USB1 and USB2

Reaction score
I bought a Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 motherboard and it has USB1 and USB2 which I want to use. Does each USB support 2 USB ports so what can I buy to get it to work. I should get 4 ports out of it but I don't know if it's USB 2 or USB 3?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The slots labeled USB1 & 2 slots are to power up to 4 USB 2.0 slots (2 each) on the front of your case. The USB 3.0 connector to power up to 2 USB 3.0 devices is 90 degrees away near the "ErP Ready" Markings.

Richard039-mobo.jpg

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Typically the front of you case will already need at least one of the USB 2.0 slots for multimedia or USB connections.

But if it doesn't include a multimedia manager you may want one to handle various Memory Cards (cameras, phones, etc). And decide if you want to use an external 5.25" or 3.5" bay.

If the case doesn't include a multimedia manager then something like this Rosewill RDCR-11004 5.25" will use at least one USB 2.0 as well as a USB 3.0 connection and a 5.25inch exposed bay and 2 Molex connections from your PSU:
Richard039-InternalMultimedia.jpg

Just do a search on "internal USB 3.0 hub" and look at the various options to pick one that suits your needs.

Ask a Question