Win7 won't allow print from old H-P Laserjet 6P

Reaction score
Since I changed over to Win7, I have been able to get almost and software and hardware to work.
One exception: My old H-P LaserJet 6P printer. I Found the printer driver in Win7 and "devices and printers" recognized it. Sending a job to the printer resulted in an error message. "Devices and printers" says "A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing" and declares the problem to be "fixed" (It ain't).
I was using the Centronics-to-PCI-25 and that didn't work. I installed a Parallel PCI Card and used a Centronics-to-USB and that didn't work with all varieties of file types. In both cases the port setting is LPT1. Print processor is set to "winprint" and default data type is "RAW (NT EMF 1.008)."
I ran troubleshooting from "Hardware and Devices" and got several error messages:
- PCI Serial Port doesn't have a driver - not fixed
- PCI Device doesn't have a driver - not fixed
- Hardware changes might not have been detected - Detected
Pressing buttons on the printer causes the standard H-P test page to print OK but sending files from the PC doesn't.
I have connected the printer back to the old computer with Win XP and it works fine. What can be the problem?
--Derick3 :mad:

Reaction score
Your printer driver could be corrupted. Try uninstalling all the printer drivers and re-installing.

Reaction score
I not only deleted my current driver, I purchased Driver Boost and went through the recommended procedures and still failed to correct the proble. The printer still doesn't work.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You might try uninstalling all printer drivers with Driver Sweeper and then power off your printer and do a reboot, then install your driver and wait for the prompt to turn-on the printer and see what happens then.

Are you connecting the printer's parallel port to the parallel port on the motherboard?

Does the motherboard have a parallel port and is that why your using a PCI card?

Give us more info please.

If you do have the parallels ports on the motherboard are you using the correct cable?
Driver Sweeper is a fast tool to remove driver leftovers from your system. It's very important to remove your drivers on a proper way, because driver leftovers can cause problems like stability and startup problems. You can use it if you want to update/remove drivers from your system. Driver Sweeper 2.6.0 features a lot of additional entries compared to the previous version and improves most removal methods.

To download Driver Sweeper, go to:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html

Download your Windows 7 drivers here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=14980〈=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25477

Reaction score
I have an exact issue with the HP printers, one is a fairy-good priced 'All-in-one' series, other is an economical HP printer. Both are under warranty-status. In my case, they both does not print any of web-sites, however other programs are all OK to print.

I attempted to 'live-chat' with a professional Live-site, however the HP did not allow me to connect.

My guess is that HP hastened to put on the market without a proper test whether the printers are working on Windows 7. I spent a whole afternoon over the weekend uninstalling and re-installing numerous times. Even I posted HP Forum two weeks ago, but up-to-date there is no single response from HP forum moderators.

Like you, both printers works perfectly fine with XP in all areas, i.e., web-sites, e-mails and all other programs.

Reaction score
My guess is that HP hastened to put on the market without a proper test whether the printers are working on Windows 7. I spent a whole afternoon over the weekend uninstalling and re-installing numerous times. Even I posted HP Forum two weeks ago, but up-to-date there is no single response from HP forum moderators.

Like you, both printers works perfectly fine with XP in all areas, i.e., web-sites, e-mails and all other programs.
I picked up a multi-function printer on sale the other day. New out of the box it refuses to install on my Win7 but happily installed on XP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well that's interesting!

We bought an Epson Workforce 610 All-In-One unit a few months ago and it installed and works like a champion on Windows 7.

HP is always having issues with their printers, why I don't know but to probably sell you another printer.

In my humble opinion, for ink jet printers and AIO units, Epson is the best. For monochrome or color laser I like Samsung.

I always see more issues with HP printers and their drivers than just about all other printers combined (personal conjecture and estimate on my part).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've also seen a lot of posts on this forum, as well as the Mint forum, in regard to HP's printers not working properly.

Nibs mentioned a couple of brands that's good, Kodak has worked well for me. Plus the inks are the cheapest of all of the brands, as well as it lasts a while. I can buy a twin pack (one B&W, one color) for $29. With the $10 Office Max card that I get almost every month, it becomes $21, after taxes. The previous printer that I had, a store brand color cartridge cost that much, and had to be replaced monthly, and printed like crap.

This printer (Kodak ESP3250) prints pictures just as good as the drug stores does, for less. Plus it copies & scans. Not bad, considering I got it on sale for $69 from Digital River. And I get updates for it almost on a monthly basis.

I don't want anymore of HP's products, period.

Cat

Reaction score
I've always been very happy with Canon. My 4yo Canon runs fine under Win7.

Some time ago we had (admittedly base model) Epson and found it to be quite noisy with only average print quality.However to be fair I've had little other experience with other Epson models.

How about Lexmark? I've never had one but I've heard they are good and so are Oki though they might only do laser.

Reaction score
Speaking of HP Laserjet 6P

I have a HP Laserjet 6P connected to an XP machine. For a long time, I didn't think Windows 7 would print to the 6P across a network. I know it is possible because somehow one of my Windows 7 64-bit machines is now printing to this printer.

Don't ask what allowed the driver install because I have not figured that one out yet for the other machine. The only thing I can think of is the added Wireless N card, that was installed in the machine which is now printing to the 6P.

Reaction score
I already downloaded Driver Boost and performed all the suggestions they made. Printer still won't work but I am still exploring all possibilities.
Derick3

Reaction score
If you are having a problem with a NEW printer, what hope is there for me with an old one.

Reaction score
I want desparately to get by with the 6P and avoid buying a new printer. If necessary, I'll hook it up to my old computer (XP) and transfer the data to be printed, via a zip drive until I can get it to work on my Win7 computer.

Reaction score
Like you, I have had bad experiences with H-P tech support. Their products are OK but I don't want to go through the grief of having to contact them for help. In this instance, I didn't want to waste my time trying to get a fix from them. I am also a last-time buyer of H-P stuff.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
HP's support is crap, to put it mildly. I setup a dual boot of Windows 7, the other (Ulitmate) was 64 bit, just like the OEM partition is.

Well, I downloaded all of the factory drivers that were listed for my computer from HP's site, there were about 10 or so. Only two worked, the networking drivers. I just don't get it. Win 7 64 bit, whether Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate, should use the same drivers in a dual boot setup. I had to lookup the sites for each part, and download the latest driver that I could find.

Also, I couldn't install HP Update on that second partition. On my OEM partition, I get regular hardware updates. I mean, Win 7 64 bit is just that, I don't see why I had to lookup every driver for my system. On my Dell notebook, the same drivers covers both XP (all versions except 64 bit) and Win 2K.

And to make matters worse, HP's tech service was too cheap to replace my defective mouse. It was sticking, causing double clicks often, and their tech, with my permission, remotely took over my computer to "fix" it. The "repair" lasted every bit of 3 days, I just said screw them, and bought a Logitech business mouse (B100) that was on sale at Newegg.

I would rather buy from Dell before I take another chance with HP. At least I have no trouble finding drivers for their products.

My next desktop will be home built, and my next notebook will be a Toshiba.

Cat

Reaction score
Hi Derick3 so did you manage to get this resolved.

I purchased a new Asus Windows 7, 64 bit machine and when trying to connect my HP printer ( a multi funcion device ) had the same issue as you with the printer jobs failing because there was error which the trouble shooter advise was caused when ... "A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing" trouble shooter fixes the issue by clearing the print job. But this happens on every print request. Thinking the printer was past it's date I then purchased an Epson. Same problem.

I then reset the computer back to factory settings (wiped everthing) and tried to re-install the printer drivers ... still no go.

I have another pc running windows 7 and the printer works fine, on it (also an Asus) but all support providers are unable to assist. Any suggestions would be apprecited.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Tazzy please specify the product number of your HP printer so we can be sure you have tried the latest 64-bit driver for it.

You might also look over this Microsoft Link and try their troubleshooter, Microsoft Fix it.

Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan but still no luck. The HP was discarded and passed to a friend when the new Windows 7 64bit wouldn't allow it to work properly and there wasn't a new driver. The latest printer an Epson TX120 has the same problem. I have tried the suggestions above and windows didn't find a problem. All drivers are up to date and there are no further updates available from microsoft. ( their trouble shooter didn't fix it either). What would happen if I put the back up disc from my standard 7 laptop into the 64bit machine????

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you got a new printer and installed the 64-bit drivers for it and it is showing up in device manager as OK but you get the error message "A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing" whenever you try to print anything? Please confirm this is the exact problem.

If that is the case, then for starters you need to check the print queues. Go to control panel ... devices and printers. How may printers are shown? Right-click on one and select "see what's printing" (start with the HP if it is still there). Are there any documents in the queue? Right-click on an empty spot in that document queue window and choose "cancel all documents". Do this for all printers until the queues are empty. Then go back to the main devices and printers window and delete any printers you no longer use (right-click ... remove device). Finally right-click on the Epson and make sure it is "Set as default printer". Now reboot. Try to print to the Epson.

Reaction score
There is Windows 7 64-Bit driver support for HP Laserjet 6P. While setting up the printer select windows update to refresh the list of printers. The HP Laserjet 6P will not show in the list until after you select windows update. It took me awhile to figure this on out.

If printing from a networked computer, you must first install the drivers as if the computer is directly connected first. If you don't Windows 7 will not find the drivers needed (I only know this to be true if the printer is connnected to a Windows XP machine). The printer doesn't have to be directly connected just install the drivers as if the printer is. Once Windows 7 has the correct drivers, you can install the printer correctly for printing on a networked printer. Once the printer has been correctly setup as a network printer, the local printer that was setup initially can be removed.

I'm sorry I didn't post earlier as I've just now seen the thread re-opened. Here is a thread I started back in March when I figured out what I was doing wrong, Having trouble installing a printer, Read This. Maybe I should sticky the thread for easy access for anyone with printer problems. Who knows how many older printers can still be used by updating the printer list via windows update during printer setup.

Ask a Question