Windows 7 Not Booting Past Logo

Reaction score
I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on my laptop.

Recently, I found a program called SlimDrivers on Lifehacker which basically automates the process of scanning for and downloading driver updates. Last night as I was running it, an error occured in a driver installation and required a reboot. I went through the reboot and my computer was just hanging at the shutdown screen for about 30 mins, so I decided to hard boot it by shutting it off by the power button.

Now, whenever I try to boot my computer, it sits at the "Starting Windows" screen with the Windows logo. I've left it there for up to 6 hours, absolutely nothing happens. I do not have the Windows 7 disc because this was an OEM install. How can I fix this?

Reaction score
I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on my laptop.

Recently, I found a program called SlimDrivers on Lifehacker which basically automates the process of scanning for and downloading driver updates. Last night as I was running it, an error occured in a driver installation and required a reboot. I went through the reboot and my computer was just hanging at the shutdown screen for about 30 mins, so I decided to hard boot it by shutting it off by the power button.

Now, whenever I try to boot my computer, it sits at the "Starting Windows" screen with the Windows logo. I've left it there for up to 6 hours, absolutely nothing happens. I do not have the Windows 7 disc because this was an OEM install. How can I fix this?
#1: Reboot the laptop.
#2: Tap the F8 key several times before before windows starts (or in your case before it attempts to start windows).
#3: You should see Safe mode and several other options listed.
Select "Last Known Good Configuration" and see if Windows will boot up.

If that doesn't work, then try booting into Safe Mode.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What Tushman said is correct. If you end up having to go into safe mode then at that point if you created a restore point then attempt a restore otherwise you may be able to go to device manager and revert to the previous driver (of whatever device you last installed).

I just wrote up this little blirb for another thread and I will throw out the info here as well ..
A lot of problems are caused by out-dated drivers, there are many tools out there to help you check your current drivers, unfortunately most of them can do more harm than good. I used a product called Device Doctor, it fixed two drivers I had and then installed a third which crashed my system and took me an hour to recover in safe-mode. My advice would be to run it and see what it suggests but unless it suggests, for example, a sound driver and your sound isn't working, then I wouldn't install the driver. Your safest bet is to write down the drivers it suggests you need and then go to the websites of the manufacturer of that part (or of your computer if you cannot locate a site for the particular part) and get the latest direct from them. And it is always a good idea to create a restore point prior to installing any driver updates.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My two cents is that it is THE USER'S responsibility to have the latest drivers on-hand for install when doing a new or reinstall of the operating system.

It's not that hard to do, but when first doing this it may take some time if one is not familiar with the drivers and their respective websites.

Relying solely on a third-party program or Windows Update to do the job is just asking for problems, etc.

Reaction score
My two cents is that it is THE USER'S responsibility to have the latest drivers on-hand for install when doing a new or reinstall of the operating system.
A little harsh I think Nibs, what about a user who has bought a PC pre-installed and is either new to computers or Windows 7. Sure they can take it back to the retailers but as we've seen in posts the retailers are not awlays the fastest solution.

Yes, for those doing an install or perhaps more for those doing a re-install with some expereince in how it all works sure but really I don't think it's unreasonable for a new user to have the expectations that something new should just work.

We know it's not like that but if a there is a new user coming across from a Mac or Linux environment they must be feeling there is a lot of hoops to jump through to get Win 7 working.

Reaction score
A little harsh I think Nibs, what about a user who has bought a PC pre-installed and is either new to computers or Windows 7. Sure they can take it back to the retailers but as we've seen in posts the retailers are not awlays the fastest solution.

Yes, for those doing an install or perhaps more for those doing a re-install with some expereince in how it all works sure but really I don't think it's unreasonable for a new user to have the expectations that something new should just work.

We know it's not like that but if a there is a new user coming across from a Mac or Linux environment they must be feeling there is a lot of hoops to jump through to get Win 7 working.
I agree. I would also add that updating drivers should be done on a case by case basis. i.e. if there is a specific problem to address or (in the case with video driver) a performance gain to be realized by doing so. In my experience updating hardware drivers (again with the exception of video card driver) doesn't improve overall system performance so it shouldn't be viewed as some sort of maintenance item like you would for defragging the HDD or clearing out the TIF cache.

This is one of the reasons why I don't need or want some extraneous software installed on my rig to check for driver updates. Besides that, I don't want any 'extra' software gumming up the works.

Reaction score
In my experience updating hardware drivers (again with the exception of video card driver) doesn't improve overall system performance so it shouldn't be viewed as some sort of maintenance item
Yeah, it is always a good idea and good practice to keep updated drivers.

An example of what happens when you don't is that - now the AVG, Norton, ZA or whatever 3rd party security app you're running may eventually fail because these companies hadn't tested with these old drivers on their test systems....

basically things like that, incompatibilities like sptd.sys and many security apps colliding etc...

or so many times things are fixed in drivers where you don't even know the difference, but the new update was needed....like a driver that was causing power related bsods.

I'm sure many people have inadvertently cured bsod issues by updating drivers and not even realizing it and that type of thing.

Reaction score
Yeah, it is always a good idea and good practice to keep updated drivers.

An example of what happens when you don't is that - now the AVG, Norton, ZA or whatever 3rd party security app you're running may eventually fail because these companies hadn't tested with these old drivers on their test systems....

basically things like that, incompatibilities like sptd.sys and many security apps colliding etc...

or so many times things are fixed in drivers where you don't even know the difference, but the new update was needed....like a driver that was causing power related bsods.

I'm sure many people have inadvertently cured bsod issues by updating drivers and not even realizing it and that type of thing.
mmm... not sure I agree with that. We will have to agree to just disagree. I will just reassert my own personal belief that updating drivers should be done on a case by case (or component by component) basis rather than trying to keep everything updated and warding off some some of evilness. :)

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic for discussion as being a forum we tend to hear from people with problems not from all those who don't and it gives a slant that drivers are a big issue hopefully there are uncountable numbers of Win 7 users out there without issues. Having said that I tend to think that if I installed a current O/S with all new hardware it should just be working. I KNOW I'm talking in the past but I never had to chase drivers with XP even when XP was new and the latest thing out.

There just seems to be too many diffrent stories with Windows and I do wish M/S could get things more consistent. My other opinion fwiw is that as the O/S 's being written by M/s get more and more complex they may in the end come to the conclusion that the only way to avoid all this is to market in the way Apple does with packages under their own brand name. It would destroy the hobbyist movement which would be a pity but in the end may evolve to that.

Ask a Question