WindowsUpdate_80244019

Reaction score
HI All,

I installed windows 7 RC edition a few days ago and when i click on the windows update i get the following error code WindowsUpdate_80244019 does anyone know why this is please?

Thanks,

Mick.

Reaction score
Hi Mick,

you might have a virus or a Trojan that changes your DNS servers and redirects your browser. Do you have a anti-virus program installed?

try using this program... malwarebytes is usually pretty good with cleaning up the bad stuff
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If you dont have alot of info on your computer I would suggest another clean install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Brusse01,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give the link a try and let you know how it goes.

I have a fresh install of windows 7 on a large part of the hard drive partition and on the other part about 10 gig of old stuff from previous versions of windows i've tried and wanted to save. Could it be possible that has the virus and giving me the errors on the partition i use?

Thanks Mick.

Reaction score
Hi Mick,

you might have a virus or a Trojan that changes your DNS servers and redirects your browser. Do you have a anti-virus program installed?

try using this program... malwarebytes is usually pretty good with cleaning up the bad stuff
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If you dont have alot of info on your computer I would suggest another clean install.
Hi Brusse,

A quick update on the link you sent me.

It opens up a page the same as the one in my post about MSN messenger, looks like i have serious problems here.

Do you have anymore advice please?

Mick

Reaction score
Hi Brusse,

A quick update on the link you sent me.

It opens up a page the same as the one in my post about MSN messenger, looks like i have serious problems here.

Do you have anymore advice please?

Mick
Hi Brusse

Just downloaded Malwarebytes from Cnet downloads and it found 6 Trojans affecting DNS.

I'm in the process of backing everything up and going to try fresh install and see what happens next.

Thanks for your help,
Mick.

Reaction score
glad to hear that malwarebytes worked.... here is a quick tip:

next time you get a trojan, virus etc... that wont let ya go to a site like malwarebytes and ya have another known clean computer you can use.. use that good computer to download the program to a USB thumb drive and then you can install that same program on your "bad" computer :) I have the malwarebytes program saved to my lil 2GB thumb drive just in case I get a bad bug.

A clean install is a great idea... gives ya a fresh start . Just make sure any files you save to transfer to your clean install are virus/trojan clean :)

good luck :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats a great tip Brusse, will a USB thumb drive run in safe mode to do the scan or just in normal windows ?

Reaction score
hi brusse,

I formatted the hard drive and got rid of the partition and put a fresh install of windows 7 on. The only program i've put on is malwarebytes and i scanned the hard drive. The same 6 trojon faults were found as before. I clicked the fix button and restarted pc and now i'm in the process of scanning it again. I'll let you know if it finds anymore faults.

Thanks Mick.

Reaction score
hmmm...if after all these scans keep showing the same 6 Trojans and clicking the fix button doesnt seem to help..... you can always try resetting your router. shut it off for about 30 sec... then turn it back on ... resetting the router may flush the pesky dns address that the trojan put there....

and thx for the update.... hope everything comes out clean!!! glad to hear you didint have any probs with your clean install :)

you probably already know this... but after all is clean , see if you can use windows update just to make sure it is fixed

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have the names of the Trojan infections you have? If you have a bad rootkit infection, it is possible that you could still be infected (if your MBR was infected) - but it would have to be really bad for that to happen.

Reaction score
hmmm...if after all these scans keep showing the same 6 Trojans and clicking the fix button doesnt seem to help..... you can always try resetting your router. shut it off for about 30 sec... then turn it back on ... resetting the router may flush the pesky dns address that the trojan put there....

and thx for the update.... hope everything comes out clean!!! glad to hear you didint have any probs with your clean install :)

you probably already know this... but after all is clean , see if you can use windows update just to make sure it is fixed
Do you have the names of the Trojan infections you have? If you have a bad rootkit infection, it is possible that you could still be infected (if your MBR was infected) - but it would have to be really bad for that to happen.
Hi Brusse and Ian,

I tried to reset the router but the trojans are still there.

I've saved the log file on malwarebyes with the names of the Trojans Ian but if i paste it on here it might take up too much space, is it possible to send you it in a private message so it can be deleted afterwards?

Thanks Mick.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You should be able to attach the log as a txt file to your post :) Just click the green "post reply" button (for advanced post options) and then use the attachments manager.

Reaction score
Hi Brusse01,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give the link a try and let you know how it goes.

I have a fresh install of windows 7 on a large part of the hard drive partition and on the other part about 10 gig of old stuff from previous versions of windows i've tried and wanted to save. Could it be possible that has the virus and giving me the errors on the partition i use?

Thanks Mick.

Hi Mick,

Did you save this 10 GB partition when you did the last clean install (after malwarebytes) ? And did you use malwarebytes to scan the 10 GB space as well?
And Ian is right... a list of the trojans may help ....

I have another idea but not sure it will work:

Go to your Networking and Sharing Center
Click "Manage Adapter" option
Right Click your network adapter
In the middle of that window , select "Internet Protocol Version IPV6 and IPV4
Click "Properties"
Another window called Internet Protocol Version will popup
Click the "Advance " button at bottom of that window
You will get another window called " Advance TCP/IP Settings"
Click on the DNS tab

There will be a box at top of that window that says "DNS Server Addresses
If the addresses listed in that box are not ones you have put there yourself do this:
Click on the DNS Address and select the remove button to delete it
Reboot your computer... go back and check to see if the DNS addresses are gone... if they are YEAH!! go to windows update and see if if it works...
If this didnt remove those pesky trojans.... ARGGG!!!! lol

From your other post I assume you use a router that is DCHP enabled and you are not behind a proxy.... deleting the DNS address shouldn't hurt anything.... but I have never had to do this so cannot tell you if it will work or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Mick,

Did you save this 10 GB partition when you did the last clean install (after malwarebytes) ? And did you use malwarebytes to scan the 10 GB space as well?
And Ian is right... a list of the trojans may help ....
Hi Brusse,

Yes i saved it when i first installed windows 7 but when i did the last install i formatted the partition and made the hard drive whole again. After that i formatted the whole hard drive before the fresh install.

I've posted the logfile from malawarebytes above.

Reaction score
Hmmm.. the log shows that there was "no action taken" It should say something like quarentined and removed"..... strange? are you sure after the scan that all the stuff malwarebtyes found was selected to be removed? Its not hard to accidently "uncheck" a box.... I suffer from "fat fingers " and always clicking where I dont want lol

did you try the deleting the DNS address using TCP/IP Settings ?

by the way, do you have a router(wireless or not) connected to your modem ?

another brainstorm hit me lol
go to start button > All Programs > Accessories> Command Prompt> Right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator" > type ipconfig /flushdns hit enter

that command purges your DNS Resolver Cache .... might work

sorry for the lengthy post.....

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it says no action taken - you should be able to remove them from within MBAM (click remove selected once the scan is complete). Which anti-virus software are you running, as this should be able to remove it too?