Windows 7 Backup Failed

Reaction score
Hi All

I have desperately been trying to perform a backup on my computer for about a day now and whenever I try to use the Windows Backup I get the following two errors about 25GB (out of 120GB) into my first backup run:

Code:
The backup operation that started at '‎2010‎-‎05‎-‎15T21:00:09.040000000Z' has failed with following error code '2155347999' (Windows Backup cannot find the shared protection point.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.
Then a few seconds later I get the following error:

Code:
The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037).
I have read through everything I can find on google and there does not seem to be an answer as to what is causing this problem.

I have two junction points in my main "users" folder and I thought this may be causing the problem. Indeed when I select a "test" folder to backup, it does so without a problem. However, I am unsure how I should "deselect" these, i.e. make sure that these aren't part of backup. What I did was only select the folders I was sure did not have any junction points or symlinks. I also created custom libraries with the required folders for backup and even these caused problems.

Finally, I went into each and every folder, ensured there was no malware, junction points, symlinks or essentially anything that could be causing a problem and I ran the backup again selecting only a small selection. This time the backup ran to only 3GB.

This is really annoying as in principle the Windows Backup seems adequate for my needs.

I am already backing up my basic documents to dropbox and Windows Backup is just another level of protection for me.

Anyway does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can make this work?

If not can anyone recommend a VERY simple backup programme? I don't need hundreds of features, just something that does incremental backups and allows me to restore a previous version.

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't had this issue myself but two possible problems identified as culprit are:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/973455/. If you add a reparse point or a child of a reparse point to a library.
2. Antivirus/Antimalware reporting some bad files and holding locks for those files. Backup fails when it tries to backup these files. For this, please remove the bad files reported by the Antivirus/Antimalware and rerun backup.

What you call junction points are likely issue 1 identified above.

Source thread here ...
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...f/thread/8be1ce21-a23d-4d2b-8563-5882dc73a383

Reaction score
I haven't had this issue myself but two possible problems identified as culprit are:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/973455/. If you add a reparse point or a child of a reparse point to a library.
2. Antivirus/Antimalware reporting some bad files and holding locks for those files. Backup fails when it tries to backup these files. For this, please remove the bad files reported by the Antivirus/Antimalware and rerun backup.

What you call junction points are likely issue 1 identified above.

Source thread here ...
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...f/thread/8be1ce21-a23d-4d2b-8563-5882dc73a383
THanks I have already ready through that forum and tried point 1, by making sure I am not backing up junction points.

Also I do not have any viruses (as far as my AV is concerned)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Why are you using this buggy program to backup your files?

Relieve your stress and install Macrium Reflect Free. This is a VERY popular backup imaging program. I backed up my Windows 7 Pro x64 in about 3-1/2 minutes yesterday. (About a 13 GB size).

I backup to an external hard drive, but you can use DVDs also.

The fastest disk imaging software is now available as a free edition.
Absolutely free! No strings! The only free XP, Vista and Windows 7 compatible disk imaging software with BartPE and Linux based recovery options.

• Create a disk image whilst running Windows using Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS).
  • Image to Network, USB, FireWire drives and DVD.
  • Built in scheduler.
  • 32 bit and native 64 bit versions.
  • Industry leading compression levels and speed.
  • Linux based Rescue CD with Network access and full GUI. Only 6.5MB in size!
  • Built in CD/DVD packet writing engine. Supports packet writing to DVD DL media with Windows Vista.
  • HTML log files.
Version information

Version:
v4.2.2525 Date: 18th March 2010 File Size: 31.8 MB

File Name:
reflect_setup_free_x86_x64.exe Windows Versions: XP, Vista, Windows 7. 32 and native 64 Bit.

Download from Download.com

Read about it HERE

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, however i am looking for a file backup service not a disk imaging one.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It may be worth at least trying to run while your virus software is disabled in case it has locks on any of the files, not a virus per se, just that it is holding the file "in use".

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, however i am looking for a file backup service not a disk imaging one.
When you say file backup service, do you mean a program to do it for you automatically?

If you buy either the paid version of Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image, both of these will do what you want.

If you want to do it manually, then just get an external hard drive and do it yourself.

Reaction score
It may be worth at least trying to run while your virus software is disabled in case it has locks on any of the files, not a virus per se, just that it is holding the file "in use".
One of the forums suggested doing this. I am using Microsoft security essentials and i disabled real time protection but it still didn't work.

Reaction score
When you say file backup service, do you mean a program to do it for you automatically?

If you buy either the paid version of Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image, both of these will do what you want.

If you want to do it manually, then just get an external hard drive and do it yourself.
Thanks for the suggestions. But before i pay for software I'd like to get the free windows software to work, if possible.

Reaction score
Just to clarify i need to either get windows 7 backup working or find some software that backs up my files new versions. Ideally something like Macs time machine is exactly what I'm looking for.

Reaction score
try Norton Ghost to backup your system. it is the only app i can rely on in matters of backup.

Reaction score
Thanks, but I tried Norton Ghost and besides it being very resources heavy, it's far too expensive at USD 70.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Check this out and see if it will work for you; it should be right up your alley since it's free and appears to offer the features you want.

FileFort Backup Software

Reliable File Backup Software for Business

FileFort is an easy to use file backup program that will automatically backup your critical data to virtually any type of storage media including CD, DVD, Blu-ray and remote FTP servers. Don't take chances with your business' valuable data. FileFort lets you set and forget with its fully automated backup process, giving you peace of mind that your data is safe and secure.

FileFort allows complete control over your backups. You can set your files to automatically or manually backup to a specified location. You can also schedule regular back times by date or time.

File Fort is a completely FREE backup software application for Windows PCs and Pocket PCs.

Designed to be very easy and intuitive to use, this software will have you ready to backup files within minutes. We make this software free in the hope you will like it so much you will try our other software for business.

Get It Now

See more audio editing screenshots >>>

Features

• Lets you backup files to virtually any type of storage media.
  • Easy to use setup wizard lets you setup and run a backup in seconds.
  • Run either manual or automatic backups.
  • Schedule your files to backup at particular dates and/or times.
  • Simple, easy to use interface.
FileFort backups can then be either:

• Left on your hard disk or a network folder.
  • Uploaded to a remote FTP server using Fling FTP Software .
  • Written to a CD, DVD or Blu-ray disk using Express Burn.
Backup Software

Introduction
Features
System Requirements
Download Now
- for Windows
- for Pocket PC
Screenshots
Questions (FAQs)
Technical Support

System Requirements

• Works on Windows Vista 2000/XP/2003/2008 and Windows 7
  • Pocket PC 2003, Smartphone 2003, Windows Mobile 5/6
  • [optional] CD, DVD or Blu-ray burner.
  • [optional] Internet access for FTP transfer or automatic emailling.
Download Backup Software

More Information...

Reaction score
Thanks I decided to go with Acronis True Image 2010. It's paid but it worked really well for me. I especially liked it's "nonstop backup" feature.

I haven't paid for it (using the trial) but provided it backs everything up and allows me to recover, then I think I plan on buying it.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Good deal for you! I was trying to steer you to some superior software compared to the frustrations you were experiencing with the windows backup.

If you need anything else let me know. BTW, Acronis True Image is a TOP-RATED program. Most of the uber-geeks I know use it.

Reaction score
Another update, while Acronis was great it was a MAJOR resource hog. I have 6gb of ram and this ate up 500mb in total (it ran about 7 different processes). Also the backup was slow and made my external hard drive very noisy. In sum, I wasn't happy. I looked around further and came across Genie Timeline Home 2.0. This is basically Time Machine for Windows. It does exactly the same thing as Apple's Time Machine, except it's got a lot more customisation options and it works on Windows. The features in this program were exactly what I wanted (i.e. quick, easy backup and ability to load older versions). It also has a light memory footprint (150mb in total while backing up and about 75mb when idle).

Thanks again!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When my computer was new (last November), I tried to backup using Windows backup, and the backup kept failing over a file out of place. So after many attempts, I reinstalled my OS, the backup ran perfect. Windows Backup is very picky, if something's wrong with your file system (your system may be running well, but you'd never know), it won't go. That file system must be in perfect order for it to work. Hope this helps. BTW, Macrium is an excellent backup/disc imaging program that doesn't cost a cent.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
When my computer was new (last November), I tried to backup using Windows backup, and the backup kept failing over a file out of place. So after many attempts, I reinstalled my OS, the backup ran perfect. Windows Backup is very picky, if something's wrong with your file system (your system may be running well, but you'd never know), it won't go. That file system must be in perfect order for it to work. Hope this helps. BTW, Macrium is an excellent backup/disc imaging program that doesn't cost a cent.
True. And really annoying as well. Windows Backup refused to back up after I installed Hypercam 2, which corrupted system files.

Seeing as reinstalling the OS each time this happens is kinda annoying, it might be better to do a system restore to before the problems. Worked for me.

3rd Party softwares do a much better job than Windows Features do! +1 for Macrium.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
System Restore may very well work for some, but I purchased my desktop right after 7 was released. Vista was originally on the PC, then 7 was loaded on it, and somehow, the file system got screwed up. They (HP) had probably tens of thousands of computers to upgrade, so they were most likely in a hurry. As long as the computers booted, they passed them through. One file was out of place, the downloads folder. After the reinstall, everything was fine.

Ask a Question