SOLVED Windows Explorer Stops Working

Reaction score
Hi!,
New problem ....Win7 Ulrimate...Everything has been going fine then out of the blue Windows Explorer keeps comming up.."Windows Explorer has to shut down etc.etc"...(not Internet Explorer)
Have run"sfc /scannow"

Has anyone else encounted this? and do you have fix..
Thanks,
ronpeck

Reaction score
Hi ronpeck,

Well, first of all, I don't really know what's sfc/scannow??

Anyway, you didn't give us much information, if you could possibly specify the error, like I used to experience it yes, many times!

Until once, it was a virus, Suspicious.Cloud2 as identified by Norton AV2011, and could not open any program at all!!!
I unfortunately had to reformat my Computer!
But in your case, I cannot define your problem yet, so can you also tell me how often do you get this error?
And What recent changes have you done before this error pops up?

As in fact, it could be any program that you recently installed causing this problem.. In that case you might try disabling it from the startup tools in msconfig, which you can go to through run through start menu !

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So when you scanned the HD it didn't find errors.

Reboot if you haven't, as that solves an amazing amount of issues.

I would also pop in the system repair disk to see if maybe the OS got corrupted.

And I doubt it's a virus but running a virus scan couldn't hurt just in case.

If you get the error again you might take a screenshot and include that in your reply.

Reaction score
Hi,

Same thing happened to me except System Restore was never turned on so I do not have a system restore point. Any ideas how to fix the issue without having to do a fresh install?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Michael, I didn't recommend a fresh install; I simply recommend putting in the install disk and running the system repair option. It does not do a complete reinstall, it simply verifies all the installed OS files and repairs any that have been corrupted.

But I would suggest you turn on restore points and make sure you have enough space allocated for the OS to actually create them and in fact you might manually create one (type "create a restore point" in the Start-search line).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fixed

Hi ronpeck,

Well, first of all, I don't really know what's sfc/scannow??

Anyway, you didn't give us much information, if you could possibly specify the error, like I used to experience it yes, many times!

Until once, it was a virus, Suspicious.Cloud2 as identified by Norton AV2011, and could not open any program at all!!!
I unfortunately had to reformat my Computer!
But in your case, I cannot define your problem yet, so can you also tell me how often do you get this error?
And What recent changes have you done before this error pops up?

As in fact, it could be any program that you recently installed causing this problem.. In that case you might try disabling it from the startup tools in msconfig, which you can go to through run through start menu !
Fixed.. been away.. and wanted to make sure everything OK.. before replying..

Thats "sfc /scannow" (with a space before the /"

Try using System File Checker to scan your OS for missing/corrupt files, complete these steps:
1.Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2.In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.
3.At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.
The scan may take some time, so be patient. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If information from the installation CD is needed to repair the problem, you may be prompted to insert your Windows CD.
Thanks all for your interest.. Hope this may help others.
ronpeck:)

Reaction score
Well thanks ronpeck,

I'm sorry I just found out.. Anyway, So that's how you've come to a solution to your problem I suppose??!!!

Thanks for replying!

Ask a Question