Video clip stutter start

Reaction score
Damn these machines. I hate 'em! Tried to show a screen shot o' my system and was notified the post was too long. Anyway, my videos won't play through smoothly. I downloaded an accelerator and that didn't help. This is w/ Win 7 on my HP desktop with all the bells & whistles (too many).

If you ask what I have, please tell me where to look.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What video player are you using (the default is likely Windows Media Player). You might try a different player. My personal favorite is VLC.

You didn't mention what type file either, is it .AVI, .MP4, what? Different file types require different codecs to play properly and are not always covered by W7s defaults. A good general codec pack is usually best to cover most file types but installing multiple overlapping codec packs should be avoided. Personally I use K-Lite but another good choice is CCCP (you should only use one or the other if at all) Neither are included with W7 and so unless you installed one you don't have it but if you did you might mention which.

To attach larger videos etc to your post what you would need to do is post them to an upload site (youtube, fileserve, flickr, etc) and then provide the link to your upload. Size limits are set on files uploaded directly to w7forums to help control server costs because larger files take more storage space and use more bandwidth.

So please specify the file extension and the player and if you want to upload the actual video to a file store then you can also provide that link.

Reaction score
Well, I don't really know. I have the file I was trying to watch running now and I really can't seem to determine any info, but this is the url: http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/videos/StartingMapTool/StartingMapTool.html

As far as what I'm using for a player, I'm not sure. I tend to avoid YouTube and places like that, but I just checked the media player and it didn't seem to have been initiated. I know there's RealTek somewhere on this beast and who knows what else.

Reaction score
I really, really hate computers. It's the only way I can even begin to track my money (not that there's a lot of that). I'm in way over my head and I hate it!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ahh OK. You are trying to view a video online, in a browser. This is different than a file on your PC which is what I thought you meant.

The most likely cause of studdering on web pages is your internet connection. Video takes quite a bit of downloading (Kilobytes of data) just to display a second of video w/ sound. Because of this videos may stop and often you see a message saying "buffering". Generally the most effective way to deal with this (aside from buying more bandwidth from your ISP) is to go to the page and immediately hit the pause triangle. Then allow the video to buffer a bit before you start it.

Some sites also offer different "sizes" for people with lower bandwidth connections. HD options usually need the highest bandwidth while people with slow connection might try "240p" if it is available (I know youtube offers these choices, not all sites will).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll have a little bit of a stutter problem too. Since nearly most online video is FLV or Flash video I have found that clearing the browser cache will usually always help.

Reaction score
Sometimes I'll have a little bit of a stutter problem too. Since nearly most online video is FLV or Flash video I have found that clearing the browser cache will usually always help.
I've found this to help webpages load faster too. Especially if the cache has not been cleaned in over a month.

I know someone who never cleaned their PC and had over a Gig of data in Internet cache. My jaw dropped to the floor when I noticed this.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This was the case with my mom-in-law's PC. I ran CCleaner Portable on it, it had almost one and a half GB of temp internet files alone. Not counting the temp system files. She had that PC for 6 years & never used the Disc Cleanup tool, nor the defrag tool. Didn't even know they were there, nor what they were for.

It was also running at 64% fragmentation. All of these things leads to performance loss.

Last night, on my notebook, I was trying to see my folding stats on Extreme Overclocking, and I had trouble getting the page to load. A reboot cleared it up. It had been over a month since it had last been rebooted, over 40 days in fact. I really didn't want to do it, but past experience showed me that sometimes a simple reboot fixes things.

But that reboot cleared things up, and I was able to browse as usual. Hopefully that raises my points too, they were off about 2,000 from the previous 2 weeks, although I did complete more WU's.

Cat

Ask a Question