SOLVED Virtual Memory - Do I have this right ?

Reaction score
PC is Windows Home Prem 64 Bit
6 GB RAM
C drive is 250 GB.

I bought a 500GB internal hard drive - this will be my back up drive.
I have not yet back up anything into it. What I have done is SATA cable 'kit' connected the 500GB to my PC via a USB port.
I then split it up (created a partion) so now have 2 drives - an E & a K.
E will be my back up drive and is allocated with 465GB and labeled as "BackUp Drive.
The K drive is allocated with 8.92 GB (roughly 1.5 times the 6 GB of RAM) and label "Virtual Memory" yes it was supposed to be 9216 - not sure how I lost 81.92 MB

Next I want to (of course unplug the PC) connect this new 500 HD internally.
Ultimately I will rename the E drive as a "B" Drive and leave the K as K.

Then I will go into the Advanced settings, click on Virtual Memory and click "change"
"Automatically manage Page file size for all drives" should be unchecked.

Then I will select "K" and set the initial and the maximum to 9216 or should they both be 9134 MB ?

then click OK and all good to go and that then the C (main) drive and the PC should be good to go?

Yes, did I miss anything?
Not sure how to get the K drive to be at least 9216 MB (9GB) or leave it at 8.92 GB ?

Thx

Oh, currently the C drive is set to "system manage size"

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Basically you're doing everything correct except for a couple of things.

Some people still go the RAM X 1.5 to get the Paging File size. (Re: Virtual Memory).

I just made mine the same size; 6 GB of RAM - 6 GB Paging File. You don't need to leave it on the C drive anymore, the K drive you've chosen will work just fine. Besides living the Paging File or virtual memory on the C drive causes it to get fragmented quicker.

For a Paging File on a second hard drive, most users will put it at the front of the drive on the outside edge of the platters, where it's the fastest.

|----9 GB---|--------------------------------------------------465 GB----------------------------------------|

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management then Disk Management and select the drive and from there you can delete, create and adjust your partitions. As you stated, 9 GB should be 9216 MB after using the 1.024 multiplier.

Then go to Computer, Advanced Settings and eliminate the Paging File on the C drive and configure it for the K drive. Then restart the system.

I hope this helps.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Whenever you create a partition there is overhead and you will loose some. Also because of how sectors are addressed and platters are accessed it can be inefficient so the system will adjust your numbers some.

It used to be recommended that your page file be on a FAT32 formatted drive but I cannot find out if that is still the case. Some of what I have found question if it is even beneficial to have the page file on a separate drive any longer, stating that Vista on handle paging much more efficiently.

I can state fairly confidently that as long as the drive is externally connected via USB you will be hurting your performance to put the page file there.

Reaction score
How do I swap the partion sizes - so that 9GB ( and that this time it is 9GB and not 8.92) is up front?

Could I still be able to name the front partition K and the other B?

I am only connecting this 500GB via USB until I get the formats/partitions right.
I guess after that I would then connect it internally AND THEN copy stuff onto the larger partion size.

I really want the BackUP Drive (partion) to be Drive B and the Virtual Memory Drive partition to be K. I have a 12-1 Card Reader and currently J is the last used drive. so when I formatted that partition it automatically chose K.

Thx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is empty just merge them back together and start over.

You can name it Z: if you want. Go to administrative tools & pick Computer Management ... Storage ... Disc Management
You can even change your 12-in-1 slots to an order that suits you with "Change drive letter and paths". If you want to switch E & F simply rename E to x, F to E, and x to F - tada switched. Or maybe you want your DVD after your 12-in-1, also no problem.

Two things to note: 1) A: & B: were always reserved for floppy drives so I wouldn't name my HD B:, it might be fine but I don't want to be the one to test it. 2) If you change the drive letter AFTER you have installed from/to that drive it may cause programs to get confused or even fail (this is why it warns you when you change the drive letter in computer management) ... When I moved my DVD drive from D: to E: I ran a registry scan for D: and I changed them to E:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could I still be able to name the front partition K and the other B?
Yes after the partitions are made you can still change the drive letters using any partitioning software.

I am only connecting this 500GB via USB until I get the formats/partitions right.
You might as well go ahead and connect the drive the way you want it to be installed.

I really want the BackUP Drive (partion) to be Drive B and the Virtual Memory Drive partition to be K.
You have that option if you want it that way. Drive letters A and B used to be reserved for floppy drives , they still are but you can assign them to any drive regardless.

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

RE: the Floppy drives and A&B-
I had a back up drive on my last PC (Vista) and when I connected it (internally), the PC automatically named it B. Since I am used to that, thats how I hope to keep it here.

I dont have partition magic so hoping the Windows Disk Mgr will suffice.

Take care.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
"Partition Magic" will not work with Vista or W7 because they now have their own boot managers and could conflict but there are other products that do work. Frankly, on an empty drive the windows partition works just fine, it's only when you try to move pieces with data or if you have partitions A-B-C and you decide you want to merge AC that windows can't handle.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Partition Magic was the only 3rd party software I could think of.

Reaction score
Just thought of something -

By putting the virtual memory on the new (500GB) drive - will this indeed help the C drive and the PC itself?

For the C drive (in the Virtual Memory screen) do I leave it as "System Managed"?

Thx !

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Just thought of something -

By putting the virtual memory on the new (500GB) drive - will this indeed help the C drive and the PC itself?

For the C drive (in the Virtual Memory screen) do I leave it as "System Managed"?

Thx !
Yes to the first question! It most certainly will help.

Make the C drive with NO paging file. Highlight the C drive, click the "No Paging File" button, then click "Set" and then Okay to exit.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I highly doubt he's going to see any noticeable improvement in performance, unless he customarily runs the whole Adobe Master Collection simultaneously. If the newer drive has higher rpm, I'd replace that as the system drive. Beyond that, I don't see the point. It was different back in the day when a 32-bit XP system with 1 gb or 2 had Firefox leaking memory, the pagefile got hammered on, and end users typically couldn't be bothered with defrag. With 7's automatic defrag and his 6 gb of memory on a high-end system, I honestly just don't see the point.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It was once highly recommended (for Windows XP) but as I said there is some question as to whether it is of any benefit since Windows Vista and beyond. So the answer is MAYBE though I highly doubt it.

Just buy a SSD (Solid State Drive) and you can disable it completely. :D

Reaction score
Just buy a SSD (Solid State Drive) and you can disable it completely. :D
I don't think the page file can be disabled simply because you purchased an SSD drive. You either need a page file or you don't, an SSD drive has no bearings on this issue.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I believe the Page File is moved to another hard drive on the first partition when using an SSD.

Reaction score
Hmmm - so now I am thinking - just use the new 500GB as my backup and do so as one drive (and not partitioned).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's how I use mine, and mine is an external USB so I can take it to my Brother's house to work on those.

Reaction score
Thanks, so big circle back. Oh well. Glad I asked before doing the partition.
I did not realize how much better 7 is over XP is.

Reaction score
installed the new drive with no problem - so far.
Next to tackle the back ups.

My Tower has 5 slots for HD's.
The C was in slot one (the very bottom).
I move it to slot 2- thinking it will have more air flow.

I put the new drive in slot 4 (2nd from the top).

Should this new back up drive be set to "No paging file" OR "System manage sized" ?

Last edited:

Ask a Question