Windows 7 Aero

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess nobody can be immune to Windows problems :(
I've installed Windows 7 Professionnal (32bit) inside a VirtualBox VM (on Mac). Got it to install, works fine, activated fine, installs software fine, etc.

BUT Aero doesn't work. I've installed the VirtualBox "drivers" (you know, "VirtualBox Guest Additions" thing), which should in theory enable aero, but it doesn't. Which is weird, since the rest of the "guest additions" work fine.

What could I do? Tried the regedit edit, but that didn't work. Windows tells me that the hardware is compatible, but needs drivers.

Wat.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Dumb question I'd imagine, but have you enabled 3D acceleration?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but could it have anything to do with the amount of RAM you've allocated to the VM? I know mine doesn't work with 1GB 'allocated'.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Try VMWare Fusion, it should have better support for Aero and graphics acceleration.

Reaction score
No Basic

Make sure when installing the Guest Additions for DirectX answer the question correctly. (Don't choose default. Choose NO! you do not want basic (and yes you want the expiremental DirectX drivers)

Ask a Question