Win 7 64bit Home prem freezing

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had this problem from when I bought my computer (small shop who custom builds computers, have took it back to the shop but they can't find any problems and thinks it's Windows somehow). The problem is whenever I played a game called Europa Universalis 3 sooner or late the game would freeze. Every now and then being on Firefox would cause the computer to freeze but not enough to be bothered by it. Now it's happening more, it just froze now while on a different game and again on Firefox (which has prompted me to find a solution). I've posted on the EU3 forums and the guys there said (after doing what they said) the computer isn't overheating, isn't direct X, hasn't got bad memory, it isn't the game. One guy recommended a motherboard update but said you really need to know what you are doing.

My motherboard is asus P7H55-M-LX version 0303. I've found a new version 0402. I've found a utility on the asus disk called asus update but it doesn't connect to the server. There is however a more recent asus update available on the asus website. Is it straight forward enough to update the motherboard with that utility? Would you guys recommend I do that or can you think of anything else I can do?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like you are referring to a BIOS update. Most BIOS updates work just fine but if the power should fail or you use the wrong update for your board then you can "brick" the board; meaning all it's good for is a brick paperweight.

It is best to make sure you have your computer attached to a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) so that if the power goes out your battery back-up will allow the operation to complete. It's also usually recommended, given a choice, to use an update outside of windows but a lot of times only windows versions are available.

I've used windows BIOS updaters and done the update w/o a UPS (in the past before I owned one) and I've never had a problem; I hope it stays that way but not everyone is as lucky.

With a windows updater it is generally "Do you want to update to BIOS x.xx.x?" Yes ... Done. But read the instructions and you see if it seems straight-forward to you.

Besides the BIOS update you should be sure you are on the most current video driver for your machine.

And also try in Control Panel ... power Options using "High Performance".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Registry on your Windows 7 64-bit operating computer is the place where all the information regarding the functioning of the system are stored and accessed. As registry entries are created automatically, they might become very large in numbers and clash with other entries. Such clashes might also cause system freezing. This issue can be resolved by cleaning the registry of the system using a good registry cleaning software such as RegCure.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cleaning the registry probably couldn't hurt, but here we recommend CCleaner because it is safe and FREE (RegCure is a paid product). Links to CCleaner can be found in out Freeware DB.

Ask a Question