Windows 7 sleep mode doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sleep mode problems, may be related to video drivers. I installed a new 64 bit installation in the lab using a Samsung 19 inch monitor, and everything worked perfectly, both monitor off and hibernate.
Moved working computer to add 26 inch HannsG monitor which plugged and played, re set video resultion and now both monitor switch off and hibernate dont work. Set at 20 minutes for hibernate the system switches itself off, and needs to be cold rebooted...
Any ideas?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Virtually all LCD flatscreen monitors will "Plug N Play" but work much better with their proper drivers, especially if you're using them with a DVI cable hookup.

I noticed that the HannsG website doesn't show any 26" monitors but they do show both 28" and 25" sizes. It may be listed in their Legacy Product section though.

Go to their website to check for a driver: http://www.hannsg.com/US/EN/Products/LCD Monitors/Common.aspx

Reaction score
Sleep mode problems, may be related to video drivers. I installed a new 64 bit installation in the lab using a Samsung 19 inch monitor, and everything worked perfectly, both monitor off and hibernate.
Moved working computer to add 26 inch HannsG monitor which plugged and played, re set video resultion and now both monitor switch off and hibernate dont work. Set at 20 minutes for hibernate the system switches itself off, and needs to be cold rebooted...
Any ideas?
I have just given this installation some careful thought, and two things changed not one...the second thing which was idfferent from the lab installation was that in the lab we used an usb mouse, and at the workstation we used a PS2 mouse, and I suspect that is the problem that the PS2 mouse port is not monitored.Will check tomorrow.

Finally loaded the Hann G driver ( Vista 64 bit to no effect, which suggests it is the PS2 port responsible......

Reaction score
Update in sleep mode problem. To summarise, the new box worked perfectly with mouse/keyboard and monitor in the lab when the operating system was mounted.
When moved with different mouse/keyboard/monitor, sleep and hibernate would not work. We blamed the video driver wrongly!
The cause in this case is due to Microsoft and its wireless mouse. If you plug in a second USB mouse, both work, but only the corded mouse will re awake the system!
So the fix therefore is either two mice or, park the uncorded mouse upside down to disable the laser. When the system goes into sleep mode, turn the mouse onto its correct side and then click the mouse left button and hey presto........
It does seem a bit strange that Microsoft have not written a driver so their own mouse works and wakes up the system!

Reaction score
Windows 7 Sleep/Hibernate initially worked.

I installed Windows 7 Pro when it was released in October 2009, the Sleep function worked fine. When it went to sleep Windows exited and turned off my PC. When I pressed the space key on my non-USB keyboard, Windows resumed OK. I upgraded from Windows XP Pro SP3 and I have a Dell XPS 630i PC. I installed my applications and sleep still worked. Along came a Windows update about a week after I installed Windows 7 and my applications. I noticed the Sleep function no longer worked as follows:

- I selected the Sleep function, Windows exited and turned off my PC.
- I pressed the space key on my non-USB keyboard and the PC turned on and Windows hung.
- I manually powered off my PC and powered on and I got a message that Windows was restoring data. ( Why, I thought that is what Hybernate was supposed to do?)
- Windows hung and did not restore anything. I powered my PC off and powered it on.
- Windows gave me the option to select "Delete restoring data" which I did and Windows started up as though from a shutdown or restart.

I logged a problem with Microsoft and worked with a tech support rep. The rep was unable to resolve the problem and told me to re-install Windows 7 and my applications.

- I re-installed Windows 7 Pro and my applications and sleep started working again.
- Along came a Windows 7 update and it broke the sleep function. I believe it was an update to an Nvidia driver, 8800 GE Force, something like that.

I called Microsoft back again and the tech rep had me change the BIOS power option from S3 to S1 and try the Sleep function. This caused a different result as follows:
- I selected the Sleep function and Windows exited but did NOT turn my PC off.
- I pressed the space key on my non-USB keyboard and Windows resumed.

I told the Microsoft tech rep that the sleep function did not turn my PC off. He asked how I could tell and I said that I could still hear my hard drive running and he told me I couldn't hear my hard drive running. By that time I was tired so I decided not to pursue it.

I have been a software developer/programmer since the 1960's and have written software, trouble shooted, and resolved software problems for operating systems, networks, and applications. I am now retired.

I am surprised that Microsoft has not resolved this Windows 7 related problem especially when it worked initially.

Does anyone have a resolution to this problem?

Thanks,

Eric Osterberg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Had this problem too.. try this worked for me..
Device Manager/ Keyboard/HID Keyboard Device/ Power Management/ untick "Allow this device to wake computer"
My Problem was the wireless Keyboard USB conn.. wireless mouse USB conn. I put with adapter in the PS/2 slot...
Luck:)
I tried everything suggested from googling around, but this is the only solution that worked for me. Thanks, ronpeck! x

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

I have a wired USB keyboard and mouse but I followed your advice and checked the setting. It has "Al;low this device to wake the computer" box checked.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
sleep mode does not work

Hello:
I read the messages in this forum to find out whether I can resolve the issues I have with Windows 7 and its inability to wake-up from sleep mode (HP notebook bought in April). This function did not work from the start, worked after the last Windows Update was installed last week for that day until I shut my notebook down, after that it did not work again. Since the day it worked I have not installed any new programs, but I did adjust the power options to wait 30 minutes before going into sleep mode.
I did try the suggestion to run powercfg -energy in an admin command prompt, and the resulting report points out the errors shown below. As far as I know I have the most recent BIOS (HP support sent me a web link that would have installed an older bios from Dec 09, the one I have is Feb 10).
Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated, thanks!
Beate

Errors

Platform Power Management Capabilities:ACPI _PSD Object Failed Validation
There is a problem with the definition of the ACPI _PSD object on this computer. Installing the latest system firmware (BIOS) may resolve this issue.
Group 0 Index 0

There is a problem with the definition of the ACPI _PSD object on this computer. Installing the latest system firmware (BIOS) may resolve this issue.
Group 0 Index 1

Group 0 Index 2

Group 0 Index 3

Platform Power Management Capabilities:pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Reaction score
Had this problem too.. try this worked for me..
Device Manager/ Keyboard/HID Keyboard Device/ Power Management/ untick "Allow this device to wake computer"
My Problem was the wireless Keyboard USB conn.. wireless mouse USB conn. I put with adapter in the PS/2 slot...
Luck:)
Thanks a lot :) Sleep mode is working now

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion. I have a wired USB keyboard and mouse, but I tried your suggestion anyway. It did not fix my problem, but I did not expect it to. Windows 7 logic is not working because it hangs when I try to resume. Regardless of the options Windows should not hang and have to be re-booted twice. When the first re-boot occurs, Windows 7 displays a message that it is resuming and hangs so I have to re-boot a second time. The second time, Windows 7 displays two messages: "Continue" and "Delete Restoration Data", the latter is highlighted and is really the only choice so that Windows 7 will boot.

Reaction score
In device manager or power options (I can't remember which), tell Windows 7 not to disable USB when in sleep mode. I had this same problem in Vista with my USB keyboard/mouse, so it might be worth trying.
In Power Options, (Windows 7) USB was enabled and I still have the problem. I'm stuck with pulling the power plug on the display to get monitor back to life. Keyboard chat with HP to no avail.

Reaction score
Hey guys I have just registered on this forum.

I have the same problem. Since I put my PC on sleep it doesn't start again. I tried the power off and on on the PSU, tried wired mice and keyboards, I tried everything.

Since my PC doesn't start at all I cannot change the settings in windows. When I start the PC every fan turns on only the monitor doesn't do anything and I don't get that beep sound from the hard drive. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Wired USB keyboard and mouse

I have a Dell XPS 630i PC and my keyboard and mouse are connected by USB cable to USB port on the PC. A lot of users have wireless keyboards and mouses and I was wondering if your keyboard and/or mouse are wireless or connected with a cable.

Eric Osterberg

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS 630i PC and my keyboard and mouse are connected by USB cable to USB port on the PC. A lot of users have wireless keyboards and mouses and I was wondering if your keyboard and/or mouse are wireless or connected with a cable.

Eric Osterberg
I tried both wired mouse and keyboard and also wireless ones.
I still can't get my PC to start.

Reaction score
Szury - if you're actually not getting your computer to wake.. I had that problem and as a work-around, simply unplug the mouse from the USB port in the back of your computer. That'll let it wake up and once it does, you can probably plug it right back in. Next restart or sleep, you'll encounter the same thing, though.

I can't do that on a regularly basis, ugggh. It's my work computer and I need to log on remotely from home. Kinda not possible since I'm not there to unplug the keyboard and mouse from the computer.

Reaction score
Szury - if you're actually not getting your computer to wake.. I had that problem and as a work-around, simply unplug the mouse from the USB port in the back of your computer. That'll let it wake up and once it does, you can probably plug it right back in. Next restart or sleep, you'll encounter the same thing, though.

I can't do that on a regularly basis, ugggh. It's my work computer and I need to log on remotely from home. Kinda not possible since I'm not there to unplug the keyboard and mouse from the computer.
I think I found the problem. If you use win7 and wireless devices you will have to set something in bios or on the motherboard. Some S1 to S2,S3 setting. Haven't tried it yet.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think I found the problem. If you use win7 and wireless devices you will have to set something in bios or on the motherboard. Some S1 to S2,S3 setting. Haven't tried it yet.
It's called ACPI (Advanced Configuration & Power Interface), and you may need to update your BIOS to get it. It is required to sleep/hibernate properly.

Now what may be affected by ACPI is your mouse/keyboard/wireless devices/etc in that what it does is shut them down to conserve power while in sleep or hibernation - this can be disabled in the control panel \ device manager on an item by item basis; simply find the Power Management Settings tab on the devices that support it and set or disable as needed. For instance, some people like their mouse to sleep so that the computer won't wake if they bump their desk - they simply hit the space bar etc on their keyboard.

You can also control sleep settings / hibernation times etc in control panel \ power settings. But especially on laptops you want to leave it enabled if possible.

Out-dated video drivers can actually prevent sleep mode so it is best to update to the latest.

At an administrator command prompt type:
powercfg -a
and see if it offers you more information.

Reaction score
Ok! I did what Catilley1092 mentioned on pg 2 of this thread... I went to drivermax and updated all of my drivers, and something must have worked (although I'm not even sure which driver update did the trick). I assumed with a new computer I *did* have every new updated driver. Silly me. But my problem has been solved. Yay! (And a big thanks to Catilley1092!)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just a reminder, ALWAYS made a System Restore Point prior to installing any new drivers (Type Restore Point in the Start Search bar). When it works it is great but unfortunately quite often driver checking programs recommend the wrong driver and you may need to spend a good deal of time in safe mode trying to recover.

I'm glad you are running smoothly Tjgirl. szury please make sure your BIOS and drivers are up to date and let us know if you are still having trouble.

Reaction score
And too, driver update programs don't always have the newest drivers. For the newest drivers it is best to download from the manufacturer site of each driver in question. However if you are not experiencing any troubles, chances are you don't need newer drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question