What is 'Windows.old' contains after installing f

Reaction score
Hi,

I am Kishore here. I was using Windows Vista till yesterday and last evening I have installed new OS 'Windows 7' in C drive.

Now in my C drive, I have 'Windows' folder and 'windows.old'. Here, I would like to know what is the 'windows.old' folder and can I remove that folder?

Please help me in this regard.

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
Kishore

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome!

Basicly, the Windows.old folder contains the remains of Windows Vista. You can explore it and you can also delete it.

You can delete it manually or you can run the Windows Disk Cleanup,

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes as FC stated, just go ahead and wipe from your hard drive.

Right click to send it the to Recycle Bin and then use CCleaner to permanently delete it and clean it out. Use the 1 wipe pass in the options on CCleaner, its a free program.

Then defrag your hard drive to tighten it all up again.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It can serve as a good reminder of third party programs, which you may have forgotten you had installed on Vista. Sometimes these standalones can be copied and pasted ove (certainly not always!) Have a quick lok through it, particularly the "program Files" folder, first. You might also find it useful to copy and paste your contacts and favorites acrossto the user - username folders. Email is another consideration, but will require some knowhow if you have been using Windows Mail and intend to change to another host.

Ask a Question