Win 7 Pro, Explorer shows but cannot trace ZERO Byte folder whichI want to delete


G

Gene E. Bloch

In message <qTsLt.68834$i03.29572@fx03.am4>, choro <choro@tvco.net>
writes:
[]
rd from the command prompt did not work either because, I guess, there
is nothing there to remove.
[]
Does dir from the command prompt show it is there? (Possibly including
the switch [to dir] to show system and hidden files, or previously
running [I think this is right]
attrib *.* -r -s
first.)
I was going to suggest something else, so I'll piggyback here.

Run

dir /X

to see the 8.3 file names and try to delete it using the name that is
revealed.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

J. P. Gilliver (John)

choro <choro@tvco.net> said:
Linux to the rescue!
[ B I I G S N I P!!!]
Found an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD which did the job. After deleting the []
Got Win 7 Pro running now and noticed it sitting in the Recycle bin
which I have duly emptied. --
choro
*****
So Linux knows about Windows' recycle bin; I'm impressed!
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

And in that bloodieth of centuries, the 20th, [US researcher Matthew White]
says, more than 95 per cent of all deaths were from natural causes. Andrew
Marr in RT 22-28 September 2012
 
J

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Gene E. Bloch said:
In message <qTsLt.68834$i03.29572@fx03.am4>, choro <choro@tvco.net>
writes:
[]
rd from the command prompt did not work either because, I guess, there
is nothing there to remove.
[]
Does dir from the command prompt show it is there? (Possibly including
the switch [to dir] to show system and hidden files, or previously
running [I think this is right]
attrib *.* -r -s
first.)
I was going to suggest something else, so I'll piggyback here.

Run

dir /X

to see the 8.3 file names and try to delete it using the name that is
revealed.
Ah, I didn't know about /X. I would have suggested using the 8.3 name
too, if I had known how to get it.

It used to be shown under properties (of a file), but they took that out
in the move from '9x to XP (or possibly FAT32 to NTFS).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

And in that bloodieth of centuries, the 20th, [US researcher Matthew White]
says, more than 95 per cent of all deaths were from natural causes. Andrew
Marr in RT 22-28 September 2012
 
W

WayPoint

Tried Safe Start and it shows up there too but is NOT there!!! So it
cannot be deleted.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...



lol .. sorry I couldn't help myself :)
Your dilemma must be frustrating - good luck
 
C

choro

Linux to the rescue!
[ B I I G S N I P!!!]
Found an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD which did the job. After deleting the []
Got Win 7 Pro running now and noticed it sitting in the Recycle bin
which I have duly emptied. --
choro
*****
So Linux knows about Windows' recycle bin; I'm impressed!
So was I as the Live CD version of Ubuntu said it could not move it to
the Recycle bin and did I want it completely deleted to which I clicked
Yes. But to my surprise when I started Win 7, I saw the "Copy of" folder
sitting in my Recycle Bin. Naturally I carried out its "execution" of
the said file by the firing squad with a relish!
 
C

choro

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...



lol .. sorry I couldn't help myself :)
Your dilemma must be frustrating - good luck
The opposite is true when you dream of a lovely lass and you wake up to
realize that it was only a dream from which you woke up just a wee bit
too soon! I remember once seeing, in my dream of course, a lovely woman
lying in bed under a creamy undulating satin sheet with all the contours
of her body showing. But I would wake up before getting into any
mischief, wouldn't I?!!! That was my worst and my best awakening!!! --
choro
*****
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

WayPoint

On 05/08/2013 07:37, WayPoint wrote:

The opposite is true when you dream of a lovely lass and you wake up to
realize that it was only a dream from which you woke up just a wee bit
too soon! I remember once seeing, in my dream of course, a lovely woman
lying in bed under a creamy undulating satin sheet with all the contours
of her body showing. But I would wake up before getting into any
mischief, wouldn't I?!!! That was my worst and my best awakening!!! --
choro
*****
It is indeed - I can relate to that. :)

cheers choro - it looks like you got the beastie sorted.


(sorry I have to cut a lot when replying - my ISP doesn't like replies
longer the x - where x is a fairly small number)
 
E

Ed Cryer

J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
Linux to the rescue!
[ B I I G S N I P!!!]
Found an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD which did the job. After deleting the []
Got Win 7 Pro running now and noticed it sitting in the Recycle bin
which I have duly emptied. --
choro
*****
So Linux knows about Windows' recycle bin; I'm impressed!
Yes, me too. I'd bet even you couldn't reproduce that!

Ed
 
P

Paul

Ed said:
J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
choro <choro@tvco.net> said:
Linux to the rescue!
[ B I I G S N I P!!!]
Found an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD which did the job. After deleting the []
Got Win 7 Pro running now and noticed it sitting in the Recycle bin
which I have duly emptied. --
choro
*****
So Linux knows about Windows' recycle bin; I'm impressed!
Yes, me too. I'd bet even you couldn't reproduce that!

Ed
I've had many trash bins on my partitions here.

But I don't remember them ever being shared by the OSes.

$Recycle.Bin
..Trash-999
RECYCLER
Recycle.Bin.BIN
Recycled

Paul
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Ah, I didn't know about /X. I would have suggested using the 8.3 name
too, if I had known how to get it.
Well, don't feel too bad - I *did* have to run dir /? to see how to do
it :)

Isn't it amazing that you can forget how something is done five or more
years after the only time you did it?
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn¢t there
He wasn¢t there again today
I wish, I wish he¢d go away...
There's a local station that plays only big band era music; they play
that song from time to time, but they don't announce their songs, so I
don't know who the very nice singer is...
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Ed Cryer

Paul said:
Ed said:
J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
In message <CuALt.72755$%G1.4129@fx36.am4>, choro <choro@tvco.net>
writes:
Linux to the rescue!

[ B I I G S N I P!!!]

Found an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD which did the job. After deleting the
[]
Got Win 7 Pro running now and noticed it sitting in the Recycle bin
which I have duly emptied. --
choro
*****
So Linux knows about Windows' recycle bin; I'm impressed!
Yes, me too. I'd bet even you couldn't reproduce that!

Ed
I've had many trash bins on my partitions here.

But I don't remember them ever being shared by the OSes.

$Recycle.Bin
.Trash-999
RECYCLER
Recycle.Bin.BIN
Recycled

Paul
Me neither; and most especially using an OS that boots from disk.
Linux live CDs use temporary working space, and remove it all when they
close down.

Ed
 
E

Ed Cryer

Ed said:
Paul said:
Ed said:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message <CuALt.72755$%G1.4129@fx36.am4>, choro <choro@tvco.net>
writes:
Linux to the rescue!

[ B I I G S N I P!!!]

Found an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD which did the job. After deleting the
[]
Got Win 7 Pro running now and noticed it sitting in the Recycle bin
which I have duly emptied. --
choro
*****
So Linux knows about Windows' recycle bin; I'm impressed!

Yes, me too. I'd bet even you couldn't reproduce that!

Ed
I've had many trash bins on my partitions here.

But I don't remember them ever being shared by the OSes.

$Recycle.Bin
.Trash-999
RECYCLER
Recycle.Bin.BIN
Recycled

Paul
Me neither; and most especially using an OS that boots from disk.
Linux live CDs use temporary working space, and remove it all when they
close down.

Ed
A bit of thought, and all I can think of is this using a Linux CD;
cut it and paste it into $Recycle.Bin.

Do you reckon that would work?

Ed
 
W

WayPoint

There's a local station that plays only big band era music; they play
that song from time to time, but they don't announce their songs, so I
don't know who the very nice singer is...
I didn't realise that they had put that verse to music. I'll have to go
find it somewhere.

Unfortunately many radio stations don't "back annouce" ie: list all the
songs/music they have just played. Becomes very annoying when you've
heard something nice & end up not finding out what it was.

My wife & myself did a live-to-air radio request show with our community
access radio. Back announcing was a mandatory thing for us.

Graham
 
P

Paul

Ed said:
Ed said:
Paul said:
Ed Cryer wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message <CuALt.72755$%G1.4129@fx36.am4>, choro <choro@tvco.net>
writes:
Linux to the rescue!

[ B I I G S N I P!!!]

Found an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD which did the job. After deleting the
[]
Got Win 7 Pro running now and noticed it sitting in the Recycle bin
which I have duly emptied. --
choro
*****
So Linux knows about Windows' recycle bin; I'm impressed!

Yes, me too. I'd bet even you couldn't reproduce that!

Ed


I've had many trash bins on my partitions here.

But I don't remember them ever being shared by the OSes.

$Recycle.Bin
.Trash-999
RECYCLER
Recycle.Bin.BIN
Recycled

Paul
Me neither; and most especially using an OS that boots from disk.
Linux live CDs use temporary working space, and remove it all when they
close down.

Ed
A bit of thought, and all I can think of is this using a Linux CD;
cut it and paste it into $Recycle.Bin.

Do you reckon that would work?

Ed
Sure, if you explicitly dump it into one of the "other" bins,
that's bound to work.

I've never even bothered to look in
those, to see what's collecting :)

Paul
 
W

WayPoint

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:22:04 +1000, WayPoint wrote:


This one also doesn't forward announce...

They do have a web site with a useable playlist, as you can see from
above, but I usually listen to them only in my car, and I have chosen
not to log on while driving. I guess I'm just a wimp :)
Best not to log-on when driving - distraction etc ... :)
In Australia it is quite illegal to talk/text on a mobile phone, the
local gendarme will happily write you a ticket plus take around 10
points off your drivers licence. they're no fun :)
I listen to Folkradio.hu at home sometimes. They have a workable web
site, and they make an English page available. My home receiver receives
the web stream, but not the web page, but that's why there are cell
phones :)
Thank you - I'll look into that.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gene E. Bloch

Best not to log-on when driving - distraction etc ... :)
In Australia it is quite illegal to talk/text on a mobile phone, the
local gendarme will happily write you a ticket plus take around 10
points off your drivers licence. they're no fun :)
Similar in California, but it varies from state to stae and I don't know
the details.
Thank you - I'll look into that.
I should warn you - they play real Hungarian folk dance music, plus
frequent forays into Romanian, and a little bit of Serbian and Croatian
stuff as well.

I love that stuff, but YMMV :)
 
M

Monty

Artist: Glenn Miller v Tex Beneke Title: The Little Man Who Wasn't There
[7-12-1939]

I'm not sure it's the track I had in mind, since Tex Beneke is not a
female...
Could the singer be Mildred Bailey ? I think she recorded it with the
Glen Miller band.
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Artist: Glenn Miller v Tex Beneke Title: The Little Man Who Wasn't There
[7-12-1939]

I'm not sure it's the track I had in mind, since Tex Beneke is not a
female...
Could the singer be Mildred Bailey ? I think she recorded it with the
Glen Miller band.
Thanks - I'll try to figure it out (but not just this minute).

I really like the record in question, so I wouldn't mind knowing.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <ktnoi7$pkv$2@speranza.aioe.org>, WayPoint
(sorry I have to cut a lot when replying - my ISP doesn't like replies
longer the x - where x is a fairly small number)
What a great ISP! I didn't think there were any left like that.

(Or is it just an overall size limit, rather than a
percentage-quoted-to-new limit?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about
how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not
beautiful, I know it is wrong.
-R. Buckminster Fuller, engineer, designer, and architect (1895-1983)
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top