Prices of the official windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey everybody, olg207 again.

Does anybody know the prices for the windows 7 official release, by this i mean the release where you have to buy for the OS.

This way i can start saving up.

Im already downloading the RC but want to know about prices, for the different version of the OS.
And does anybody know what different versions there will be, i.e windows 7 home premium.

Reaction score
almost the same as vista editions

ultimate is the most expensive

64 bit will cost about 50 - 100 bucks more then 32 bit

Reaction score
Cheers, does anybody know any more info, such as the price in GBP and the windows 7 editions

Reaction score
I don't know, there has been a lot of talk that Windows 7 wont cost as much as Vista did when it first came out, but then again, there are NO set prices at all, so we really can't say yet.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Probably the talk regarding W7 pricing has been more along the line of "it should cost a lot less than Vista did" rather than what it will actually cost.

I'm disappointed by the possibility of them having all these endless editions, like they did with Vista. I bought Vista Ultimate, and I am still waiting for all those "exciting Ultimate Extras" they promised in their dev team hype-blogs.

Reaction score
I hope that home premium will be less then 150

If MS wants happy people make a $50 upgrade for Vista premium and ultimate users

Reaction score
Microsoft should recognise there is a world recession, and should price "competively" (in quotes because there is really no competition), that way discouraging the hackers and piracy users. I seem to recall there was one African nation where Microsoft reckoned that 99% of all Windows installations were pirate versions, including government computers, and "legitamised" them by selling licences for some ridiculous price, perhaps the equivalent of 1 dollar. No profit in it for Microsoft, but it at least stopped the pirates profiting further. I don't for one moment suggest that Windows 7 should be sold for that kind of cost in the developed world, but a reasonable cost, perhaps 80 dollars/55 GBP/60 Euros. Too much to expect? Almost certainly. Probably too expensive to discourage the pirates, too cheap to satisfy Microsoft.

Reaction score
i wud say ... **** knows guys ... we just have to wait and see wots comes next

well here im planing to upgrate from vista home premium ( got oem crap completly legit and legal wich i cud not manage to install /reinstall in futher ( i guess the cd is messed up , some manufacturer errors probably )

hehe on the other side im not gonna make uncle Bill even richer , depend how much they rise the price i will decide to buy or not to buy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Microsoft should recognise there is a world recession, and should price "competively" (in quotes because there is really no competition), that way discouraging the hackers and piracy users. I seem to recall there was one African nation where Microsoft reckoned that 99% of all Windows installations were pirate versions, including government computers, and "legitamised" them by selling licences for some ridiculous price, perhaps the equivalent of 1 dollar. No profit in it for Microsoft, but it at least stopped the pirates profiting further. I don't for one moment suggest that Windows 7 should be sold for that kind of cost in the developed world, but a reasonable cost, perhaps 80 dollars/55 GBP/60 Euros. Too much to expect? Almost certainly. Probably too expensive to discourage the pirates, too cheap to satisfy Microsoft.
I wonder what kind of Windows piracy rates there across developed countries - it would be interesting to know :) I guess MS calculate it so that they can make the optimum amount of money based on the price and piracy rate, but it would be good if they sell the normal home editions for a sensible price.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
They poured a lot of money into promoting Vista. I used to see ads for it before it was released, they were everywhere. Their expectations for sales numbers were big. Many home consumers downgraded to XP. Reviews were merciless. Businesses did not adopt Vista. For all practical purposes, XP is still Microsoft's biggest hit and most used OS.

I honestly think that the development effort to create W7 has been much less exhausting than when they were working on Longhorn since they had Vista to base it on... And in that sense, they should use more competitive pricing. But the problem is that they'll want to make up for the Vista numbers... And while I don't like it, I can understand it.

What I don't agree with however is this edition business. Vista was such a heavy OS that having separate editions made at least some kind of sense. But the W7 beta and RC are Ultimate editions... This is not heavy. This isn't a resource hog. I see the Ultimate edition being just as user-friendly and appropriate for the home user, the power user, and the business user. 7 is lightweight and fast even on less astonishing hardware. And in all honesty since a lot has been stripped down for this OS, I'd say the Ultimate edition doesn't really seem to contain anything that I would like to see (or would feel to be appropriate to be) stripped from any Home editions.

If memory serves me right, 95 and 98 didn't have any "professional editions". They were just Windows 95 and 98, with service packs bundled in for Second Editions later on. I think it was Windows 2000 that started this whole Professional edition business. And then XP just took it to an extreme.

I don't think W7 needs any editions beyond regular (Ultimate) and corporate (Business). This Windows 7 Ultimate I am running now is the bare minimum that Vista Home Basic should have been.

Back when I was an XP user I used a pirated copy until the prices came down to what I considered reasonable. I bought XP Pro from a reseller for $80 and thought it was a fair price for what I knew I was getting. No, it's not the consumer that has the right to decide the price for something, it's legally up to the business producing the product. But let's get real here... $499 introductory price tag for Vista Ultimate? Some extra screensavers and sound packs? That was more than I paid for rent. Here's hoping they'll use their brains this time. Activation schemes aren't going to throttle piracy... Competitive pricing can.

Reaction score
Actually we must wait as Windows 7 is still in its Development stage. Yes it might be almost at the same price as Vista as i think.

Reaction score
i wud say ... **** knows guys ... we just have to wait and see wots comes next

well here im planing to upgrate from vista home premium ( got oem crap completly legit and legal wich i cud not manage to install /reinstall in futher ( i guess the cd is messed up , some manufacturer errors probably )

hehe on the other side im not gonna make uncle Bill even richer , depend how much they rise the price i will decide to buy or not to buy
You could download the same copy and use the activation key you have.

It would be fine, its the Key that makes it legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question