Windows 7 sleep mode doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My pc won't go into Sleep mode. Just as it starts to do so, something immediately prevents it. I've tried most of these "fixes" for over a year now and nothing has worked. I even had MS tech support do a remote location to try to fix it and they couldn't. They suggested I contact Asus for Bios updates and settings changes but that didn't work. They subsequently suggested I take it in for repair which means they don't know what else to do.

I really need this feature and have all but given up hope of being able to use it. Btw, the CMD/powercfg-energy & energy-report.html produced "xxx is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." On one of the CMD searches, the MS wireless mouse/keyboard combo I have came up as something that could be waking it up immediately, but I don't know what else to do about it.

W7U/Asus P5N-E SLI 775

Last edited:
Reaction score
Be Patient

Please help me someone!! I have called Hewlett-Packard support 5 times now, no one seems to know what to do. When I leave my computer go into sleep mode on its own, I can not get it to come out. I can see my desktop picture and hear itunes playing in the background, but I can not see ANY icons. The icons never return. I have to turn the computer off with the power button. I returned one computer to HP already, this is my second one that does this. It has to be Windows 7 since others seem to have similar issues. I am sick of this and need expert help (you guys, not HP's support).
HP in my experience have performed well for me, so I wouldn't be too guick to condem the computer and take it back. You may have a valid concern regarding the customer service but that is another issue. I also have the same problem with the computer going into hibernate or sleep mode and when i touch the mouse or keyboard it don't comeback on. I have recovered from this only by turning off the computer and restarting. When I restart I get the screen telling me Windows never shut down normally the last time and gives me recovery options, this is very annoying. I am trouble shooting this problem from other advice here on the board and hoping to find the Windows 7 solution, it is there problem apparently. Be patient. If I get a good result I will post again. Cheers!

Reaction score
possible monitor sleep issue in windows 7

I built a desktop computer for myself and one for my dad, both with windows 7, but not all hardware was the same (different mother board and processor). I have never experienced the monitor not waking from sleep but my dad does about once a week as described in most of the posts above. I discovered a BIOS setting that was different in the two machines.
Under "Power Management Setup" "ACPI Suspend Type: [S3(STR)]
"Run VGABIOS if S3 Resume" was set to "No" by default on my dad's machine (choices were "yes" or "no"). My machine "Run VGABIOS if S3 Resume" was set to "Auto" by default (choices were "Auto", "yes", or "no").
I changed my dad's machine to "yes" and his monitor seemed more responsive coming out of sleep mode. I changed this setting on my machine and my monitor didn’t wake up for the first time (needless to say I changed it back).

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I had a problem with two Dells and an HP immediately waking after sleep. It's not the keyboard or mouse-- it's the network card. Uncheck the option to allow it to wake the computer. So far I'm 3 for 3 using this.

My pc won't go into Sleep mode. Just as it starts to do so, something immediately prevents it. I've tried most of these "fixes" for over a year now and nothing has worked. I even had MS tech support do a remote location to try to fix it and they couldn't. They suggested I contact Asus for Bios updates and settings changes but that didn't work. They subsequently suggested I take it in for repair which means they don't know what else to do.

I really need this feature and have all but given up hope of being able to use it. Btw, the CMD/powercfg-energy & energy-report.html produced "xxx is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." On one of the CMD searches, the MS wireless mouse/keyboard combo I have came up as something that could be waking it up immediately, but I don't know what else to do about it.

W7U/Asus P5N-E SLI 775

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for activating an old thread that is no longer valid... NOT!

This thread is now closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question