Error with ntoskrnl.exe

Reaction score
At any given time my pc will just freeze. I have to reboot to get it going. Nothing shows up in events logs.

I was able to find this message using Process Explorer, ntoskrnl.exe!kereleaseinstackqueuedspinlock+0x350

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ntosknl.exe is the Windows Kernel
Queued Spin Locks are related to Drivers

I suggest you visit your computer manufacturers website (or motherboard manufacturer if a custom build) and you update all your drivers to the latest. Also if you have a separate video card update those from it's manufacturer site. And so on for any hardware that did not originally come with your computer: printers, keyboards, mice/trackballs, usb camera.

Unfortunately finding the cause of a freeze is often harder than fixing a BSOD because there is nothing specific to point to so you will need to update all your drivers as best you can to see if it helps.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is also a good idea to scan for viruses. One method is to create a bootable CD with Windows Defender Offline and then boot your computer to that CD and allow it to run a scan. Another method is to use safe mode and run RKILL, TDSSKiller, and an anti-virus that functions in safe mode, such as Malwarebytes (If you use another anti-virus then be sure NOT to activate the malwarebytes free trial because it can interfere with your other A/V.) See the start of my post HERE.

Is this a new computer or is it an old computer with a recent problem?

If you are overclocking, set everything back to defaults and see if the trouble persists.

If it is an old computer then maybe a recent driver update actually is causing issues so try a system restore to a date prior to the problem. If this fixes the issue then the driver was likely updated through Windows Update. If so go to Windows update and change the settings so Recommended updates are NOT treated the same as critical updates otherwise it will reinstall again. You can also manually run updates and locate the driver and mark it to be hidden.

Reaction score
I wish I could say all that help but it hasn't. I have reinstalled windows several times, as well as all the above. This is a very random occurrence, yet That error message it the closed I have come to solving it. It canhappen 2 minits after I turn it on , or 2 days. Nothing seems to trigger it. ntoskrnl will lock up at approx. 14% of processor

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately it can be very difficult to determine freezing issues. You might want to try installing Driver Verifier and see if it can help. I've never used it myself but our BSOD expert Shintaro gives instruction for its' use at the bottom of his post HERE.

Hopefully if you get some reports from that we can ask him to take a look.

Reaction score
I do not get BSOD. I get a frozen pc. No hard drive light , just the power light on. I reboot, it works fine. There is no early clue of it locking up. One thing freezes, then the next, then the next. Pc could run great then boom it happens. But no BSOD.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I know you didn't get a BSOD; not getting a BSOD can often make it harder because there is no DMP to point to a problem. That is why I suggest Driver Verifier to see what is going on with your drivers and hopefully Shintaro can then debug the reports.

Reaction score
driververifier is running as we speak. When do I send the logs? After my pc freezes? on a reboot??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't heard back from Shintaro yet but looking over this INFORMATION ABOUT DRIVER VERIFIER, I believe once it detects a double spinlock, etc it will generate a violation. So once you get a violation post the information.

Reaction score
Will do, but can you give me clear instructions where to find that log. Im kinda in the dark regarding this part of the procedure.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I thought Driver Verifier would cause a BSOD if it detects a violation; if so then you would zip up and attach the DMP files. I am still waiting for Shintaro's reply so let's just see how it goes for now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DMP files normally go in to c:\Windows\Minidump
but they can sometimes be sent to c:\Windows or c:\Windows\Live KernelReports\WATCHDOG

Reaction score
Pc just froze with verifier activated. Cannot find a .dmp file. It is not where you said

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you don't get a BSOD then you won't get a DMP; I had hoped verifier would cause a BSOD. At this point we need to hear back from Shintaro because I don't have experience using that tool.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well there is no guarantees when debugging this type problem. It may not be a driver at all, your spinlock message merely sends the search in that direction but you may have hardware problems. And even if it is a driver, there may not be a different driver you can use in which case you either pull that piece of hardware or contact the company and see if they can write you a driver that works.

But yes, I hope Shintaro comes back soon.

Reaction score
I do understand that. I have switched out the mmotherboard and took out the video card to use onboard video. I have run mem test on the memory with no issues. My inclination has been a hard drive issue, I have nothing to back that up. I would just like to find the cause whatever it is. so I can try to rectify it. Hard drive has tested well also

Ask a Question