Windows 7 Application Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
UltraMon latest version worked perfect with 32bit. Its W7 compatible.

I have a question can i use PostgreSQL 8.4 (all the package PostgreSQL server, PgAdmin III and StackBuilder) normally is there any problems?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've tested:

Mil Shield,
Lafasoft Firewall,
Firefox 3.5

and they work properly on Windows 7.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Eraser works in XP, Vista and Windows 7 apart from browsers this is my most used application and can be set to use the same overwriting as DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke). Eraser sits in your right click menu and is a very efficient tool.

Eraser is an advanced security tool for Windows which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns.

Link
http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Reaction score
If you're struggling to run something, try right clicking and go "Troubleshoot compatibility" and chose what compatibility mode you want to run it in (if you haven't already done so).

Alternativley, run it with admin rights. One of my games won't run at all apart from with admin rights.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Good info there Sycthus, use this myself and i find Windows 7 a pleasure to use :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The official list from Microsoft is improving all the time. To continue publishing apps which work, might get too ponderous to have real meaning. I would suggest (another thread) that members post in problem apps and perhaps the site will get some good feedback on how to deal with those problems.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Windows 7 has a Disk Burner just pop a CD / DVD in your DVD Burner and click twice on a ISO file and Windows 7 will Burn to Disk ... but sometimes you need more control, I have been using IMGBurn for years is a multi platform lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application and supports a wide range of image file formats - including BIN, CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI and more. IMGBurn has no whistles and bells it just does exactly what its made to do and does it very well, whats more its Free, works with Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 and 7 (including all the 64-bit versions). If you use Wine, it should also run on Linux and other x86-based Unixes.

Link http://www.imgburn.com/

Reaction score
ImgBurn is brilliant, it's what I used to burn 7 to a disk. Unfortunatley Nero 7 doesn't support ISO burning, so ImgBurn filled the gap perfectly.

Thing I have tried and work:
Spotify
Parabellum
War Rock
Dawn of War II (yet to try other DOWs)
Mozilla Thunderbird
And plenty of others.

Reaction score
Here's some that I found to work fine. Some of these are uncommon apps but some may be more common.
Fresh Diagnose
Office XP
Handbrake
Super ©
Ice Chat 7- irc client
HijackThis- surprised this hasn't been mentioned
Real Player
Putty- ssh client

Reaction score
Here are software that I've tested on Windows 7

Mil Shield 7.1

Firefox 3.5

AVG Anti-Virus FE 9.0.686

All work pretty well in this system.

Reaction score
One thing that does NOT work after upgrading is Hotspot Shield, an IP shield I use because I live in Canada and need it to access things like Hulu. Does anyone know of a IP shield that does work with Windows 7?

Rob

Reaction score
Haven't tested it extensively but Microsoft Office 2010 (BETA) seems to be working fine.
uTorrent 2.0 (RC) is working too.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
One thing that does NOT work after upgrading is Hotspot Shield, an IP shield I use because I live in Canada and need it to access things like Hulu. Does anyone know of a IP shield that does work with Windows 7?
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but Peerblock works in 32 and 64 bit Windows 7

Other things that work:
Nexxtech USB Webcam [2516523A] - just bought it today, on the box it shows "Certified for Vista", Just plug in and windows finds all the needed drivers

ArcSoft Videoimpression 2.0 (this came with the camera, installed and working perfectly)

ManyCam 2.4 - works perfectly with the aforementioned USB camera and Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi!
My list:

AOL Pagetest

ArcSoft Video Downloader

FreePicGrabber

Mil Shield

IE DownloadHelper

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Orbit Downloader

Reaction score
Hey!
I´m new around here :)

Good list!! Thanks for sharing. Below is my humble contribution.

Power Archiver 2010
From publisher:
Brand new ZIP, ZIPX engine (multicore optimized) with the best format support
Professional version with Backup/FTP/Burner/Virtual Drive
Superior interface with Ribbon style and Classic toolbar options as well as full Windows 7 support
Help & Manual
From publisher:
Help & Manual 5 is a single-source help authoring and content management system for both single and multi-author editing.
Edraw Flowchart
From publisher:
Create flowcharts and business charts with minimum time loss with examples and templates. This tool comes with support for basic flowcharts, org charts, business charts, hr diagrams, work flowcharts, programming flowcharts and network design diagrams.
Scanahand
From publisher:
It's never been easier for Windows users to make their own custom fonts. Scanahand creates fonts that you can use in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Notepad, and any Windows application. You can even load your fonts on Macintosh computers. As more web browsers support webfonts, you can also use your fonts in websites!
Button Shop
From publisher:
This powerful tool includes everything you need to perfect your home page. It comes jam-packed with more than 200 professionally designed button templates and textures, that you can play with, tweak and modify to suit your own needs.
Email Sender Deluxe
From Publisher:
With Email Sender Deluxe, sending out personalized bulk email and newsletters to your customers and clients just got a whole lot easier! Simply choose your recipients, write your email and hit Send! You can easily import recipients from databases, Excel, text files or enter them manually.
Password Manager Deluxe
From Publisher:
Don't rely on unsecure post-it notes or text files to store your private information! Criminals are everywhere, and today, it is more important than ever to keep sensitive information safe. Password Manager Deluxe provides that safety in one easy solution!
Twistpad
From Publisher:
Twistpad is a fully featured text and code editor for Windows. Twistpad can be used as a simple notepad replacer, or a featured packed editor targeting web and software developers.
For anyone interested, here is the Windows 7 Application Compatibility List for IT Professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question