Outlook 2007 permission error

Reaction score
Hi

Had an issue with user permissions and have seemed to fix most issues, except these :

I use Outlook 2007 with a preview pane - when previeving it complains that it cannot "create the work file. please check temp variable."

and then will not open any attachment as: "you do not have the appropriate permission to perform this operation"

I also cannot copy the attachment to the desktop

Further: there seems to be a permission issue in the "search" function also as this seems to be disabled.

Please note that I am still running the RC version of the product.

Any ideas as to where I can look to reslve these issues?

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What other issues did you have with user permissions? It sounds like the Outlook file permissions are also out of place.

If you go to the Help > Office Diagnostics setting in Outlook it may be able to detect and repair the permissions problem. It's worth trying that first :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Thanks for your advice. I have had MAJOR issues with permissions - I think I did something stupid and then had to fix the issue folder by folder and file by file.

That said, I tried the office diagnostic route and it did not work, I have also modified file permissions where ever I could find them. Thankfully most issues are resolved except for those 3. The wierd thing is that I can modify permissions (i.e. admin rights) but the rights do not extend into fixing this problem...

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to where I can look for those areas I must have missed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you uninstall Office and then re-install, it should re-create new file permissions as it will be creating new files. It might be worth a shot. I'll have a think on any other ways to fix this :).

Reaction score
Thanks Ian

Seems like a logical next step. I do have 1 small wrinkle though: my copy of Office is a "home use" disk and due to my "fun and games" I have used up all my installs and am thus concerned that, should I try a re-install, I may not be able to activate the thing and thus my entire Office will no longer work

Thus any thoughts you may have on a physical fix would be welcome.

Oh yes, any thoughts on the "search" challenge?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not used Office under the "home use" license before, but I'm guessing it's just the same procedure as a normal license (but with a different license validity criteria). If worst comes to worst, you'll just need to give MS a call on a freephone number to confirm that you have a licensed version of the software.

Do to all the testing I do, I've had to re-install Windows Vista/7 and Office 2007 several times and sometimes the automatic activation won't work as I've triggered a limit. In that case, they provide a number to call and you need to enter a long string to digits and write down a response code to enter in to the application to manually activate the software.

Which search function is disabled, is it the office search function or the Windows 7 search? If it's the latter, check that the "Windows Search" service is running (Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools, and double click on Services).

Shintaro

Reaction score
What you will need to do is run Process Monitor (File system Activity) to see where Outlook is trying to access.
Once you know that, you can change the permissions via the adminstrator account.

Process monitor:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645

Or if you still have trouble, upload Process Monitors capture file.

Hope this helps.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
pjmkkelly,

Download and install "Take Ownership" from our Freeware DB.

Then in Windows Explorer navigate down to \Users\yourUserid\AppData and right-click, choose "Take Ownership" and allow it to run the permissions script.

Next navigate to \Users\yourUserid\Local Settings and run Take Ownership again.

Now try your Outlook again and let us know the results.

NOTE: your userid needs to be an Administrator for this.

Ask a Question