Why have I received this?

Reaction score
This is the content of an e mail that I received this morning. Need less to say, I am very puzzled.

edit (Ian) - Just to clarify from those who haven't read the whole thread, that this e-mail came from another Windows 7 forum.

TO ALL REGISTERED USERS:

Windows 7 Forums has unfortunately encountered a major hardware failure which required a massive recovery of the data and information that powers the website. Due to this outage, the forums will be unavailable until the website is moved to a fortified datacenter with uptime and management guarentees. This move is already in the process of taking place.

At present time, the forum data is being preserved and sorted out, in order to best serve our site visitors once we return. The data was nearly completely lost, but has, in fact, at this time, been fully recovered. Due to these unforseen difficulties, a decision has been immediately been made to move the site to a fortified datacenter.

The datacenter is managed 24/7/365 days a year and contains security, alarm systems, CCTV archived video, and 32 rotary power systems with N+2 redundancy for power backup. The site contains over 17,280 tons of cooling, laser based early smoke detection, and a dual sprinkler system. The facility is monitored at over 8,000 points on-site and contains NARC/Data Trax-Forseer monitoring system. This will provide maximum uptime with a massive support guarentee from our dedicated server provider.

Please be patient and the site will return, more powerful and able to handle more traffic than ever before.

Update 1/15/2010 8:04 PM ET: "The data is still being moved off the server, which is on the verge of complete meltdown. Once the data is moved off, it will be preserved, as simultaneously the datacenter system is being prepared. We expect this transition to be ready to take place no later than Monday. Long time and active members: Please understand that the current server is on the verge of total meltdown and cannot be used. It may crash at any given time, hence the website must stay offline until the data can be moved to a fortified facility! Premium Supporters will be credited for all time lost due to this incident."

Reaction score
Reads like a SPAM email....

I haven't received anything from admin - what userCP email settings do you have setup ? Admin only contact or Anyone ?
Website is up and running so just ignore it - if a worry contact admin or one of the moderators.

Reaction score
Reads like a SPAM email....

I haven't received anything from admin - what userCP email settings do you have setup ? Admin only contact or Anyone ?
Website is up and running so just ignore it - if a worry contact admin or one of the moderators.
What setting do you mean? I am not at all worried, just extremely puzzled. Maybe an administrator can advise as to whether my setting are OK or not. I have looked at my settings and don't have a clue as to what, if anything can be wrong.

Reaction score
By the way, I still have the e mail on my computer, and can forward it if requested, maybe it is possible trace the source.

Reaction score
Can you forward it to me, please? My email is thracks[AT]gmail[DOT]com.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You are in the wrong site M8. You are obviously a registered user of another site which has been having ongoing Software/hardware problems for some months. I am a member of the site also.
It is no mystery. The site address is easily read from the Admins Email at the top.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Ah, yes, everything is clear now:

http://windows7forums.com/forum.php

This site sent the email. It has the same name as our website here, but the .com is different; it's really just a confusion in names. W7forums.com and Windows7forums.com are separate, unaffiliated and/or unassociated websites; it just so happens we share a common trade name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
What setting do you mean?
Click on 'User CP' then see Settings & Options (side menu) and click Edit Options

Messaging & Notification section shows who can email you - Admin Only or any registered member.

Reaction score
Ah, yes, everything is clear now:

http://windows7forums.com/forum.php

This site sent the email. It has the same name as our website here, but the .com is different; it's really just a confusion in names. W7forums.com and Windows7forums.com are separate, unaffiliated and/or unassociated websites; it just so happens we share a common trade name.
No need to forward it then now.:)

Reaction score
Click on 'User CP' then see Settings & Options (side menu) and click Edit Options

Messaging & Notification section shows who can email you - Admin Only or any registered member.
Any registered member.:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Dave and Thrax have hit the nail on the head, this e-mail came from another Windows 7 website. :)

As far as I remember, there has only been 1 or 2 global e-mails sent from this site which were when the Beta and RC versions of Windows 7 were available for download. We've also been fortunate in that we've had next to no downtime in the 1.5 years that W7forums has been online.

Ask a Question