tried to access the dump files, but for some reason was denied access. Any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Open the Windows folder on your C: drive and type Minidump in the search box at the upper right of the window. Then open the Minidump folder and copy the last one to your Desktop. Now on your desktop right-click on that file, scroll down to Send To and click on Compressed Zipped Folder. That .zip file will also be on your desktop. Post that zip file to this thread by clicking on the paper clip. Now a popup windows will open, click on Browse and go to the zip file on your desktop and click on it and then to the right of the window that popped up on the forum click on Upload. Someone here should be able to have a look and point you to what ever driver(s) need updating.

Reaction score
I am denied access to the minidump file. I have administrative privileges, full control over the folder and its sub folders etc. and permissions as I far as I can see. However, when I looked at access to one of the minidump files, I did not show as someone who had access to the file. I changed the access and added me to the list having access but I still don't have access to the file and the minidump folder still shows the lock. I can't figure out what I have not done.

Reaction score
That one's beyong my knowledge. I've never run into it stating that on my pc for Minidumps.

Reaction score
Oh wait a minute, try this. Try right clicking on the Minidum folder and click Copy and Paste it on your desktop. I'm uploading a Take Ownership registry tweak for you. Put that on your Desktop also. Right click on that file after you unzip it and select Merge. Restart your pc. You'll now have a listing in the right click options for Take Ownership. Try Taking Ownership of the Minidump folder shortcut on your desktop and see if that works.

Attachments

Ask a Question