SOLVED Which is better Advanced Uninstaller Pro or Revo-Unstaller Pro for Windows 7 x64 ?

Reaction score
There's also the issue when using freeware, that you get what you paid for. Namely unnecessary bloat (i/e:browser toolbars and adware), where as software you purchase alot of time's avoids both and has extra abilities, like auto updating itself.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
There's also the issue when using freeware, that you get what you paid for. Namely unnecessary bloat (i/e:browser toolbars and adware), where as software you purchase alot of time's avoids both and has extra abilities, like auto updating itself.
You are correct there on that one! Of course I do understand why some of the developers of the free software do that, so that they may recoup any expense, if any plus put a few extra clams their pockets.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Another reason you should manually scan every thing you download. Most, but not all, freeware does have some type of adware, or wants you to install a toolbar, which I despise. We have enough toolbars already, w/o a free app adding another.

But in most of these apps, you have the option to refuse these options. Lately, Piriform apps (CCleaner, Speccy, Recuva) wants to install either Google Chrome browser, or Google's toolbar. There's a box to uncheck these options.

While in general you get what you pay for, some freeware apps are good ones, we now have a few good backup programs that we didn't have in the past, as well as a few good AV products.

That being said, with uninstallers, the best of the lot are the paid ones. I haven't paid for one, but I use trials of paid ones when I need it. Next time I need one, I'll have to give Advanced Uninstaller Pro & Your Uninstaller Pro a chance. No need to pay for what you don't have to.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just tried downloading Your Uninstaller (trial version), ESET flagged it & aborted the connection (I have it configured to abort upon threat).

There was a PART file of the uncompleted download in the folder, I rescanned it with ESET, it showed as infected. Mabye it's harmless, but that's what I pay for a AV for, to protect my computers.

The threat was reported as "Win32/Toolbar.Zugo", from this link.

http://www.ursoftware.com/downloadfile.php?email=your+email&productid=YU2010

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It's safe! You're just seeing what's known as a false positive.

I'm using F-Secure and it wasn't flagged at all. The same with BitDefender on another computer here at the house and the same with Avira on a different computer here.

So for my money, I'm trusting 3 out of 4 that states no problems.

Reaction score
Cat. I don't think it was Eset. When I went to the website using Opera and clicked down;oad instead of buy now, absolutely nothing downloaded. I later clicked by now purchased it and downloaded it. I then had to open there email to enter the product key. I didn't see any trial versions on there website and I visited there site 4 or 5 times before I purchased it. I also have McAfee Site Advisor and a new G Data plugin that checks site's. I do know since using the G Data plugin that it does the same thing as Norton Internet Security 2011 does. It block's all bad site's.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am not familiar with MyUninstaller but I do know Revo Uninstaller also runs the standard system uninstall, it simply runs additional scans after that completes to see if anything else was left that can also be removed.

I am not in the habit of constantly testing software so therefore I do not remove much software. When I do, I use Revo if I remember because it finds extra things left in the registry and INIs or empty folders, etc in /program files/ over and above the system uninstall.

For anti-virus software I definitely recommend getting the AV companies removal tool as this type product can get "into" a lot of places normal programs wouldn't.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cat. I don't think it was Eset. When I went to the website using Opera and clicked down;oad instead of buy now, absolutely nothing downloaded. I later clicked by now purchased it and downloaded it. I then had to open there email to enter the product key. I didn't see any trial versions on there website and I visited there site 4 or 5 times before I purchased it. I also have McAfee Site Advisor and a new G Data plugin that checks site's. I do know since using the G Data plugin that it does the same thing as Norton Internet Security 2011 does. It block's all bad site's.
Yes it was ESET, too. It was in ESET's notification box about the details of the potential threat.

But sometimes, false positives do happen. By the description given, there may be a toolbar within the download, although many apps has toolbars inside of the download, and they don't get flagged.

And yes, there are trial versions of the program, as the link I provided was where the trial came from.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm glad I upgraded SUPERAntiSpyware free to lifetime Professional yesterday. Apparently the hack is exploiting hole's in Adbobe product's and Java to bypass Windows x64's protection system. Wondering if we should temporarily install Threatfire. I stopped using it a while agom as it seriously slowed my browsing down. My dsl is slow enough on it's own.
I got 2 SAS Professional (with lifetime updates) subscriptions last month (against your advice, you suggested Ad Muncher), it does a good job. I have it configured to update at startup & do a short scan.

It does a good job at finding tracking cookies & adware, and the best thing is, all that I need to do is start the computer for the scanning to begin.

SAS (& MBAM) are both excellent compliments to any AV/IS products. They find the leftovers that the AV misses.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
By the description given, there may be a toolbar within the download, although many apps has toolbars inside of the download, and they don't get flagged.
There was no toolbar or any other extraneous add-ons, just the install executable which downloaded, for me at least, with no issues or problems.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I wonder if it had to do with the site that it came from. I've confirmed that Win32/Toolbar.Zugo isn't a virus, but a toolbar, one that's hard to remove.

It was a trial version, mabye that had something to do with it. I'll ignore the warning, install it, and see what happens. Will create a restore point, just in case.

Cat

Reaction score
Hey Cat. Have you tried Ad-Muncher ? All it does is block's ad's, What you see on websites is Munched in text instead of the ad's. I've been using it since early 2007. I'm debating on whether to go with the for pay version of Malwarebyte's. I got SAS Professional Lifetime last night. With using Ad-Muncher SAS is basically the only one that ever find's anything. It's only a tracking cookie , when it does. Hey I also heard something neat on Friday, Microsoft has a wireless keyboard/mouse set. I can't remeber what they call it. It cost's $39.99 and the keyboard encrypts what you type, to block keylogger's stealing your information.

Reaction score
TrainableMan:Your Uninstaller Pro remove's all the leftover registry keys after the software is uninstalled. I've checked the registry after using it and the key's for the uninstalled app isn't in any of the software keys in the registry. I've been using Revo-Uninstaller Pro since last August when I switched to 64 bit. It leaves software keys in the registry while using it's moderate setting. That's exactly why I posted this thread. Ever since using R-U Pro , I always have to clean up what it was suppose to cleanup afterwards. The free version only removes 32 bit app's. I'm gald Nibs recommended it to me. It's terrific.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, I haven't tried Ad Muncher, but took a look at it. I already have 3 active security products, plus a trial version of the paid version of MBAM. ESET NOD32, SAS Pro w/lifetime updates & Windows Defender, plus using common since computing habits, is my security posture using Windows. SAS does finds trojans that some AV's misses. When I had MSE (the original version), it found a few of them.

When I want to take a chance & throw all cautions to the side, then I use Linux Mint, sometimes in virtual mode for quick access, but I have it installed on a HDD alone, too. Unless one is logged in as root (same as administrator in Windows), the OS won't get broken by a virus or other malware. While it's possible that the user may spread bad code, it won't affect the user's computer at all. I run Klam AV on it, as a manual scanner.

When NOD32 subscription expires, I'll go with ESET Smart Security, that will give me the firewall too.

I don't need a new keyboard at this time, the one that I have made by Logitech is still fairly new. But that's neat, one that'll encrypt what you type. There's encryption software on the market too, that protects what you do on the net. It's especially good for those with wireless routers.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
TrainableMan:Your Uninstaller Pro remove's all the leftover registry keys after the software is uninstalled. I've checked the registry after using it and the key's for the uninstalled app isn't in any of the software keys in the registry. I've been using Revo-Uninstaller Pro since last August when I switched to 64 bit. It leaves software keys in the registry while using it's moderate setting. That's exactly why I posted this thread. Ever since using R-U Pro , I always have to clean up what it was suppose to cleanup afterwards. The free version only removes 32 bit app's. I'm gald Nibs recommended it to me. It's terrific.
Personally, I felt that the free version of Revo done a far more aggressive cleaning than the Pro version does, but like you stated, it only removes 32 bit apps.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
With Revo (free ver) I use the deepest setting because you can always unselect anything you don't want it to delete and I have seen it offer up registry items.

I hadn't noticed the 32-bit limitation but it could explain why some things do not show up in it's list of installed programs. I had assumed it was because they used an older installer (windows has changed methods several times).

The truth is I don't uninstall enough that I would ever justify spending money for the added functionality; an avid app tester, on the other hand, might place great value on such a tool.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If one has a 32 bit Windows OS, then the free Revo Uninstaller is all that's needed. Using that deepest setting, it gets it all.

However, it's best to check out what's being deleted, it can get the wrong registry entry sometimes. But overall, it's safe to use.

Cat

Reaction score
Hey Cat you may want to take it for a ride. Security software doesn't block ad's showing up on website's, Ad-Muncher does and they update the list's daily.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm not bothered with ads, Adblock Plus does a outstanding job of that for me, and it's a free addon to Firefox.

You can also reduce your ads by using the 64 bit version of IE, if that's the browser you use.

Cat

Ask a Question