extend hdd partition

Reaction score
hi my first post can anyone tell me the best way to extend a partitioned hard drive..my main drive i partitioned in half with about 150 gig on each many months ago ,now i am running out of space on my main drive[os, boot] can i rejoin the other empty partition,many thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi westentertainer - Welcome to w7forums

Disk management will allow for shrinking and stretching.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management
or
Type "create and format hard disk partitions" in the start menu search box.

However if you find you need more functionality, Partition Wizard Home will work just fine.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
hi my first post can anyone tell me the best way to extend a partitioned hard drive..my main drive i partitioned in half with about 150 gig on each many months ago ,now i am running out of space on my main drive[os, boot] can i rejoin the other empty partition,many thanks in advance
I would suggest not putting your downloads and other items on the C drive.

I quit doing that years ago, also 'temp' folders, working video folders, etc., should be put on another hard drive.

That is why your C drive, boot and system drive is growing.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Westen..., What Nibs is suggesting is for people that have at least two actual physical HDs. Most laptop users and, for that matter, probably 8 out of 10 people who buy a desktop unit probably only have one HD.

Creating multiple partitions on one harddrive will not help in the case of a drive crash so if the second partition is empty then simply use disk management (type hard disk into the search bar on the start menu) and select it from the top of the list. Right-click on the second partition and choose delete. Then right-click on the first partition and choose expand.

Reaction score
Ok did as you said extend ok ,just about to thank you and the pc shut down and will not restart , it will only switch off on main switch ,what can I do ??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Insert the system repair disk into the DVD player and boot from that. Allow it to repair.

You did delete the empty partition right? Not the one with your OS?

Reaction score
OMG' now there I's no power only a green light on motherboard and fan s lights faintly glowing ,could it be power supply now?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, have you actually changed anything in the computer? How long have you had it? Is this the ASUS in your specs? I thought all you were doing was extending a HD partition and that wouldn't kill your post video or PSU. Plus if you are seeing lights then I would say you are getting at least some power.

Do you have the Win 7 DVD or did you burn a W7 repair disk? You put that in the DVD player. Unless you changed the boot order it should boot from the DVD first.

If you need to get to your Bios that varies on machines, Try F10 or Delete or F2

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the reply,,ok when i extended my hdd about a minuet later the pc shut down,,,now i have installed a 650watt pcu and it all works again ,but during the problem i thought that the os hdd was faulty [the one i extended] so i installed win 7 over another hdd i had in the pc,this morning i checked the os hdd and it booted no problem,,i purchased a 1tb hd today and used acronis to copy my main win 7 os to it,,,but how do i boot to it many thanks

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In the BIOS of your motherboard select the 1TB HDD as the "First Boot Device" or hard drive and then save it. Reboot and it should boot from the 1TB HDD.

Reaction score
it states NTLDR is missing use ctr/alt/del to start but it boots into the source hdd not the cloned mmm

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Whenever I clone a drive with acronis, the clone will not boot initially and instead gives an error message; I always have to put in the W7 DVD and reboot and have the DVD repair the system files. If this is the problem you are having then try that. (I would remove the power to the 650 so only the new HD is seen)

But if you mean you now have both harddrives in your machine and it won't boot to the right one then what Nibs said about changing the drive boot order in BIOS is what you need.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As I said, first unplug the 650 if your plan is to make the 1TB your main drive. Then make sure that boots using the W7 DVD to repair if needed.

Once that works reattach the power to the 650GB and go into Bios like Nibs told you and set up the boot order so the 1TB is first.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
More detail please. It should definitely boot from the W7 DVD - did it get that far? If not, then you need to make sure the DVD is first in the boot list before all harddrives. If it did boot to DVD then did it see your 1TB and offer to repair? After it repaired did you eject the DVD and try to boot from the 1TB? What error did you get?

Reaction score
my pc has multiboot on it with xp/linux mint/kubuntu/win 7 they all boot ok ,if i could just get this new 1TB to boot in the index i will be happy , incidentaly there are 2 versions of win 7 now because i installed thinking i had lost the main one ,,how can i add the new 1TB in the multi boot screen?

Ask a Question