Audio problem code 12

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently i installed a brand new windows 7 os on my pc only to find that my audio dousnt work. Now, i do got a little knowledge regarding computers but this problem extended me. When i took a look at my device management section there is a yellow icon apearing next to: High definition audio controll, or something like that. Looking at properties gave me a inside of the problem: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)". After researching this i came across of some possible solutions, like: Uninstall other system devices, go check your bios settings, etc. i tried nearly everything. uninstalling other system devices ended me up with a blue screen of death upon reboot of my system. Bios settings are nothing wrong with and pretty up to date. Uninstalling the current audio driver and installing a new up to date one didnt work either.

After a midday of research i came across a cause of the problem: two devices are using te same resource wich results in conflicting eachother. i downloaded the S.I.W software, digging further into the memory recource item and found that my onboard audio uses the following resource:
High definition audio controller, memory range: 0xF9EF8000 - 0xF9GEFBFFF
System speaker I/O range: 0x0061 - 0x0061
High definition audio controller, IRQ: 0x0000000B (11) Shared.
now i honestly have'nt got a clue of what this means but maybe you guys can manage to make something out of it. So i've found the resource and know that the first device is using it, çant find the second one (Perhaps all this info hasn't got any relativity but atleast i mentioned it).

My system spec's are:
System:
Packard bell Ixtreme M3720
Bios:
AMI P01-A2
BoardProduct: MCP73PVT-PM
Processor:
1 physical processor, 2cores, 2 logical processors, 64bit
Pentium(R) Dual-core CPU E5200 @ 2.50 GHz
Original system clock: 200 MHz
Storage device info:
Disk 1 Generic USB SD Reader USB Device (Standarddrivestations)
Disk 2 Generic USB CF Reader USB Device (Standarddrivestations)
Disk 3 Generic USB xD/SM Reader USB Device (Standarddrivestations)
Disk 4 Generic USB MS Reader USB Device (Standarddrivestations)
Disk 5 Generic Mini SD Reader USB Device (Standarddrivestations)
DVD Writer 0 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F ATA Device (Standard cd-rom-stations)
Memory info:
Slot 1 DDR2 (PC2-6400) 2048 MBytes
Slot 2 DDR2 (PC2-6400) 2048 MBytes
Display adapter:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 1024 MBytes DDR2

Onboard sound is from:
Realtek ALC889 On-Board HD Audio

Im clueless of what to do next and getting back my sound is pretty important to me because of my music production, which is rather difficult without sound :)

Can someone please help me with this? if you need any more details about the problem or another specific part of the computer please say so, i whant to have this problem out of the world as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi. You can post for bsod help by going to the bsod section of the forum and seeing the sticky thread.

Other than that, for now, make sure parallel, serial ports as well as the floppy drive (if you don't use) are disabled in the bios.

Install the latest Realtek HD driver from here:

RtkHDAudio

Ask a Question