Cannot extend volume

Reaction score
Hello:

I have an SSD with the usual "System Reserved" at 100 MB, then C: with the system at 126.95 GB, a second partition (D:) at 309,26 GB and unallocated space at 40.63 GB.

I wanted to include the unallocated space into the D drive/partition in order to then divvy it up into about 5 other partitions for my data (which is now on an HDD). However, I cannot extend D: ("Extend Volume" is dimmed). Has this drive reached a maximum size, that being the reason that it cannot be extended?

Thank you!

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A hard drive with MBR Partition Table is limited to 4 active primary partitions but it would not explain why you can't extend D: Normally you can not extend a partition if the available space is not immediately to the right of the drive you are extending in the DiskMgmt.msc graphic display.

Reaction score
Aha, the unallocated space is to the left of the partition I wanted to extend. Is this 2014 or ...? Not blaming you, TrainableMan, of course not, but sometimes I just become flabbergasted. So, I will try to make the unallocated space into a partition, and then suck in whatever I need from the right (even if it is from another partition (guess that would work). Again, as always, thank you!

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is software that can do it but, just not built-in to W7.

I'm not sure if the free version of Partition Manager can do it for you or not. I know the paid Pro version can.

Of course, if you can move all the data off of D:, such as to an external hard drive, then you could simply deallocate the D: partition and then create a brand new partition with all the contiguous unallocated space, via the free W7 diskmgmt tools. Then move your data back.

Reaction score
There is software that can do it but, just not built-in to W7.

I'm not sure if the free version of Partition Manager can do it for you or not. I know the paid Pro version can.

Of course, if you can move all the data off of D:, such as to an external hard drive, then you could simply deallocate the D: partition and then create a brand new partition with all the contiguous unallocated space, via the free W7 diskmgmt tools. Then move your data back.
Yes, that is what I will do. Thanks!/Hans L

Reaction score
Hello,
do you use disk management to extend partition D? if you do like this, the unallocated space must be contiguous behind the partition d, or the extend volume will gray out and you arenot allowed to extend partition c. but you can use aomei partition assistant. i have tried it, it works perfectly.
more information:
http://www.disk-partition.com/resource/resize-windows-7-partition.html
hope can help you solve the problem

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
RainingDays, will the free version do that type partition extension or do you have to have the paid version?

Reaction score
Hello,
do you use disk management to extend partition D? if you do like this, the unallocated space must be contiguous behind the partition d, or the extend volume will gray out and you arenot allowed to extend partition c. but you can use aomei partition assistant. i have tried it, it works perfectly.
more information:
http://www.disk-partition.com/resource/resize-windows-7-partition.html
hope can help you solve the problem
Good to know. Now, I have fixed the whole thing, and also moved the data from the HDD to the SSD, and it works.

Regards/Hans L

Reaction score
hi, if you use disk management, but the unallocated space is not next to d partition, you can try some partition software and help you solve this problem.AOMEI Partition Assistant, Easeus partition software, minitool, paragon are both ok. Hope this can help you.

Reaction score
hi, if you use disk management, but the unallocated space is not next to d partition, you can try some partition software and help you solve this problem.AOMEI Partition Assistant, Easeus partition software, minitool, paragon are both ok. Hope this can help you.
Okay, great. Thanks!

Do you think that MS will have a better partition software in Win 10?

Regards,

Hans L

Ask a Question