Windows 7 Keys, Legit?

Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a key for my second computer, so I was wondering if I could just buy a key for it and use my software I already have. I did a quick search on google and I came across this site http://www.win7serialkeysale.com/ and I am wondering if it is legit, or just another scam site. Some detail on the matter would be nice.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it's too good to be true then it probably is. You can download the software for free so it IS the license key that you are paying for all the time; they try to make it sound like the software is most of the cost which is untrue.

Often times they are reselling the same keys over & over and unfortunately for the victims they may work for up to 4 months before Microsoft finally shuts the key off. Often after it is too late to file a claim with your credit card company.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That site is clearly conducting illegal activity. Note the ARIN Details show the domain is registered out of Amsterdam, but there's a street adress in Norfolk, VA tied to it that Google Maps puts in the middle of the street in front of parking lots. In a red car specifically - about to run into the side of a red pickup truck - if you zoom in. ;) Then the domain registrant has a hivaserver.com email address, which is out of Ontario, Canada. So there are just too many twists and turns for this to be legit.

If prices were that cheap, BestBuy, Newegg, Walmart, and all the others would be selling them for about the same prices.

Often after it is too late to file a claim with your credit card company.
And after they have your credit card information!

My advice - DON'T DO IT! I agree. "If it sounds too good to be true..."

If the budget is too tight right now to purchase a legal license, and you cannot wait until you have the necessary funds, then I recommend you go with one of the many very capable and FREE Linux alternatives.

CLEARLY, you have some good instincts, RadioSilence. Or you would not have asked first! :beer:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As a follow-up; I contacted my Microsoft MVP Team Lead, asking about that site and if Microsoft's legal department needs to be poked about it. I got a quick response back that included a link to Microsoft Licensing FAQs (I recommend all review and bookmark this).

Note under Ensuring Genuine Microsoft Software, the 6th FAQ,
Q. I see products like Win 7 Professional—COA only—advertised for sale. Is this legal?

A. Offers to distribute incomplete OEM System Builder software packages are not legal. Under no circumstances are system builders or any other vendors authorized to distribute single OEM System Builder software components such as standalone Certificates of Authenticity (COAs).

Please note that the Certificate of Authenticity included with each OEM System Builder software package authenticates only the software components with which it is legally distributed. As mentioned, any offer to distribute an incomplete Microsoft software package (e.g., COA only) is not authorized, and any individual who was to obtain incomplete Microsoft software components would not be authorized to use the associated software or redistribute the components. For OEM System Builder Windows desktop operating systems, the complete software package must include the COA, hologram CD, and manual(s).

If you are aware of or have suspicions of piracy concerning Microsoft software, we urge you to contact us by email at (e-mail address removed) or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting.

Additionally, we recommend acquiring Microsoft OEM software from an authorized Microsoft OEM distributor or associate—an assured source of genuine Microsoft software. You can find a list of the distributors in your country here.
And on a similar note, the 5th FAQ,
Q. I get many email solicitations offering "Microsoft software at cheap prices." Is this software legal?

A. Most likely no, this is not legal. Several software counterfeiting operations around the globe are marketing their goods through spam email advertisements. In an attempt to mask their location, these organizations change their names and email addresses daily. The basic contents of the spam message remain the same: "Microsoft software offered at cheap prices."

The advertisers use terms like "OEM software" as an attempt to explain why the offered software is so inexpensive. Microsoft is working to educate customers and partners about the risks of getting software from suspicious sources. We're investigating these spam and counterfeiting operations and trying to stop this activity. Purchasing from known and trusted sources and avoiding "too-good-to-be-true" deals are the best ways to avoid wasting valuable money on counterfeit or infringing software.
Did you notice "Copyright ?" at the bottom of that site? I think that's another clue something is fishy. FTR, I have reported that site to the email address included in the FAQ above. My guess is the site (with that domain name) will shut down soon, but will immediately reopen under a different name and IP. :(

Understand the issue is MUCH more than just fraudulently selling, buying or using illegally obtained software licenses, or actual copies of illegally copied software. It is about security. And security trumps all.

The problem is many (most?) users of illegal software know perfectly well they are illegal. And as such, are afraid to connect to Microsoft for critical updates and patches for fear of being caught. This means these computer are vulnerable to being compromised by badguys, then used as spamming machines, as zombies or bots in bot-armies conducting DDoS attacks, or to distribute their malware. In other words, these compromised machines are used as weapons against the rest of us! Usually without the user even knowing it.

Even if just 1% of the Windows users out there are using illegal copies, there are an estimated 1 billion+ Windows machines in use today - and 1% of 1 billion is still 10,000,000 infected machines - targeting us! That's on top of all the millions of other infected machines, totally legal, but with users not disciplined in practicing safe computing. :(

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Two excellent posts to read from Digerati.
Maybe an opportunity to point out the hidden problems with a site which is often recommended as legit for Microsoft OS downloads.. here is a quote from MS on the subject:
" The links are not provided with Microsoft's permission, nor are the downloads in agreement with Microsoft's terms of use. In fact on the Digital River website qualified users (i.e. students who bought from the Microsoft site during a specified eligibility period) are directed to contact customer support directly to obtain download links; the fact that one or more of them must have passed the links along does not change the fact that the unqualified use of the links is not permitted.

The Digital River Terms of Use:
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/sto...e/pbPage.Terms
(Eligibility restricted to students purchasing through the offer up to January 3, 2010; those students only can download, with the alternative option of buying the disks at the low promotional price of $13; etc.)

Software may not be copied, adapted, translated, made available, distributed, varied, modified, disassembled, decompiled, reverse engineered or combined with any other software, save to the extent that (i) this is permitted in the License Terms, or (ii) applicable law expressly mandates such a right which cannot legally be excluded by contract."

Ask a Question