SOLVED Virtual Memory - Do I have this right ?

Reaction score
Both Drives are set to "System Managed."

In doing some reading came across a link that said to store the page file on a HD that has the most free space. Guess I should have bought a terbyte HD.
Any way the new drive is 500GB and the C drive is 320GB, But then after various back ups (including system images) the new drive and over time could get close 300GB.

With respect to the error. came across these 2 suggestions :
1. Check security permissions on disk. To do this open My Computer and right-click on your C drive.
Click on Properties, Choose the Security tab.
I checked this - all are checked, except for Special Permissions.
2. Run REGEDIT and go to - 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management' and
deleted the PagingFiles key.
Then back into the paging file settings and changed it to No Page File,
click Set, and reboot.

Not about to do either until I hear from the forum.

Thx

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
sethm1 - to be honest with you, you're making a mountain out of molehill here.

You're being WAY TOO anal about all of this! Relax... have a beer, smoke a cigarette or your favorite spliff.

1. You don't need a TB drive. You DON'T have to store the Paging File on the drive with the most space, that is a fallacy. You DO need to make a separate partition for it. Those who tell you that you don't need the separate partition are misleading you. It works best this way. Just make sure the the partition is at the beginning of the hard drive.

2. Put the Paging File on your secondary hard drive and set for either fixed @ 6 GB size minimum and maximum, or minimum of 6 GB and maximum of 9 GB. Make the partition size for the Paging file about double your RAM, so 12 GB is about right.

3. Take it off your C drive... period. End of story!

4. System Managed will NOT keep adding to the Page File making it grow like some cancerous tumor, okay?

5. You don't need to use regedit to mess with any of this at all. It is totally unnecessary.

6. Why don't you just trust me on this one and try it out? Hmmm? I've been screwing around with the Paging File / Virtual Memory for years and what I've recommended to you works.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes, I know spending more time on this.

Why did I get the error msg?
And why do I have 2 recycle bins?

I do appreciate your time.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I don't know why you got the error message.

I hope you don't mean two recycle bin icons!

Recycle Bin will allocate automatically space on each drive and partition for itself. To eliminate that right-click on the Recycle Bin icon and go to properties and you can turn it off on the drives / partitions you choose to.

Why are you continuing to label one of your hard drives as the B drive? That is NOT the way it is done. As I said before, A & B drives are reserved for the traditional floppy drive hardware, even if you use an external USB floppy drive. It confuses Windows parameters and some programs when you label a hard drive other than C and above. Also remember that D & E are traditionally reserved for CD/DVD drives.

Here is a screenshot of my Computer window:

I suggest you reinstall Windows 7

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off since you have system managed storage then you SHOULD have a partition just for the pagefile - it is the only way to keep it from Fragmenting and keep it in the shortest seek time. You don't need the separate partition if it is FIXED.

As for the two recycle bins, if you mean this ...

it's normal.

Reaction score
Re-partioned - though it came out as 11.9 GB.
I then changed the C drive to No paging file- as I did with the partion that will be the Back Up.

The partition that will hold the paging file is set at 6144 MB & 9216 MB.

There is a $RECYCLE.Bin folder on the B & M drive.
When I went to delete a test file it shows in the Recycle folder on the desk top as well as in both B & M drives.

How again do I prevent this (from duplicating it self) ?

As far as the Drive letters - B was the first choice.
E drive is the first USB port (I have a 12-in-1 card reader).

Update - Changed the drive letters (see attachment) so far no issues with changing the drive letters- I did get a warning on each change: "Some programs that rely on drive letter might not run correctly. Do you want to continue?"
I am sure this is Microsofts 'release of liability"

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's not duplicated, it's simply a pointer, the real deleted file never moves.

As for the $Recycle.Bin - you should never be in there, it's a system file. Use Recycle Bin (no $, no .) In fact I recommend that once you have the pagefile done ... did you reboot? are you done? ... that you go to Win Explorer ... Organize ... Folder and Search Options ... View Tab ... and Check "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". Then close and reopen Win Explorer - the $Recycle.Bin should not be visible any longer, only the ones you should use will be there at the bottom.

Reaction score
Followed the steps to Check "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".

Yes that folder no longer shows in either the new Back up partition or the Paging File Partition (I just renamed it from Virtual Memory - see above attachment).

The Back Up partition is now drive letter E and the Paging file partition is drive letter M.

So seems all good.
Question though - even though I hid the $Recycle.Bin from these 2 drives, are deleted items still sent there? If so, If I ever run out of room by having too much recycled, what kind of system error would I see ? You mentioned that the deleted items are really pointers.

Also - I changed the back up options - so that the back up & images go into the E Drive.
I set it to the first option (where the system chooses what to back up).

Do I need to create a new System Repair Disk ?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The pointer is stored there, and if you click on either of the "Recycle Bin" folders at the bottom of Windows Explorer you will see what is still listed.

Anything in the recycle bin is available to be overwritten. It is my understanding the system will use unused space first before deleted files with recycle bin pointers but it will take what it needs.

One of the things CCleaner and similar products do to free up space is empty the recycle bin. You can also empty it yourself; simple right click on the Recycle Bin folder and you will see the option. Technically even then you haven't deleted anything except a pointer.

If you haven't done so already, please go to thread tools and mark this closed. And never use any of Nibs relaxation suggestions - you're too young; heck, I'm 45 and I'm too young!

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
And never use any of Nibs relaxation suggestions - you're too young; heck, I'm 45 and I'm too young!
I was being facetious!

Always use CCleaner to wipe the Recycle Bin's items, it will eliminate everything.

You don't need the separate partition if it is FIXED.
No, it's not a "necessity" but on a separate partition is just works better that way. It keeps it segregated from all other files.

Reaction score
Thanks - I'll start a new thread on the System Repair Disk issue - as kind of off topic.

Ask a Question