Get a legal download of Win7 64bit

Reaction score
I recently purchased a copy of Win 7 32 bit online and went for the download option. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet and after doing some research I've decided to go with the 64 bit version. So a couple of questions:
Will the key I received work for both versions and if so is there a way for me to legally download the 64 bit version without repurchasing?
Cheers,
Chrome

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That may depend on where you purchased the copy. Could be a shady deal?

There may be odd sites out there, but I am not aware of any.

Reaction score
If it's through Microsoft as a download, probably not. I got mine through the student offer and I had to chose between 64-bit and 32-bit.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
DO NOT Bodge up here stay away from Ligit resources as these places like street vendors and some on line stores are selling Windows 7 Screwed, Virus and Pirated Editions CD's inside legal (Ligit) retail boxes. I say be very carefull with EBAY as well.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Ligit Resouces"

Sorry to drift off thread. Is that a pirate source or a typo?

Reaction score
Unless there was an extension I'm aware of, the 30 dollar student discount for Windows 7 Home premium ended in the US, Jan 5th of this year. And Ian is right about the Professional version for students. I was able to get the 30 dollar discount.

On the question, the key will work on either version. I'm not sure why Microsoft gives that impression. I put the "64bit" key on a 32 bit computer and it's all good.

-Jazmac

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Will the key I received work for both versions and if so is there a way for me to legally download the 64 bit version without repurchasing?
Yes, key will work with both x86 and x64. Remember though, only one install per key.

Try this, its a legal download link for the ISO image file.
Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65805.iso

All the Student discount offers were legitimate and handled by Digital River for Microsoft. In the beginning, early November I think, there were a ton of download issues, the downloader not working correctly, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, key will work with both x86 and x64. Remember though, only one install per key.

Try this, its a legal download link for the ISO image file.
Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65805.iso

All the Student discount offers were legitimate and handled by Digital River for Microsoft. In the beginning, early November I think, there were a ton of download issues, the downloader not working correctly, etc.
I'd forgotten the distributor but Digital River it was. The link worked awesome. Thanks Nibiru2012. And thanks all for the responses.
Cheers,
Chrome

Reaction score
On a side note, MS's bandwidth always blows me away. The entire image(3GB's)was downloaded in about 15 minutes....insane.
Cheers,
Chrome

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Don't take short cuts and buy Win7 off ebay or street vendors, they may be cheap but can get your self double trouble.
You can buy copies of any Windows OS's on eBay, but you have to know what to look for. If they are too cheap, they usually are no good. I mean, a full version of Win 2K Pro still sells for $80 to $120. That's a 10 year old OS. But it's real. A full copy of XP Pro goes for $160 to $220. OEM is cheaper. When you're buying online from eBay, you use their email service to contact a seller and they get back with you, all messages are retained in eBay's system until you delete them. But I've bought plenty of software from eBay with no problem, except one. I was refunded my money over it. They have a strong counterfeit policy in place, should you buy a counterfeit item on eBay, you will be refunded every cent you paid. Now, with that policy in place, do you think they are going to harbor counterfeiters? They would be losing money out of their butts. You stand just as much of a chance buying from Amazon, New Egg, Tiger Direct, and any online retailer. You know as soon as you update, validate and activate if your version is real or not. If you don't validate, you can't get certain downloads, such as MSE or the Windows Live suite. And I've done enough installs to know what I'm talking about. If it's bad, it won't validate and activate, plain and simple.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Don't take short cuts and buy Win7 off ebay or street vendors, they may be cheap but can get your self double trouble.
Why didn't you say that in the first place?

I think you'll find that the VAST majority of users here have bona fide versions of Windows 7.

We do appreciate your concern though.

Reaction score
For any one who wants to by M$ software they should check for packageing, CD, manual and Product Key and COA lables. If any are missing it's a good chance that it's counterfeit and should not buy it.

Ask a Question