Win7 won't allow print from old H-P Laserjet 6P

Reaction score
Thanks all thus far but no joy. The error is as quoted trainableman:
"A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing"

I have removed all other devices from the "devices and printers" group.

This is not a network printer , but directly connected via USB to the laptop.

As mentioned , all works well with the printer and my windows 7 machine , but when I connect it to my windows 7 64-bit machine it gives me greif.

Again thanks all this far.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This is from 2007, which is pre-W7, but Vista would have been out and should work the same so I suggest you give this a try ,,, HERE

Reaction score
thanks TrainableMan, I did as the link suggested and when I next tried to print... you guessed it. Same error "A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing" it will clear as always by using the trouble shooter but the problem persists. Cheers

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you checked, was there anything in C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS that you could delete?

Reaction score
Yes there was, I deleted it but didn't record the file name, and it isn't there now. I think it was a shockwave file? but wouldn't want to be on it. Sorry.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So when you were done the folder was empty and then you restarted the print spool? Because if the folder is not empty then it will not be successful.

And, no it shouldn't be shockwave, it should be a file for the printer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
HP 6p Will not Print using Windows 7

Derick,

My situation is the same as yours, except I'm using port: USB003 (don't know if that's correct). USB002 is dedicated to an HP color printer with no problems. I don't think the LPT ports are viable now with Win 7, but who am I to know. We're using USB cables now. However, I'm curious about which port to choose due to the printer end is parallel (tons of pins) and the laptop I have is USB (square). I, like you, have installed the driver again (Win 7 does not support it).

If you find a fix, please post it.

Thank you.

Reaction score
HP 6p won't print--doc in queue w/ "error printing"

Springflower10,
I'm wondering if the electronics inside the 6p are "dead." It will print from itself by pushing the "I" (info) button on top, but that's not the same as printing from a computer. This 6p printer always printed e-mail, PDF, internet docs, all Office programs forever until I moved the printer 1100 miles. Packed it carefully. It indeed worked on Win 7 when I installed Windows. I suppose I'm stubborn; I think this 6p will work (if I knew what to do next). I also tried those "fix it" places online. They will tell you all the drivers out of date, etc., and charge $30 plus. I don't really trust those sites anyway. If they can fix it, so can we! If you do use them to diagnose, delete them on the uninstall place.

As for the other issues people are having about deleting the "error-printing" note, log off and back on. It has always disappeared that way for me.

6p is definitely the Mystery Printer. It's the best laserjet HP ever made.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Chavela, both Derick & Springflower's posts are over 2 years old; I'm afraid if they didn't find a solution then they have likely replaced their printer with a newer model.

I don't have an answer, just generic stuff. Having the right driver is critical. It is also possible there is a registry problem, maybe create a new userid and see if it works from there - if so I would suspect the registry.

Good luck.

Reaction score
HP 6p Doesn't Print

Hi Trainable Man,
Thank you for your reply. I'm aware of the date being old, yet those people may read two years later (now) or someone else might have a clue (like you). Still have not solved the problem, and have the latest driver from HP. I really don't want to trash the 6p--I know it will work one day. If you think of something else, please let me know.

Ask a Question