SOLVED Windows Explorer (x64) fails to start.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a frustrating problem with my Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

At random times Windows Explorer fails to start. I can click the icon, I can see some hard disk activity and then nothing.

Explorer.exe starts just fine at boot, so it's not that know problem.

Each time when I have this problem I need to reboot my laptop (Lenovo T410), I can stop and then start a new explorer.exe using the task manager but then the problem returns within the hour. Rebooting my laptop sometimes 'fixes' the problem for the rest of the day and sometime it returns 15 min later. Very frustrating :mad:

The Icon in the start menu and task batr both point to explorer.exe in c:\windows. There is also an explorer.exe in c:\windows\SysWOW64. They both have different file sizes. I think this is normal ?

Things I did so far:

- full virus check (MS Security Essentials) Nothing found
- malware check (malwarebytes) Nothing found
- uninstalled programs that had a Windows Explorer extension (like Winrar)
- Googled a lot but couldn't find anything regarding this problem, most explorer.exe issues people are having are at boot time.
- update Windows
- update all Lenovo drivers and software

Any help regarding this problem is highly appreciated.

Thnx

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like I fixed it.

After uninstalling old version of VSO Image Resizer and installing a newer version it looks like the problem is fixed.

Haven't had a Explorer.exe crash for more than 24h :beer:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back with the solution Gralf, and welcome to the forums :D.

I've marked this thread as solved now.

Ask a Question