SOLVED Microsoft Office 2007 - Outlook

Reaction score
I have Office 2007 installed on two identical computers; both purchased 6 months ago with Intel I7 processors and running W7 ultimate 64bit. All was well for about 4 weeks and then the first one would not allow me to open Outlook, all the other components of Office opened and worked only Outlook would not; it came up with the following error message;
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window"

I did post about this problem a few weeks back but never came up with a solution to rectify the problem, I was unable to recover any recent emails etc but I had luckily backed up a few days earlier so had not lost to much.
As uninstall and reinstall Office did not work either the remedy was back up, reformat and reinstall all programs, this appeared to cure the problem. My question is why was I not able to uninstall and reinstall Office successfully, had something been written to the registery that uninstall would not remove.

Unfortunately the same problem has just arisen on my other computer and I have just gone thru an identical procedure to the first. As this entails a few hours work to correct and at the moment I do not have a large number of programs installed I would like to find out if anyone else has encountered a similar problem and what remedy they have found.
Any useful suggestions would be most gratefully received.
Regards
Miket.

Reaction score
Have you tried reinstalling MSOffice. I had simillar problems with MSOffice SMB.

Reaction score
Dear canvicb, Thanks for your reply but as I stated in my original post I
had already uninstalled and reinstalled and this would not work and I assume that there is some information left somewhere in possibly the registry which is stopping an effective reinstall.
Regards MIKET.

Reaction score
Sorry I missed that part of your initial note. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any lasting solution for the MSOffice problems. I researched the net for the problem I am having with MSOffice 2003 and of all the posting I have read to date, none has offered a permanent solution. As an added note to my problem, I have the same software installed on both of my laptops (Acer 4711 and Panasonic W7) and it only acts up on the Acer.

Reaction score
I am subscribed to another forum and the following were put up as possible answers to my problem and are reposting here, I hope that this is not incorrect protocol and if it is my apologies, my thoughts are that they may be of use to others with a similar problem.

QUOTE"
Ensure Outlook is closed
Go to run and type outlook.exe /resetnavpane (put in a space between the exe and /)
And don't put the calendar as the opening view. It is using IE libraries and each update to IE might require a refresh of the calendar, but since it is set to be the first thing outlook opens, outlook doesn't have a chance to update the libraries before launching the windows. It's not a feature.....
RSS feeds are the other part that is highly unstable and should not be set to open by default. Finally mind various plug-ins installed by various software (anti-virus, adobe, skype.....).
UNQUOTE"

Regards MIKET

Reaction score
Outlook

Now that you mentioned the word "calendar" in your posting it has just occurred to me that my problem seem to come about when I use Vista's calendar and then if I open Outlook after that it starts to reconfigure itself before opening. Maybe there is a conflict between the two of them. Just a thought...

Reaction score
Have you had any MS patches or updates lately. I know the patches are there to fix some things but in their haste to push out the fix, they tend to mess up other areas. I know today MS put out 8 important updates. If you haven't all ready installed them, install them, restart and then check your issue.

Reaction score
Dear Bassfisher, Yes I like others seem to have had a series of updates over the past week for W7, I did wonder initially if this was the cause but I am now convinced that the problem was the start up proceedure after an upgrade for Office see my recent post above. Many thanks for your thread.

Regards MIKET.

Ask a Question