Windows 7 Backup Failed

Reaction score
I had the same problem until I deactivated my antivirus (Microsoft security essentials). After that all backups succeeded and no more problems!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
tanzanos, welcome to the forum! I hope that you find a home here, as this is the best of all computing forums that I've ever been a member of. There's many tutorials on the site, as well as professional assistance.

However, I've never had to deactivate my AV (MSE) to backup, although it won't hurt anything to do so, as long as you're not "online". I always disconnect from my internet connection prior to backup, so deactivating MSE won't hurt anything. In fact, I'll keep this in mind when I backup again.

Thanks for the advice, it'll be useful to many members.

I hope that you enjoy the forum, and find it as useful as I have, I've made a few friends along the way, too.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
However, I've never had to deactivate my AV (MSE) to backup, although it won't hurt anything to do so, as long as you're not "online". I always disconnect from my internet connection prior to backup, so deactivating MSE won't hurt anything. In fact, I'll keep this in mind when I backup again.
Thanks for the welcome!
I have win7 x 64 since February and all the backups always failed about 30% into the backup process. This stopped when I deactivated MSE. Now all my backups complete smoothly (of course after the backup completes I reactivate MSE). Perhaps this is a bug regarding the 64 bit version of win7?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Actually, I had to reinstall my 64 bit version of Win 7 Home Premium before it would properly backup. It kept hanging around 60% or so. There was one single folder out of place, the downloads folder. I repeated a few times, with no success, contacted HP, was advised to reinstall.

When I did, everything worked fine, and my backup went smooth. However, I no longer use Windows Backup, it's way too slow. I switched to Macrium Reflect, it done the job in a third of the time (or less) than Windows Backup does.

Today, I use Acronis True Image Home 2010 as my preferred backup method. It is slower than Macrium, but you have more options, such as incremental backups that doesn't take long.

However, I always keep one full backup with Macrium on hand.

But as far as the standard Windows Backup goes, it's a usable product. I've recovered twice with it. It, along with Macrium, gives Windows users no more excuses not to backup anymore. Backup drives (premade) or you can take a old drive and buy a case for it, or better yet, a new one, are at the lowest prices that I've ever seen. You can also use DVD's (CD's take too long, and too many of them), if you don't have a drive, or cannot afford it.

Most, if not all new computers gives you the option to create restore discs, which you should also make ASAP after the computer purchase. Consult your owner's manual for details. While this is an important thing to do, it doesn't recover your programs & personal data, such as documents, pictures & emails. At the very minimum, back these up to a USB thumb drive.

I just cannot describe how imperative it is to backup.

Cat

Reaction score
Actually, I had to reinstall my 64 bit version of Win 7 Home Premium before it would properly backup. It kept hanging around 60% or so. There was one single folder out of place, the downloads folder. I repeated a few times, with no success, contacted HP, was advised to reinstall.

When I did, everything worked fine, and my backup went smooth. However, I no longer use Windows Backup, it's way too slow. I switched to Macrium Reflect, it done the job in a third of the time (or less) than Windows Backup does.

Today, I use Acronis True Image Home 2010 as my preferred backup method. It is slower than Macrium, but you have more options, such as incremental backups that doesn't take long.

However, I always keep one full backup with Macrium on hand.

But as far as the standard Windows Backup goes, it's a usable product. I've recovered twice with it. It, along with Macrium, gives Windows users no more excuses not to backup anymore. Backup drives (premade) or you can take a old drive and buy a case for it, or better yet, a new one, are at the lowest prices that I've ever seen. You can also use DVD's (CD's take too long, and too many of them), if you don't have a drive, or cannot afford it.

Most, if not all new computers gives you the option to create restore discs, which you should also make ASAP after the computer purchase. Consult your owner's manual for details. While this is an important thing to do, it doesn't recover your programs & personal data, such as documents, pictures & emails. At the very minimum, back these up to a USB thumb drive.

I just cannot describe how imperative it is to backup.

Cat
Anyone who does not backup is a perfect candidate as a suicide bomber and can apply to al quaida for a job! :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's funny!:lol: It's also like playing Russian Roulette with your valued collection of software, family pictures (this happened to me), bookmarks, and in general, the way you have your computer set up.

Everyone is different as to what they do with their computer, over time you accumulate a lot of bookmarks, things that you don't want to lose. I certainly don't want to lose mine again. It takes a lot of time and work to get your computer the way that you want it, why take the chance of losing it, when the programs (most) are free.

Many users upgrade their hard drives, this makes a perfect backup drive, by simply spending $20 (or less) on a drive case, which usually includes a power supply & a USB cable. For that price, it's not going to make a fashion statement, but who cares? As long as it's functional, that's what counts.

And backup drives (pre-built) costs less and less all the time. As a registered Seagate customer, just yesterday, they sent me an email, with an offer to buy a 1.5TB Free Agent for $99 (using a discount code), and free shipping. If I didn't have what I already do, I would jump all over it. Being a highly compulsive shopper, I had to delete that email, or I would have found an excuse to purchase it. Those kind of offers are hard for me to walk away from, but in my situation, I can't afford to have this kind of mentality.

My point is, it costs less than ever to backup, and is so easy a child could do it. Hopefully this will alert some users that doesn't backup to get into the practice of doing it. It's not intimidating and easier than ever to do.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Cat

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
For some wierd reason (bug or bad programming) the onboard windows backup program sometimes 'breaks' because of programs that add a selection to the right-click menu. This happened to me when Win 7 first came out and I installed a program called a-squared. It added a right-click menu item and windows backup refused to work properly until I removed the program. It could be the same bug happening to you but in your case it's MSE adding the right-click menu item. I dont run MSE on my machine so dont know if the right-click option could be disabled but the main program keep running.

Ask a Question