Win 7 Pro 64 ~ taking too long to open programs, white screen, etc.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Out of interest, did removing the root kit resolve your problem?

In regards to the SSD. Yes, it is new technology, and fine if you have one of the latest motherboards. But SSD's can be very odd sometimes in regards to reliability.
Putting SSD's in laptops is a good idea as spinning drives don't like to be bumped around.

To be very honest though, once you have a root kit, I personally wouldn't trust the installed Windows after that.
My personal advice would be to save your data some where and then format and re-install.
But, download ALL the drivers first so that you have got quick access to getting your PC up and running again.
Try not to use the internet until you have Win 7 SP1, all drivers, AV & Anti-Malware installed.

Hope this helps.

Shintaro

Reaction score
About the TDSS file system, It is apparently garbage left over from past infection. It can be removed.

Reaction score
Shintaro, Still having problems. I am going to do a root scan in safe mode. Ouch! reinstalling windows is giving me a headache just thinking about it. Did the minidump files I sent you yield any suspicions, or didn't they come out ok on the .Rar?

On an average, how long should it take to load Windows up and get to the desktop opening? I seriously thought the next time I would format and re-install Windows would be when i could buy a new mobo,and a Intel i7, or at the very least, an i5, with new DDR3 Ram, but...:eek:

I was looking at my programs and found a TheBflix listed under programs. I went to Control panel/programs, and it was not there.

Then I tried to go into C:\ Program files, and it's not listed. I went to Startup menu, and tried to delete it, it would not.

Before I go into my Registry files and try to delete it, could this be a virus? I don't remember ever installing it.

Is this safe, or a threat?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I Googled TheBflix and found nothing.So it is definitely not a software available on the Internet,So there is a chance it may be a virus.
compare the install date of TheBflix with others to check if it was installed by another software as a plug-in or something like that

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The OP posted "T h e B f l i x", not "T h e B f i x" and I do get a few matches, one of which mentions that it keeps popping up in their browser which definitely sounds like a potential virus-like program.

As for finding it in Program Files. Your program files directory is considered a system folder. To view it open Explorer and go to Organize ... Folder and Search options ... View Tab and select "show hidden files, folders, and drives". You might be able to see the Bflix folder then.

TheBflix may very well be part of a rootkit which has infected your computer. A root kit is a powerful virus that gets into your system and hides the fact it is running so A/V programs (when I use A/V in this context I mean Anti-virus) cannot detect it and remove it.

Hopefully TDSKiller stops the root kit on your machine. So once the Rootkit is disabled then, without rebooting, you must run a complete anti-virus scan, maybe two; otherwise the rootkit might be reloaded on the next boot up by its' back-up protection.

And because a rootkit is so powerful and tricky, I would actually run more than one anti-virus program. So run MSE if that's what you have, and also run McAfee or Malwarebyte's Anti-malware.

The problem is the rootkit may be so well embedded that it still comes back after you reboot, so you may have to do this more than once. Like someone mentioned, once your machine has been infected with a rootkit, usually the best and safest thing to do is to back up all your data, format the hard drive, and do a complete reinstall of W7, and the reinstall all your programs and restore your data. And then run another virus scan on the restored data to make sure the rootkit isn't hidden in there.

Rootkits are nasty nasty viruses. Very persistent and super stealthy. You think it's gone and after a couple reboots it is back.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I also vote for the reinstall. Save all your personal data and go for it. Look how much time has been spent already. It's good that you tried but the bottom line is you have an extremely infected machine that may be a menace to others. Do the right thing.

Reaction score
Do all the scanning and removal of the rootkit in safe mode otherwise it will come back in the next reboot. But reinstalling windows is the best option

Reaction score
Thank all for your replies!!!!

I'd like to mention a few things in way of crashes, I have seen lot of ADOBE FLASH PLUG-IN Crashes. I've uninstalled and downloaded a few Adobe Flash programs.
Also, I choose NOT to use Internet Explorer, but instead Mozilla Firefox, and although it is the most current browser, it also has been crashing, and prompts me to send a crash report, but as many times as this has happened, well, I stopped sending them....it doesn't help me with MY problem anyway.

And one more thing is java. I got this message "Unresponsive Script Chrome//SAFF/Content/SAFFplg.JS:632.".....I don't even use chrome.
AND....
Java script App. EXE in EV handl: Error:badNPobject as private data." then I see OK.

So Firefox,Java Script, and Adobe Flash, have been been crashing recently. I don't know what is the normal starting time from the moment you POWER UP, to the moment you see the Desktop, but for me, it's about three minutes or more.

Also, from the desktop, when I click on the Firefox desktop icon, it takes about 20 to 30 seconds for the browser to actually open. Sometimes I have to go to the Startup program and click on it from there, becuz the shortcut icon doesn't work most times.
So........ Can all of the above be related to this rootkit virus, IF, I even have it? I'm not actually sure what I have that causing this slowdown, and unresponsiveness, or is this just the 'status quo' for Windows7 O.S.?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Short answer ... yes, the rootkit can be the cause. Rootkits are major, major problems on a computer.

Gather your data and then format and install.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I am sorry to say this mate, but you really need to save your data on another device and do a format and re-install.
You simply cannot trust the system after a rootkit has been found.

Sorry.

Reaction score
After reinstall restore only the data you trust and immediately do a scan on the backup files for infections

Reaction score
YES, I THINK THAT'S IN THE CARDS.
I rebooted in safe mode, turned off all Antivirus and Firewall (windows and ATT) software, and ran another TDSKiller Utility. It founjd Nothing. Then I downloaded Malwarebytes,updated online, restarted in SAFE MODE and ran a FULL scan. After an hour and a half, it found 20 malicious problems. All 20 were "PUP.BFlix". 8 were found in the registry keys, 10 found in Files, and 2 were found in Folders.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just out of interest, what do you think caused you to get infected by the root kit?
That's if you want to tell us, of course.

Reaction score
Hi,
Well, if this is a virus, I certainly don't know how I would get it. I try to be careful. I don't click on email from persons I do not know. I do get mail from known addresses, but the subject line right away is suspicious, so I know it's a hack job. All this hanging, and unresponsiveness might be totally something else.

I disabled Firewall and Virus protection, I went into Safe mode, and ran ATT's McAfee's Full Security scan,
TDSKiller Scan on all parameters,and
downloaded and ran a FULL scan with Malwarebytes. of all three, this time, I did not find anything at all.

Earlier as in my last post, I ran malwarebytes and it found 20 "PUP.BFlix" viruses. 8in registry keys, 10 in Files, and 2 in Folders.

Those Minidump files I sent you in a PM, did you find anything? Thank you!

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,
Those minidumps back in post #10 is what told me you had a root kit.

What else were you looking for?

Reaction score
ok, thanks.
So now we know for sure (minidumps) seen evidence of a root virus. So if I have one, why would anyone still try to remove them with TTDKiller or Malwarebytes, when the right thing to do would be a reformat and reinstall windows?

How does one get a root virus anyway? Is there one particular source on the internet? Can they invade documents, and music files?

On a different note, My 80GB Classic ipod no longer is detected by MY COMPUTER, or DEVICES. My USB devices all work except for this ipod. Does this virus cause problems in hardware too?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Because it is an attempt to prevent further infection and to try and return control back to the user. So that you can get your data off to another storage device and re-install.

There are many steps to protecting your computer, such as never using an account with administrator rights on the internet, keeping ALL software up to date, scanning with Anti-Virus and malware frequently and a good firewall. Just to name a few.

Root kits patch and therefore corrupt binaries (Typically Windows System Files) to hide what they are doing. That is why you need to re-install. Some rootkits can affect BIOS, but I haven't seen that for a while.

Reaction score
This is SOO CRAZY. It's getting worse.

After I boot up, I see this black screen, not blue, and the circle keeps going round and round for about 4 minutes, then I get the "STARTING WINDOWS" that seems to go on into infinity, maybe another four to five minutes, then I finally get the "WELCOME" screen which goes for another four to five minutes, then I miraculously get the desktop, Whew! All is good, so far......BUT when I click on a program, it does not do anything, NADA!, and this takes about four minutes before this program finally opens up!!! Very FRUSTRATED! And this is all AFTER I spent about 45 minutes trying to get out of SAFE MODE and to start windows normally.

Reformat it is!

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
You now know how crazy and frustrating rootkits are. That's why we say as soon as you can format and re-install.

Reaction score
If you have not reinstalled windows 7 yet,Creating a new user account as administrator might help you.

Ask a Question