Windows Easy File Transfer - Win XP to Win 7

Reaction score
I used the Windows Easy Transfer program & transferred files to an external hard drive. When I use the Win & Easy Transfer to transfer the files back, I get an error message that "Windows Easy Transfer couldn't open the file". What now?

Reaction score
Hi tommaryvoight - Welcome to w7forums

Which version of Windows are you transferring from? 32-bit or 64-bit and home or professional
And which version of Windows are you trying to transfer to?

Reaction score
I used the Windows Easy Transfer program & transferred files to an external hard drive. When I use the Win & Easy Transfer to transfer the files back, I get an error message that "Windows Easy Transfer couldn't open the file". What now?
Did you download the Windows Easy Transfer program from MicroSoft's website for transferring the files? That is the only program that will transfer files into Win 7.

After using that program to transfer your XP files to an external drive (flash drive or USB drive) you can use the built in Windows Easy Transfer program to transfer you saved data files from your Windows XP drive. You will have to install all of your programs on the Windows 7 drive because the Windows Easy Transfer program will only transfer data files.

See my tutorial https://www.w7forums.com/attachment...e-without-reformatting-windows-7-tutorial.txt to get detailed instructions on making the switch from XP to Win 7.

Best Wishes,
Ed

Ask a Question