Internet Download Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone using download speed enhancers? - in particular "Fullspeed" from http://www.getfullspeed.com/

My download speeds are very poor,- around 976 kbps,and this software is purported to enhance download speeds up to 5 times,and is free.

I`d be interested to hear if anyone is using it on a Win 7,64bit machine,or could advise if it can be used on such a machine.

Cheers.

Edit: Link was broken so I fixed the link

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I have not tried it yet.

I'm downloading now and will get back to you on the performance.

My rates are around download 350Kbp/s - upload 36Kbp/s

Reaction score
Ive heard of it, but internets has made me skeptical.
i eagerly await your test results clifford!

Reaction score
Before install of speed booster

After install of speed booster

I didn't see any difference. However I will reinstall. I'm not sure it completed successfully.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Third test

After installing the booster twice and running the test again, I have not noticed any differences in the speed. I was skeptical to begin with but decided to try it.

Conclusion

I figure this is some scheme to place advertising on your PC. In order to install you install Ask Toolbar to the Taskbar. Which by the way is not installing to my taskbar. But yet I have a listing in "Programs and Features" where it shows to have installed.

Reaction score
Ah Well,- I suppose it was worth a try,

Many thanks for the input clifford.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
If you are like me and have an internet speed that has a cap, I know for sure that programs claiming to speed up downloads will not work for me

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I tend to be sceptical of so called boosters as your Internet speed depends on a few factors (Broadband - how far you are from the exchange, software installed on the Computer, the quality of the line, time of day) my download can vary from 8mb to 18mb in the same day and speed tests can vary from test to test, i have just used the one Clifford used >

If you go into your router settings it will show you what down and up speed your router is receiving at that time of day and that is what you should be getting within about 1mb.

Port forwarding will speed up some types of downloading (eg) uTorrent >

But all in all Internet speed boosters don't do that much.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you are like me and have an internet speed that has a cap, I know for sure that programs claiming to speed up downloads will not work for me
Maybe. Horses for course perhaps?

I was introduced to these programs only a few months ago. For various reasons, i do a great deal of downloading . This program. also free, increased my downloading times enormously. A speed comparison was not really needed to see the difference.
It works on a similar principal to a P2P (but is legal). It obtains the downloads from all available sources at the same time. A small limitation on legal MS downloads, as they are mostly from only one source.
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Reaction score
Hey cliff, have you tried the pingtest beta? its on the speedtest site. Ive tried it and been kinda worried about the results, the results being really poor. That said, its a beta so im not gunna look too deeply into it.

Reaction score
First test

Second Test

Third Test

I think the thing to pay more attention too is the best quality. As Veedaz stated when he mentioned his rates changing through the day, there is allot of variables to consider when communicating over the Internet. It doesn't surprise me that I have different values with all three test.

What exactly is it that you are worried about faun?

Reaction score
Anyone using download speed enhancers? - in particular "Fullspeed" from http://www.getfullspeed.com/

My download speeds are very poor,- around 976 kbps,and this software is purported to enhance download speeds up to 5 times,and is free.

I`d be interested to hear if anyone is using it on a Win 7,64bit machine,or could advise if it can be used on such a machine.

Cheers.

Edit: Link was broken so I fixed the link
I'm curious to know what kind of internet connection you have.

Reaction score
Internet Connection

I am with Tiscali Broadband and originally had a Thompson Speedbit 330 Modem which worked o.k on Win7 32bit but not on Win 7 64bit because no drivers were available. I tried Vista 64bit driver but with no success.

Went to "Maplins" and bought a "cheapo" Phillips Conn-x router which works well,but my internet speeds are rather low, - about 976kbps download speed and 245kbps upload speed, a bit slower than the Speedbit 330.

I have heard good reports about the BT Broadband Accelerator (iPlate) which enhances internet speeds by at least 1/3rd - sometimes much more and have sent for one (Costs £8.01 inc delivery) - worth a try!!

See www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk,/ info

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there no cap on your connection? What were your speeds when running XP or Vista?

Reaction score
THe "getfullspeed" service is snake oil, plain and simple. There are no secret or special tweaks you can make to an internet connection that will suddenly make it go faster than the quality of the line or your ISP's provision will let it.

The speed of a connection is truly a function of equipment quality and assigned bandwidth.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't mess with much of this "freeware", as they almost always want you to install a toolbar of some sort (usually a "Ask" or "Yahoo" toolbar). And I'm a little skeptical of "Ask". I have clicked onto sites that gave me a free speed check. But I'm not installing none of that crap on my system. If you're not satisfied with your speed, either upgrade your networking parts (router, wireless adapter), or get a new ISP. I go wireless ( Cricket Broadband) and my PC came with wi-fi preinstalled. That must be fairly new, wi-fi on a PC. Anyway (shhh!) my neighbor has an unsecured guest account (Earthlink) and it's fast. They have their network secured, but the guest network isn't. And they have a "N" based router, and I have a B,G or N external adaptor, so it picks them all up. For $15 on eBay, you can't beat it. So for now, my speed is free. I just don't check emails or make purchases on that network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question