Video keeps stops responding

Reaction score
Hi All,
I hope I'm in the right area. I recently moved to Win 7. On the 1st computer, a Gateway Laptop which had Vista. I did an upgrade no problems. After a week or so, the screen problems started. I wondered if it was a Windows Update that started it?
On the 2nd computer, an Acer 10" I had XP so did a full install, not an upgrade (can't anyway). On both machines, I get a message after the computers are in sleep mode, or in Screen saver, that the video accelerator with Vista in the message (it goes by so fast), has stopped working, then the screen comes back up.
I've checked Microsoft, the computer manufacturers and can't find anything. Would anyone have an idea why I'd get this? I've even tried to track it down the Driver Fetch, but no luck. I can't figure why the 2nd computer, which had XP would have the same problem.
Any ideas? I hope I explained it right.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Alex82 - Welcome to w7forums

Is there a reason why you flagged the thread solved?

Did you figure something out on your own? :)

Reaction score
I misread something at the top. It's not solved, Thanks for letting me knowl.

Reaction score
I had to log off and see if I could catch the message: It says: The graphics accelerator for Vista has stopped responding.
Not sure where Vista is coming from as the computer came with XP. Oh well. Any ideas. It happens on both the old Vista and this new one.
Thanks

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Alex82, this is curious, the same problem happening on two separate computers. Do you still have your install disc(s)? And your backups prior to installing 7? If so, try reinstalling, one at a time. Being that the former XP based one was a clean install, try redoing that one first. As soon as you have everything updated and running right, create a system restore point and do a backup of it, so you have something to fall back on. Then reinstall the other one, and do the same. Go to Driver Max (with both computers) and update any drivers you need. You can get two free drivers per day, or you can pay, and get unlimited drivers for a year. In fact, you can try this first, if you want. But reinstall or not, your drivers need updating on both systems. If you have patience, and don't need both computers right away, you can update them for free. Hope this helps, Alex82, should you need anymore assistance, post back anytime.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Did you use the same Windows 7 disc for both installations?

Reaction score
Hi All, yes I did use separate CD's for each installation, and not the same ones. 1 upgrade, and the other a full version. On checking at Intel's site, their check tells me I have an up-to-date driver. Obviously not, but I'll follow other ideas and comments to me. Thanks so much.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi All, yes I did use separate CD's for each installation, and not the same ones. 1 upgrade, and the other a full version. On checking at Intel's site, their check tells me I have an up-to-date driver. Obviously not, but I'll follow other ideas and comments to me. Thanks so much.
A third party driver check would be best, that's why I suggested Driver Max. Intel doesn't offer drivers for my laptop anymore. For some reason, they apparently think after five years or so, you no longer deserve support. Dell offers drivers way longer than that.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I went to Driver Max and got their program. I had so many out of date drivers, I couldn't believe it. I got an updated driver but still having the same problems. I'll keep checking try some of the other drivers maybe something is linked. Again, thanks.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Once you get your drivers updated, you should see a big difference. Especially with your former XP computer, being that it was a clean install. I know this firsthand, as I've clean installed one myself. But I had to update several drivers, someone suggested Driver Max to me, and I'm satisfied. Your former Vista computer, I never had Vista, and I've never done that type of upgrade, so it would be hard for me to advise you there. But updating drivers can't hurt. There is a way for you to do a clean install with an upgrade disc. Go to the black toolbar with all of the different options of the forum, click "Search", enter "clean install with upgrade disc" w/o the quotes, make sure that "threads" are selected. Go down to the thread that Nibiru2012 started "Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media", that will tell you in detail how to clean install using an upgrade disc. It was written by one of the best in the business, Paul Thurrott, who runs a supersite for Windows, he knows practically every trick in the book, when it comes to Windows. Check that out, and see if that will help.

Reaction score
Thanks Caittley, I went and had a look at the article. So much to take in. I may try that if I can't get this annoying problem to go away. Never knew you could do a clean install from an upgrade disc. Confusing thought with all the driver Driver Max has downloaded, you don't know where to start. :) Appreciate all your help here.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks Caittley, I went and had a look at the article. So much to take in. I may try that if I can't get this annoying problem to go away. Never knew you could do a clean install from an upgrade disc. Confusing thought with all the driver Driver Max has downloaded, you don't know where to start. :) Appreciate all your help here.
Alex, if Driver Max solves your problems, you may not need to reinstall. With the former XP one, I see no reason to, unless you're still having problems. I mean, you HAVE to clean install with it, if you have done that, then updating your drivers is all you can do. Many systems meant to run XP has no Aero, so your screen won't look as good. But otherwise, it should run as good, you should have longer battery life, boot faster, programs load faster, shutdown faster. That's my experience. Post back if you need any more assistance.

Ask a Question