video interference - looks like RF - software or hardware?

Reaction score
I have herringbone (sometimes colored, sometimes just green) noise on various video and picture files, especially when online with FireFox, but also occuring infrequently in IE8, Opera and Chrome. It appears mostly on certain Adobe flash files, but in FireFox It's also on some jpegs, and the patterns are random and sometimes not present. I have used Premiere Elements & various browsers for years on my XP 32-bit computer (self-built) before without any problems like this, but on the new Win 7 64-bit machine (also self-built), the little lines and dots are frequent in both capture and in editing. The same is true when I try to work with avi files in VirtualDub, and I had the problem with Cyberlink's PowerDirector 7 video editor. But when I upgraded to PowerDirector 9 (totally 64-bit), all noise and interference was gone! I need to know if this is a hardware or software problem. Could the problem be totally 32-bit vs 64-bit related? I've also noticed very infrequently that thumbnails of large photos I've taken will show the herringbone lines, but the full pictures never do. In video files the interference looks like old televisions used to look when you would turn on an electrical appliance (such as a mixer or vacuum cleaner) on the same circuit, but I have changed circuits and also switched video cards with no effect. I have tried updates & different versions of graphics and other drivers, but nothing of that sort mitigates the problem. If it's software related, I can work around it and wait for drivers, browsers, flash programs, etc. to catch up, but if there is hardware noise leakage, I need to do something about it. I've included a captured picture from FireFox.

Attachments

Ask a Question